WHIFs found at HyperScale

Started by philp, January 06, 2009, 07:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 20, 2017, 12:01:51 AM

Anything beyond reality (whatever THAT might be... :rolleyes:) seems to scare people.

It works for me, we'll just keep on scaring them from in here.  :thumbsup: ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Many people are scared by people with imagination (in any field) because they're afraid of "What Might Be" (or, often in our case, "What Might Have Been") &, no matter how adept & flexible their minds may be in their own field, change is an incomprehensible & terrifying thing to them.

I have to admit that, in some areas, it is to me, too.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on January 20, 2017, 02:17:34 AM

I have to admit that, in some areas, it is to me, too.

For most people as they get older change becomes more difficult to handle, mainly because you are comfortable with what you know. I do try and adapt but I'm not as flexible as I once was. Not in all areas of thought/activity, but definitely in some.

As for the build it looks nice but I'm still trying to place the build against the guys words ? Just seems slightly hypocritical to me and he obviously doesn't understand the genre.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Could it be that this feller was trying to be jovial and maybe a bit self deprecating? "I won't bother with a back story" Then proceeds to tell it anyway.  "I think this is silly, but here I am doing it."  etc.

I'd like to give the person the benefit of the doubt. Kind of like when I call one of my builds a pile of boo-boo or something.. I don't REALLY mean it.. but uhh....  I try to make it a lot more clear that I'm joking about. I'd like to think rather than this guy being dismissive of whiffery that he is just not that great at joking about. 

I can say this.. I absolutely LOVE this model.. it's magnificent.
-Sprues McDuck-

Glenn Gilbertson

Quote from: TheChronicOne on January 20, 2017, 08:59:19 AM
Could it be that this feller was trying to be jovial and maybe a bit self deprecating? "I won't bother with a back story" Then proceeds to tell it anyway.  "I think this is silly, but here I am doing it."  etc.

I'd like to give the person the benefit of the doubt. Kind of like when I call one of my builds a pile of boo-boo or something.. I don't REALLY mean it.. but uhh....  I try to make it a lot more clear that I'm joking about. I'd like to think rather than this guy being dismissive of whiffery that he is just not that great at joking about. 

That's certainly how I read it - maybe we share a warped sense of humour? A magnificent model & it gave me a laugh.

DogfighterZen

You could be right... although it seems to me that he's not really laying out the backstory, more like being sarcastic about the type of stories we make up for our builds... like it's a silly thing... :unsure:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Snowtrooper

In the web, without being already acquainted with the poster, you'll never know. In the absence of smileys, sarcasm without context cannot be detected.

Then again, this is from a recent discussion in a Facebook group where I was shown my place (by a poster I didn't know, so can't really tell if serious or not):
"One should never do something on a feeling, unless it's purely a practice model. The variant, paint scheme and decals absolutely must match. If you want to build an olive drab Fortress, you well should acquire the appropriate decals to go with it."
"But whiffing is what makes modelling so fun, you're free to express yourself while doing it! And no one is still forbidding you to be as historically accurate as you wish!"
"If you ever want to develop yourself as a modeller, only the strive for historical authenticity is going to advance your skills. Then you won't do things in half-measure, by looks only, and cutting the corners. The quest for authenticiy compels you to carefully examine eg. photos, and only that helps your eyes to develop, and that's quite an important thing in that modelling business."
Gimme a J! Gimme a M!...

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Snowtrooper on January 20, 2017, 03:30:52 PM

"If you ever want to develop yourself as a modeller, only the strive for historical authenticity is going to advance your skills. Then you won't do things in half-measure, by looks only, and cutting the corners. The quest for authenticiy compels you to carefully examine eg. photos, and only that helps your eyes to develop, and that's quite an important thing in that modelling business."

Gimme a J! Gimme a M!...

What a load of cobblers!  :banghead:

Building Whiffs builds FAR more modelling skills than slapping together one of today's milimetrically accurate mouldings. It takes engineering skills, measuring skills, cutting and filing skills, PSR skills to the max, as well as all the normal skills you need to build OOB! Not to mention which you need some artistic talent to imagine the model you're building in the first place, one 'skill' that's totally lacking in building RW OOB models.

I'll add the last 'N' for you...........  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

DogfighterZen

In the web, without being already acquainted with the poster, you'll never know. In the absence of smileys, sarcasm without context cannot be detected.

I think even smileys can be misunderstood, but i guess i used the wrong term... The thing is that he created some sort of scenario and details for the story and build, but then dismisses the whole thing as silly... and not just his build, but the whole idea of what-if builds. What do you call that? :unsure:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TheChronicOne

Then again, this is from a recent discussion in a Facebook group where I was shown my place (by a poster I didn't know, so can't really tell if serious or not):
"One should never do something on a feeling, unless it's purely a practice model. The variant, paint scheme and decals absolutely must match. If you want to build an olive drab Fortress, you well should acquire the appropriate decals to go with it."
"But whiffing is what makes modelling so fun, you're free to express yourself while doing it! And no one is still forbidding you to be as historically accurate as you wish!"
Gimme a J! Gimme a M!...

THAT, I'd say, without a doubt is someone that "doesn't get it" and was being, well, a JMN. 
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: DogfighterZen on January 20, 2017, 01:43:01 PM

You could be right... although it seems to me that he's not really laying out the backstory, more like being sarcastic about the type of stories we make up for our builds... like it's a silly thing... :unsure:

Yeah, I can definitely see that being the case. I'm just playing devils advocate I guess. Like Snowtrooper said, It's hard to tell through text sometimes. There's no body language or facial expressions or anything else to work with and often times this leads to wires being crossed as to intent.  That said, I wouldn't be surprised if he were completely serious.. I just wanted to pose the possibility that this person is just crap at joke making. 

I read through the comments there trying to gain more insight. Someone should just straight up ask if he was trying to be funny or if he really thinks whiffery, and his own work, is just so much "bollocks." 
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 20, 2017, 03:37:52 PM

Gimme a J! Gimme a M!...

What a load of cobblers!  :banghead:

Building Whiffs builds FAR more modelling skills than slapping together one of today's milimetrically accurate mouldings. It takes engineering skills, measuring skills, cutting and filing skills, PSR skills to the max, as well as all the normal skills you need to build OOB! Not to mention which you need some artistic talent to imagine the model you're building in the first place, one 'skill' that's totally lacking in building RW OOB models.

I'll add the last 'N' for you...........  ;D

HEAR, HERE!   
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

It is difficult to tell what the poster actually meant which to be honest is why I'm not that bothered. Life's far to short for that and there are a lot of models to build.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 21, 2017, 04:22:29 AM
It is difficult to tell what the poster actually meant which to be honest is why I'm not that bothered. Life's far to short for that and there are a lot of models to build.

Yes, totally right. I guess it's something that really should've been ignored in the first place, isn't? Doesn't really affect any of us or our models so no real sense in discussing what he meant... :thumbsup:
I guess that on my case, i can say it was the love i have for our type of modelling that was probably a bit too sensitive and JMN alarms went off... :angel: