Retro Spaceplane Scratchbash

Started by trekriffic, June 24, 2009, 09:08:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trekriffic

By the mid 1990's, rocket technology had reached a level of unprecedented sophistication, allowing commercial spaceflight between the inner planets to become a reality. Sleek rocket ships plied the spaceways between Earth and Mars ferrying excited passengers to and from the new Olympus Mons spaceport in comfort and style. Although such flights had become almost routine, there were the occassional equipment failures brought on by increased solar flare activity or unexpected meteor showers; sometimes the only thing standing between a ship and disaster was luck and the resourfulness of it's crew. There was also the danger posed by space pirates who selected targets seemingly at random; boarding liners to rob passengers of their valuables and ships of their cargo, even holding wealthier individuals hostage and demanding ransom ! Fearing that it was only a matter of time before a ship would be damaged so severely by piracy or astronomical events as to make onboard repairs impossible, the world's commercial space lines (TWA and Pan Am chief among them) appealed to the United States Space Patrol (USSP) to develop a search and rescue vehicle able to launch within 5 minutes of a distress call and capable of arriving on scene in 15 minutes or less. Funding was approved and development fast-tracked in 1995 on the Mars Advanced Rapid Response Vehicle or MARRV.
One year later, the first succesful space trials took place and soon a small atomic powered fleet of sturdy MARRV's stood ready to respond should the need arise. Equipped with a tail mounted laser cannon and capable of either horizontal or vertical takeoff and landing, the MARRV has been euphemistically dubbed "The Hummingbird" due to it's unique ability, thru a nozzle in its nose, to take on fuel (water) by inserting it in funnel shaped "blossoms" extending from an orbiting refueling platform:

Technical Data:
Wing span: 13.1 m
Length: 14.9 m
Height: 11.5 m
Power Plant: Nuclear reactor electrolytically splits water into hydrogen and oxygen to power 2 x Lockheed LM1-55MV multi-vector rocket motors mounted on wingtips and 1 x Lockheed LM1-110B rocket motor in the center.
Capacity: 21,727 kp
Empty weight: 25,036 kg (Terran)
Max. takeoff weight: 36,945 kg (Terran)
Max. speed: Classified
Range: Classified
Armament: Tail mounted SSX-7 laser cannon
Specialized equipment: Stern launched magnetic grappler claw and camera assembly.

This model started off as a Dollar Store Booklight:

The MARRV will eventually be part of a Martian diorama I'm constructing along with the Glencoe Mars Liner space rocket which is based on Disneyland's 1950's "Mission to Mars" ride; hence, I used a Disney 1950's futuristic mindset as my inspiration. For more WIP photos of this ship and my diorama go to my thread here:
http://z11.invisionfree.com/Modelling_World/index.php?showtopic=211

I have a few more pics in case anyone's interested.

Taiidantomcat

Great idea and a sweet model :o welcome aboard  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

chrisonord

Exactly what he said  ;D
welcome to the mad house.
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Weaver

That's excellent - love the working u/c legs!  :thumbsup:

You'll fit right in here!  ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

trekriffic

Not bad for my first scratch-bash eh ?  Thanks for your comments guys and I appreciate the welcome ! Look for another post soon of my completed Mars diorama. Here's the MARRV alongside the Glencoe Mars Liner I built prior to the MARRV. Both will be featured in the dio:

thedarkmaster

Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Ed S

That's terrific, Trekriffic.   :thumbsup:

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Doc Yo

Quote from: bluedonkey99 on June 24, 2009, 11:40:08 AM

looks like it would be right at home in an Ultraman episode! :thumbsup:

My thoughts exactly-nothing says "Science Patrol" quite like red and silver. Beautiful job!

sotoolslinger

Absolutely Awesome :wub: :thumbsup: :bow: Looking forward to the dio :mellow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Big Bird

trekriffic

Quote from: Big Bird on June 24, 2009, 01:06:58 PM
Looks great Trek and welcome

Hey there BB !

Fancy meeting you here !

:cheers:

trekriffic

Quote from: Doc Yo on June 24, 2009, 12:42:49 PM
Quote from: bluedonkey99 on June 24, 2009, 11:40:08 AM

looks like it would be right at home in an Ultraman episode! :thumbsup:

My thoughts exactly-nothing says "Science Patrol" quite like red and silver. Beautiful job!

Funny. Hadn't even thought of Ultraman but you guys are right !  ;D

tanktastic43

Ha ha! Nice one. Cool build and finish.  :thumbsup:

cthulhu77