1/700 Antietam Flightdeck--trade?

Started by sequoiaranger, June 26, 2009, 07:49:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sequoiaranger

I recently acquired a seemingly un-available Dragon 1/700 USS Antietam, the first Essex-class carrier to have an angled flight deck. I wanted this ship specifically as it was a non-Hurricane bow Essex and had the canted flight deck as well. I plan to use this for a "whif" of Furashita's Fleet's "Bon Homme Richard"---a fictional lengthened Yorktown-class carrier with the "first" angled deck. I figured I could easily lengthen the hull, side-decking, and superstructure from a "Hornet" kit, but I didn't know exactly how I was going to lengthen the flight deck and make it look good.

To my utter amazement and excitement, the excellent Dragon kit has TWO flight decks, identical except that one of them is clear (presumably to show off the workings of a hangar deck). I now have an EASY way to extend the flight deck for my longer model, but...

The clear deck is devoid of any engraved/raised deck detail (naturally, or you couldn't see through it, so if I use that in concert with the regular deck, the disparity of detail in the two will be visually readily apparent. I want the entire decking to look the same, and I really don't care which type of deck I use (If I use the clear one I will opaque it and scuff it up) but I need two of them.

So here is the "deal"---If you have the Antietam (or knows someone who has it) I will "trade" you whichever flight deck you want to use so you will have an identical spare, if you will send me the one you won't be using. If you don't want a flight deck in return, I can offer some 1/700 ships/aircraft sets, some 1/2000 ships (lots of those), some 1/1200 ships, or...?
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Sauragnmon

If she's hard to come by, then there's a problem in that it's not so likely.

You might consider looking up John Currie over at Modelwarships.com - he PROBABLY has an Antietam, or some of the resources - the man's going from CV-1 all the way up, and I Know he's in the midst of his essex barrage.

Another alternative would be to take the "decals" and turn them into stencils, which you could lay over the beautifully clean-viewed flight deck, with some basecoat paint on it.

OR, you could do the majority of the deck painted, and leave small view windows down into the hangar works, if you REALLY wanted to be fancy shmancy.

Just a few ideas to throw off your sounding board, Craig.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Nektarios1

I have a spare Antietam flightdeck i won t use. Contact me for details.

sequoiaranger

>I have a spare Antietam flightdeck i won t use. Contact me for details.<

**W*O*W**!

If you have the "private message" capability, let's use that for details. I see you are a relatively new poster here. You're already "earning points"!!

Thanks! ;D
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Sauragnmon

He may be new to Whif.com, but he's from Modelwarships - one of the boys who've followed over.

He's joined the dark side too, he likes the cookies.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.