Italeri 1/72 F-104C Starfighter "Nina"

Started by srkirad, June 29, 2009, 10:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

srkirad

Hello friends,

this is my latest what-if project, finished at the end of March 2009.

I believe it is a real refreshment for all of true F-104 Starfighter fans ;)

Model is finished in period January-March 2009, as a gift for 25th Anniversary of one very precious & close friend of mine - a girl that I treat as a younger sister! :)

It is Italeri's reboxing of old ESCI kit model.

Model itself is done as out-of-box, but the "camouflage" is something that gave "life" to this bird ;)

Here we go - kit primered with MM enamel Light Ghost Grey

I decided to make a little experiment here - primer's purpose on this model is also to act like a preshading for later colours!

Then I sprayed Humbrol matt White over Light Ghost Grey, but only on the middle parts of panels - panel lines stay in Light Ghost Grey - preshading effect ;)

Then I sprayed Humbrol 154 Yellow - FIRST layer - very thin one!

Preshading effect starts to become visible - just as I predicted! ;)

The next day, I covered whole model with second thin layer of Hu154 - final one!

from Tamiya tape I made masks for covering parts of model that suppose to stay in yellow colour...

Starfighter masked like a mummy... :D

Preshading for red part of camouflage - Humbrol 19 darkened with few drops of black colour...

Second colour of "camouflage" - Humbrol 19 - without any brightening to avoid getting pink-like tones of red!

Antiglare surface painted in black, everything unmasked (except canopy), and model covered with few thin layerd of Johnson's Future, as a basis for decals and wash...

Decals ready for applying... spanish roundels and RESCUE arrows are from ESCI Mirage F.1, few stencsils are from this Italeri Starfighter, while all other "anniversary" decals are homemade on computer and printed on decal paper on Xerox DC12 digital printer...

Decals applies and sealed with another layer of Future...

And voila... 25th Anniversary F-104C Starfighter - "Nina"! :)

few close-ups...

And in the end - model is delivered to its proud owner! :) :-*

"Camouflage" actually represents Spanish flag, as my friend (Nina) is passionate fan of Spain, while all numbers and markings are combination of real numbering layout of spanish planes, numbers connected to her birthday, greeting in spanish language, and few more personalized emblems and nicknames....

Work on this model was very joyful for me - and in the first place, inspired by one beautiful friendship!

This was a real surprise for her, and probably most unique birthday gift that she ever received! :)

Before I delivered model to her, I decided to see how it would act as a "contest bird" at one of our modelling contests in Novi Sad, on May 9th - model received bronze medal for 3rd place in "What-if" category, so I decided to give this medal to Nina together with Starfighter - simply, it is part of this model now! :)

Well, that's it from me, for now... I have few more models as WHIF subjects on my mind, but don't know when will I start work on them...

Regards,
Srdjan
There's a grey place between black and white, but everyone does have the right to choose the path that he takes...
Administrator of Serbian modelling forum "Maketarski Kutak"
www.maketarskikutak.com

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

HARIHAR

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Ed S

Nice model holding a nice model.

Great paint job.  Looks good on the Starfighter.   :thumbsup:

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Mossie

Pretty girl with pretty plane!  You have a thing for striking paint jobs Srdjan. :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

srkirad

thanx guys, glad you like this one ;)

Mossie, I think that next few WHIF projects I was thinking about, will somehow be in bright colours again! :D

Few airplanes that fell on my mind were Boeing 737-200, Bombardier Challenger CL604 and even DC-10... :D

so.. who knows... but for now I have a lot of "real world" airplanes and military vehicles to finish.. ;)

cheers mates!  :cheers:
S.

P.S.  pozdrav za Sombor iz Beograda ;)
There's a grey place between black and white, but everyone does have the right to choose the path that he takes...
www.maketarskikutak.com

Geoff

Ian the Kiwi Herder

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

cthulhu77

very nice project, indeed !  love the display as a whole, too !   :cheers:

Brian da Basher

Eye-popping gorgeous!!!

And the Starfighter isn't bad either!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
That's one of the hottest Spanish schemes I've ever seen!
:bow:
Brian da Basher

John Howling Mouse

Wow, that is one fine Starfighter.  But, am I the only one who cringed at the idea of her balancing it on her hand like that?!

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Shasper

Wait, there was a Chick in those pics?? Man I must be losing it . . . Great lookin model dude!

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

srkirad

thanx friends - glad you like it ;)

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on June 29, 2009, 06:32:12 PM
Wow, that is one fine Starfighter.  But, am I the only one who cringed at the idea of her balancing it on her hand like that?!

Actually, F-104 almost fell on the floor in one moment :D it just started to slide down the wall, fortunately we managed to save it from crash... it ran out of fuel!  ;D :lol:

Cheers mates!  :cheers:
www.maketarskikutak.com

sideshowbob9

Beautiful model. One of the best use of national colours I've seen  :thumbsup: