Boeing 557 Propliner

Started by Brian da Basher, June 29, 2009, 02:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

At the end of W.W. II, the Allies reaped a technological treasure trove from the ruins of Nazi Germany. Boeing was not alone in immediately incorporating swept-wings and jet engines in their commercial as well as military designs.

The Boeing 557 was supposed to be a mid-range airliner derived from their XB-47 bomber. Unfortunately, before the prototype was finished, the Korean War began and all jet engine production was requisitioned by the military for the duration.

Enter one of the first female project managers in the industry, Anne Achronism. Miss Anne Achronism redesigned the 557 to be powered by the new Studebaker Saambaa engine which was twice as powerful as any other piston engine. Fearing her cherished 557 project would be shelved, Anne Achronism decided to play offense. She met with American Airlines purchasing director Richard "Dick" Manho. Dick Manho was impressed with the range, speed and payload offered by the 557 and by Anne Achronism's short skirt, tight sweater and aerodynamic lines which caused him to nervously agree to buy the first twenty 557s off the line. With pre-orders in hand, Anne Achronism was easily able to convince the board of Boeing to order the 557 into production in 1952.

American Airlines immediately put the sleek new 557 on the lucrative Pecos to Taos run where it cut flight time and operating costs in half. Dick Manho was almost cut in half too after his wife discovered some "business proposals" from Anne Achronism.

The Boeing 557 went on to serve all American Airlines' routes under 1,100 miles and is probably most famous for flying Fess Parker from town to town during his American Fairground publicity tour. The last Boeing 557 was retired in 1966 and no examples exist today. In fact these photos and the evidence in the case of Manho v. Manho are all that's left of this elegant airliner.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

The basis for this project is the 1/144 Minicraft Boeing 757. Here's a shot of what it should look like:

Oops.

I started this as a quick, relaxing weekend project. Boy was I wrong. I thought I read a review somewhere that said the 757 was one of Minicraft's best 1/144 airliners, but of course that could be subjective. I'd forgotten the fair warning I was given about this kit from a fellow Whiffer and stepped into what could've become a bottomless pit of PSR. I wonder if Minicraft gets a kickback from the putty makers on every kit sold.

The first shot will give you a sense of the PSR joy involved. Fortunately, my standards of perfection are practically non-existant, so I was able to save myself from a PSR induced nervous breakdown...

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

The only modifications were replacing the jet engines with piston engines and props. The engine nacelles were made from 1/72 vacuform drop tanks and cowlings from a 1/144 DC-6. The props appear to be from 1/72 Gladiators and were from a trade with the most talented and gracious Sequoiaranger. Twin blade props may not be ideal for this type of aircraft, but I liked how they turned the radial engines from the DC-6 into inlines and make my 557 look fast.

The entire model was brush painted by hand with acrylics, Model Masters Primer Gray mostly. In a vain attempt to keep things simple, I used the kit decals which look like they fit if you go back and paint in the gaps.

This model took me a week to build, including two evenings of PSR.

I hope you enjoy the story and pics.
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

kitnut617

WOW!!!   :o :o :o :o                  :thumbsup:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

cthulhu77

I swear, if you don't start doing more w.i.p. pics, I am going to ask Sir Howling Mouse to take away your spats !

Nice work, I dig it completely !!!!    :cheers:

Brian da Basher

I'm really glad you like it. Unfortunately, all the in-progress shots I took before the putty went on were washed out from light shining through the huge gaps.
;)
Brian da Basher

Ed S

Pretty cool, Brian.  I think it would look better with multibladed props or counterrotating props. Something to more efficiently turn all that power into moving air. 

Good one.   :thumbsup:

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: Ed S on June 29, 2009, 04:55:31 PM
Pretty cool, Brian.  I think it would look better with multibladed props or counterrotating props. Something to more efficiently turn all that power into moving air. 

Good one.   :thumbsup:

Ed

See????  At any rate, consider yourself now officially "revered" as I'm still trying to figure out how to attach the wings on my own Minicrap 757.  Good job, BdaB.   :bow:
Who won the Manho vs. Manho case, in the end?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Acree

B777LR

When the SAAB 2000 grew up... :wub:

srkirad

hehe.. looks sooo interesting and sweet - mix of modern airliner body&wings and props...

excellent work Brian!  :cheers:
There's a grey place between black and white, but everyone does have the right to choose the path that he takes...
Administrator of Serbian modelling forum "Maketarski Kutak"
www.maketarskikutak.com

sequoiaranger

>The props appear to be from 1/72 Gladiators and were from a trade with the most talented and gracious Sequoiaranger<

I think the two-bladed props were from a limited-run injection mold made for the early-model 1/72 Hurricane I by "Aviation Usk" way back when.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Oh now you're simply showing-off !

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

sideshowbob9

QuoteAnne Achronism

The model is great but I love the backstory  :cheers:

Eddie M.

Another innovation from the Basher! That is sweet all the way around!! ;D
Look behind you!