Permission to use a profile?

Started by Av8fan, July 01, 2009, 06:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Av8fan

Hello,

I Have been checking the profile galleries and here are some fantastic profiles/ideas.  Thanks everyone!

I am interested in building a few kits based on what I have seen.

For example the Red Arrows Typhoon by Baders Bus.

Is it okay to build a kit based on a profile, or is it better to get permission first?  

The other question I have is Decals.  

Does anyone do reasonable cost decals?  Especially for this kit if I can get the okay.

I did do a quick search on both of these issues, but obviously have missed the answer(s)

Thanks in advance folks.

pyro-manic

As long as you credit the artist, I hardly think anyone would take offence if you built a model of their profile. I have a large folder on my computer of profiles I want to put into plastic, and I think most people are the same.

Decal-wise, it depends what you're doing. Red Arrows decals are available for the Hawk, but they would need work to get them to fit on a Tiffie.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

BlackOps

Personally I think it's pretty cool to see these profiles built up!
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

philp

Heck, sometimes we even do a Group Build based on the Profiles.

If you want to check with the artist, PM them, but I can't see any of our fantastic profilers who would not be flattered by seeing their visions in 3D.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Av8fan

Well,

I did email Baders Bus, but I think it may have been caught up in spam.  I dunno.

As for them seeing their visions in 3D, you have not seen my build quality lol.

The Rat

Quote from: Av8fan on July 01, 2009, 12:25:20 PM
Well,

I did email Baders Bus, but I think it may have been caught up in spam.  I dunno.

As for them seeing their visions in 3D, you have not seen my build quality lol.

You should see mine.  ;D

Welcome aboard Michael!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Av8fan

Quote from: The Rat on July 01, 2009, 12:30:46 PMYou should see mine.  ;D

Welcome aboard Michael!

Thanks!!!

I hope to be able to add some of my own builds eventually.

***fixed quote***

JayBee

I am not a profiler, I just like sticking plastic together, one way or another, and I do it for personal enjoyment.
I would suspect that any member of this forum, who happens to be a profiler, does their version of WhIFing for the same reason.
If I was a profiler, and I saw that somebody had built an actual 3D model of one of my thoughts, I would be jumping through hoops of joy!
Is there any one of our ( and I bow to their fantastic skill) profilers who would agree with this sentiment, or object to anyone using their ideas?

JimB
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Damian2

Heck as a profiler I'd be as chuffed as all get out to see one of my profiles turned into plastic!!!
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Maverick

AV, BBC is a rare visitor here.  He used to do quite a bit but has been sidetracked with the real world lately which is no doubt why you're not getting any response.

I'm quite sure, however, as would any of us that building the model would be quite a nice compliment.  It's been done with a few of my own profiles and definitely leaves a warm, fuzzy feeling.

Regards,

Mav

Av8fan

Thanks for all the replies folks. I appreciate it.

A fellow could go broke doing a lot of the profiles that I see on this site.

As for this project, clapping hands on to the Red Arrows decals is not as easy as I thought.

I may have to buy the entire kit. 

I am a big fan of the Blue/Blue Japanese F-2 scheme. 
Almost anything will look great in that.

I have a 1/72 YF-23 that I am looking at in that scheme. I think i am close colour wise.
Of course having lost one of the rudders does not help!  I think that will be my first ever scratch built item lol.

AeroplaneDriver

Welcome Michael!!

As others have said, most of the 2D artists who post their stuff here do so for the inspiration of the 3D artists.  Heck, occasionally I think a profiler does a profile of a model that is posted, so I think it goes both ways.  I think as long as the kit is built for your enjoyment and satisfaction and not to be flogged on Ebay, the general feeling is share and share alike around here.  

As for decals, for a Red's Typhoon I'd just get a sheet of plain white decal film and cut my own shapes for whatever 'arrow' scheme you come up with.  I just got an Xtradecal Hawk display aircraft sheet on sale at www.twobobs.net .  The striping wont work on a Typhoon, but you do get the new style "Royal Air Force" lettering at a decent price, along with some really nice decals to use on other projects.  FYI, if you ever do a Red Arrow's Hunter, the Airfix Hawk decals work perfectly on a Revell Hunter!!).  

Again welcome aboard!  Looking forward to your Red's Typhoon!   :cheers: :thumbsup:

EDIT:  Just checked and twobobs still have the Hawk sheet available for under $10US in both !/72 and 1/48.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....