Today was a good day ! - or was it !!

Started by Ian the Kiwi Herder, July 01, 2009, 08:40:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Been working my furry little a*se-off since we got back from our hols lat Saturday. However this morning I took a break from the mountain of ironing, the emulsioning of the walls, the gloss painting of a couple of internal doors and a few other 'domestics' and de-camped to the painting shed before the temperature in there got too hot to spray.

I had a green session: Starting with the lightest tone I sprayed the interiors of the following:-

1:48 Hasegawa A6M Type 22
1:48 Airfix Spitfire XVIe
1:48 Airfix Spitfire 22/24
1:48 Eduard P-400 & P-39
1:32 Hasegawa P-47

All enamels and almost all from the Humbrol stash !!  Now of these only the Spit 22/24 is going to be a What If, so this is the last time I'll mention the others on this site. But even at 11am this morning the paint was drying almost as fast as I could spray it.... I daren't even think about Alclad until the weather cools-off, considerably !! - Definitely a 'Good Day' .

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Captain Canada

I didn't hear any mention of beer in this so called 'good day' of yours !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Ian the Kiwi Herder

That came later, Toad.... Brought some WeissBier back from Germany.... Mmmmmmm :drink:

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

NARSES2

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on July 01, 2009, 08:40:43 AM
de-camped to the painting shed before the temperature in there got too hot to spray.

I had a green session: Starting with the lightest tone I sprayed the interiors of the following:-

1:48 Hasegawa A6M Type 22
1:48 Airfix Spitfire XVIe
1:48 Airfix Spitfire 22/24
1:48 Eduard P-400 & P-39
1:32 Hasegawa P-47

All enamels and almost all from the Humbrol stash !!  Now of these only the Spit 22/24 is going to be a What If, so this is the last time I'll mention the others on this site. But even at 11am this morning the paint was drying almost as fast as I could spray it.... I daren't even think about Alclad until the weather cools-off, considerably !! - Definitely a 'Good Day' .

Ian

I can't but admire your selection of kits there Ian  :thumbsup: I to have had trouble with modelling in this weather. Was trying to fix some canopies tuesday and the "Clearfix" was drying almost before I could apply it - gave up  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nev

Look on the bright side - its good weather for using "thick" superglue ;)  I can't even use that stuff during the winter in the garage...
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Don't know if it was the extreme temperature in my shed or a fault in the kit, but I just came to start weathering the interior of the Zero and whilst digging around the box, found the wings and fuselage warped. The wings are fixable and clamped together as this is written. The fuselages' however are beyond redemption and have already taken-up residence in my bin !!  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Anybody got a dead 1:48 Hasegawa Zero they can let me have (don't care if it's built, I can strip it down) ?? - don't care what state it's in, as long as the fuselage halves are intact: AFAIK the fuselage halves in the Hase kit are generic, only the wings change.

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

kitnut617

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on July 03, 2009, 05:59:44 AM
Don't know if it was the extreme temperature in my shed or a fault in the kit, but I just came to start weathering the interior of the Zero and whilst digging around the box, found the wings and fuselage warped. The wings are fixable and clamped together as this is written. The fuselages' however are beyond redemption and have already taken-up residence in my bin !! 

Reminds me of the time I painted a Meteor metallic purple (don't ask why) many years ago, I used an autobody spray-bomb and I thought I did a good job as there was no runs.  I left it standing on it's wheels to dry but when I came back to it next day, it was still on it's wheels but the rear fuselage and wing tips had all drooped until they were touching the ground, seems the paint reacted with the plastic somewhat ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

philp

Sorry Ian,
I have most of a Revell 32nd scale Zero but nothing in 48th.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

jcf

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on July 03, 2009, 05:59:44 AM

Anybody got a dead 1:48 Hasegawa Zero they can let me have (don't care if it's built, I can strip it down) ?? - don't care what state it's in, as long as the fuselage halves are intact: AFAIK the fuselage halves in the Hase kit are generic, only the wings change.

Ian

The Zero fuselage changed with the A6M3, the firewall was moved aft when the Sakae 21 engine was installed
effectively shortening the fuselage forward of the windscreen.
So you could use the basic fuselage parts from a Hasegawa A6M3 Model 32 or 22 or an A6M5 Model 52 (it'll have the heat
deflector plates for the ejector exhaust, but those can be ground off). The A6M2 Model 11 or 21 fuselages would be
too long.

http://www.wunderwaffe.narod.ru/Magazine/AirWar/03_New/Draw/02.jpg

http://www.wunderwaffe.narod.ru/Magazine/AirWar/03_New/Draw/index.htm

Jon