Bristol Freighter

Started by Weaver, July 01, 2009, 09:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Bought a copy of Classic British Propliners and have been  thumbing through the pages.  The Armstrong Whitworth Argosy caught my eye as the Bristol Freighter if kitbashed with either a C-119 or Noratlas could provide a four engined mini-Argosy. Heritage Aviation Models/DB resin do the Rolls Royce Dart conversion.
Of if you have the F27 Friendship.
If I haven't lost any Rotodyne engines to the carpet monster I'd use them.

tigercat

How about as a glider . lose the engines and it wouldn't   look out of place next to a Horsa or Hadrian

dadlamassu

A glider version is certainly possible.  Many years ago I considered using an engineless Bristol Freighter as a substitute for a Hamilcar Glider.  Never did it as the the planned game was postponed indefinitely.  I still have the Airfix Freighter in the stash.

Military Freighter (Iraq)

Hamilcar Glider

tigercat

I can see the ressemblance :)

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

Quote from: dadlamassu on November 06, 2016, 04:05:13 AM
A glider version is certainly possible.  Many years ago I considered using an engineless Bristol Freighter as a substitute for a Hamilcar Glider.  Never did it as the the planned game was postponed indefinitely.  I still have the Airfix Freighter in the stash.

Military Freighter (Iraq)

Hamilcar Glider

And the spare nacelles and undercarriage could go on a Hamilcar, that would have a few people scratching their heads ---  :wacko:

Incidentally, one real Hamilcar which had engines installed, was made into an AEW. It had a huge radar dish mounted in the nose and had a bulbous fiberglass nose cone to fit around it. Got some photos of it in a book I have.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

McColm

If you intend to build a twin-boom twin fin version in 1/72 scale then the Airfix Bristol Superfreighter and the Italeri Fairchild C-119 or AC-119K wings fit together.
The tail section from the Airfix kit has to be removed and the upper fuselage tapered to fit the twin boom. The Airfix wings are put to one side , they could be used (but I'm using the AC-119K gunship parts on my build with turboprop engines). The landing gear on the C-119 might not be long enough for adequate ground clearance. (Haven't got to that bit yet). A strip of plastic card in the wheel-wells cut to fit might solve that problem.
I'll let you know how I get on.

Captain Canada

A twin boom version would be the Whistling Wheelbarrow  :wacko:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

KiwiZac

Quote from: Captain Canada on November 19, 2016, 06:48:20 AM
Coincidentally a New Zealand nickname for the real-world Armstrong Whitworth Argosy!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

PR19_Kit

Quote from: KiwiZac on November 22, 2016, 02:28:13 PM
Quote from: Captain Canada on November 19, 2016, 06:48:20 AM
Coincidentally a New Zealand nickname for the real-world Armstrong Whitworth Argosy!

And everywhere else as well. Those four Darts whine like the very devil!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

KiwiZac

I had a feeling it was a global thing! I've only ever seen one: parked outside a cafe across the road from its former base. Almost made me want a kit.

The Bristol, on the other hand...what a machine!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Captain Canada

I just think a four engine, twin boomed Freighter would be an Argosy  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

As you know I'm working on a twin engined version of the Argosy and a twin boom -twin fin Freighter. Both are based on the Italeri Fairchild AC-119K, which I'm going to have to build to compliment them. Possibly something based on the C-82 with an auxiliary jet on the roof. This features in the December issue of Aeroplane Monthly.

zenrat

Airfix really need to go and LIDAR a Bristol Freighter and then knock out a nice new 1/72 kit.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

rickshaw

Quote from: zenrat on November 25, 2016, 12:38:22 AM
Airfix really need to go and LIDAR a Bristol Freighter and then knock out a nice new 1/72 kit.

Ozmods is doing a 1/144 kit and Fly a 1/72 - both in the near future.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.