1/144 Hobbycraft B 58 Project

Started by Brian da Basher, July 02, 2009, 01:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sauragnmon

Brian, you sneaky devil - gunship gray on the inside - and I was thinking it was the use of a transparent paint like I'll use on the Japagripen and the F-3.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Supertom

"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

Brian da Basher

In 1960, attempting to milk their military B 58 design for all it was worth, Convair began work on a high-speed, executive transport version called the 999. Deciding the original engines were too thirsty to be profitable and that airlines had no need for a plane capable of Mach 2, the 999 was powered by two Pratt & Whitney TF30 engines which gave it a respectable top speed of Mach 1.2 with afterburners. The TF 30s also gave the new 999 a range of 1000 miles.

It may come as no surprise that the only customer for the delta-winged Convair 999 was Delta Airlines whose Comptroller, Edward "Fast Eddie" Money and his secretary, Rita D'Orito needed the ultimate in high-speed executive aircraft to fly between far-flung Delta offices to "go over the books".

Delta Airlines eventually bought the entire 999 production run of 9 aircraft, which were known by their crews as the Rustler, a nod to its more famous Air Force brother. Delta Airlines 999 Rustlers were in service from 1963 until 1975 and were made famous by flying Ricky Riccardo and his salsa band from New York to Tortilla, Mexico for a command performance before the Organization of America States at Nacho's Night Club in 1964.

While never operated in great numbers, Delta Airlines Convair Rustlers introduced many VIPs to supersonic travel who will never forget the experience of flying at Mach speed.
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

I finally was able to get this model completed after doing a little work on the seams and some touch up painting. The Delta Airlines livery from Flightpath is actually for a 1/200 DC-9 and seemed a good fit for the B 58. I added some passenger windows left over from a DC-3. The entire project took me four days from start to finish and was a nice break.
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

Daryl J.

Ahhhh......the ever fertile mind of BdB!    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Daryl J.

Sisko

Great build BDB! That looks like a fun weekend project!

It's nice to know that execs will be able to fly to places faster to make people rundant. Or beg for money from the gov ;D
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Ed S

Brilliant as always BdB.  The Hustler looks good in Delta livery.   :thumbsup:

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

sideshowbob9

Great concept & model! Love the TF-30s!

QuoteThe Hustler looks good in Delta livery

That she does!  :thumbsup:

thedarkmaster

Well it fooled me ( not hard I know ) into the military stereotype but this is top class....outstanding build  ;D  :thumbsup:
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

sequoiaranger

Hooray for you. This project is fabulous. Though not into airliners myself, I like the concept of "executive transports" made from military aircraft (and had some projects like that in my stash that was sold off last year). This one is an aesthetic beauty. "Delta" air lines--how appropriate. Next time I fly Delta I will request the "999 Rustler" and see what they say!

BTW, I appreciate that you shied away from making a "Hustler" into Larry Flint's personal aircraft! I shudder to think how it might be decorated!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

tigercat2

Great concept and extremely well done!!  Convair also proposed a number of other B-58 derivatives; some with non-afterburning J-58s!! 

Wes W.