Sisko's latest stuff

Started by Sisko, July 03, 2009, 05:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sisko

Well Modelling has been a bit fractured for me at the moment.

I have been busy with work and been layed up with the winter flu so I haven't managed as much modelling as I wanted to.

I have made it a goal this year to finish a lot of half started projects off and to also finish something every month.

This is an ambitious goal but it does motivate you. :wacko:

Anyway in the next couple of posts are a completed nearly completed and just about to be painted projects I am working on at the moment.

First is a the Games Workshop Leman Russ. This is one I decided to do bog standard without any modifications. I finished it in a custom desert colour. This model was used to test a chipping technique. The technique involved painting a base coat of tamiya hull red over the whole model and then painting the base coat. This was a custom colour made up off some left over tamiya paints I had. I then painted the highlights and drybrushed it.

Next step was to grab a used knife blade and scratch the paint work to the bare plastic below. GW kits are molded in dark grey plastic so it looks like primer and if I didn't scratch hard enough then the red primer comes through which gives it that slightly chiped rusted look.

This technique was limited in success and the finished effect was so so. When I painted the flat clear coat over the top I could see scrape marks on the paint that the clear coat seemed to highlight. It's not terrible but I am a bit of a perfectionist so I don't think that I will do it his way again.

I have since read some other chipping techniques that I will give a go on later GW kits.

Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Sisko

Next is the Hobby boss Aircobra.

I am inspired by the colours and schemes of marine animals and decided to give this a predatory scheme that you would find on something like a barracuda or shark.

I have to decal it and do some slight weathering on it then it is done!

As always these kits are alot of fun to build :ph34r:

Captain Canada

Nice work ! The weathering looks great !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Sisko

Cheers!

THe GW kits are fun to build like Hobby boss kits only more expensive.

Sisko

Last but not least is my Luft 46 anti shipping missile.

This a Heinkel P... blah blah blah (can't remeber the designation) kit from special hobby which has been sitting around part built for about 6 years. Yes 6 years. So long in fact I have lost the under carrige the canopy and the gear doors.

The special hobby Luft 46 kits are limited run so these kits need some lovin to get the best out of them. It is a real puttty hog (which is why it got left for 6 years) and considering the amount of detail lost in the repeated sanding and the lost bits from sitting around my shed for 6 years, I decided to build it as a anti-shiping missile similar to the huge Soviet ones like the "kitchen"

The premise is that Heinkel lost the contract to build this as a fighter but decided to market it to the luftwaffe as an anti-ship missile. It has a guidence system and a sizable warhead which can be augmented by external stores.

This missile would be slung under a a huge Luft 46 bomber and hauled far into the Alantic to cause all sorts of mischief :wacko:

buzzbomb

.. and why not.

the AS-1 Kennel http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/russia/bomber/as-1.htm was nigh on a Mig-15 so no reason why the Luft '46 would not have had the same idea..
or perhaps.. who stole what off whom ?

good one Stu

sequoiaranger

I just had a thought for displaying this "missile". Presuming it's 1/72, you could take an old bomber outer wing (maybe even a 1/48 wing of some sort, mount it with a stiff metal rod protruding from a jagged-edged inner boundary (representing a wing, but not supposing to BE a wing), and the missile mounted underneath. The rod, protruding horizontally out from the wing "root", then bends down at a 90-degree angle into a base. The wing is painted like a Luftwaffe bomber.

I had thought of this display method for a "human-guided missile" whif for a "Divine Wind '46" model I have conceived that would similarly be bomber-carried and otherwise look kind of silly just sitting on a shelf or "ground". Pardon the crude sketch--just a "concept" drawing.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

BlackOps

OK, now i'm itchin' to see that Aircobra finished!  They are all lookin' good  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: BlackOps on July 04, 2009, 11:16:45 AM
OK, now i'm itchin' to see that Aircobra finished!  They are all lookin' good  :thumbsup:

Me too - Always enjoy your stuff.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Sisko

Thanks for the feedback!

The camo on the aircobra was done using my tape and glass technique. Took awhile to get it right, because they are so small, I had to use a really sharp knife and make sure I had cut all the way through the tape. Because if I didn't I would get a raggedy edge as the tape tore slightly.

The aircobra was decaled and had it's first coat of clear last night. I have to do the panel lines and bit of weathering and assemble landing gear etc.

Should be finished this week.

I was thinking of mounting the luft 46 missile like you suggested but I have another idea. This one should be finished this month. Pity we don't have a finers crossed smiley. ;D

ChernayaAkula

Great stuff, Sisko! :thumbsup: Particularly like the "fishy" Airacobra and the anti-ship missile. Very neat idea!  :bow:

Quote from: sequoiaranger on July 04, 2009, 08:58:31 AM
<...>

What a flippin' cool concept!
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Sisko

Decaled and clear coated.

Awaiting panel lines and a bit of weathering. This won't be weathered to much as it is supposed to be an experimental camo job.

Least that's my story for not wasting much time weathering ;D

Brian da Basher

Woah!!! I'm really liking those white U.S. markings on that tiger stripe camo!
:wub:
Brian da Basher

lancer

also like the Aircobra. what is this 'Tape and glass' technique you use. I for one would be interested to know some more about it.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Sisko

Cheers for that.

This technique works very well when you want a hard demarcation edge to paint schemes.

I have a piece of glass which is left over from on old photo frame. I stick super wide tamiya tape ( used for masking R/C car bodies) down to the glass and cut out the desired shape with a very sharp knife.

You can use the knife freehand or mark the back of the tape and cut following the lines. Since I am whiffing I don't follow no stinking camo scheme so I use free hand all the time.

I can't stress enough that the knife must be sharp. When I am ready to cut tape I always put a fresh knife blade in, because if the knife is not truely sharp then you will either pull the tape from the glass or it won't cut through properly and you will get a raggedy or furry edge. Also don't cut with just the tip of the knife, cut using as much of the blade as you can, otherwise the tip will blunt very quickly, and it is easier to maintain control over the cut when using more of the blade.

When I have cut the shape I want I then gently lift the tape from the glass and stick it to the model.

All I can say is that it will require some practise. I refined the technique on my Republic cruiser and the camo job on my RAF B-36 was the first practical camo job I did with this technique. Once you get proficent at it, masking and painting becomes less of a chore and that can only be a good thing.