Excuse me while I whip these out

Started by tigercat2, July 05, 2009, 08:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat2

The wife was visiting her sister over a long weekend recently, so naturally I took the opportunity to whip up a few more What Ifs.

My current kick is Mirage F1s in USAF and USN service and F-104s with F-16 wings and tail, plus and occasional F-8 in USAF markings.  These markings, are of course, totally incorrect since it is a What if world.

Wes W.

tigercat2

AeroplaneDriver

OK...for that you are excused....Great stuff!!   :thumbsup: :wub:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

sideshowbob9

Some truly excellent models! I particularly like the tip-tank Mirages  :thumbsup:

tigercat2

Thanks, here are a couple of the F-104s with F-16 wings, plus a "normal" F-104.  For the Mirages, used F-104 tip tanks.

Wes W.

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

tigercat2

Here is a little bit better shot of a USN Mirage F1 with a USAF F-8.  I got the idea for the Mirage in USAF/USN service after looking at a model of the Lockheed Lancer; very similar planform.  If the Mirage had about a 6 foot extension ahead of the air intakes, it would be very close to a Lancer.

Wes W.

Captain Canada

That's some funky looking stuff ! The changes you have made really alter the look of the aeroplanes. Very cool !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

tigercat2

It is amazing what tip tanks can do; the Mirages are just stock Revell kits; some have F-104 wingtip tanks and some of the wings are painted white, as in many '104s.  I beleive that the Mirage F.1 was looked at as both an F-104 replacement and a few years later as a contender for the "Deal of the Century" that resulted in the big European purchase of the F-16.

Wes W.

sideshowbob9

Those F-16 wings really work for the F-104  :thumbsup:

tigercat2

I agree, the F-16 used is the Academy YF-16A, available from Squadron for about $7.00.  I take the wings and tail from the kit, and match it with a Hasagawa, Monogram or ESCI F-104.  A very simple mod but it looks good and is easy!!

I give the left-over F-16 pieces and the original F-104 wings and tail to a friend at work; he is building several really neat What Ifs using these parts.

Wes W.

Just call me Ray

Looking at those Mirages, I can't help but think of Grumman's proposal for the competition that led to the A-7, based off the F-11.
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

tigercat2

Quote from: Just call me Ray on July 07, 2009, 12:12:01 PM
Looking at those Mirages, I can't help but think of Grumman's proposal for the competition that led to the A-7, based off the F-11.

Excellent point about the F-11 similarity.  Will have to get a few more F-11s and build them as what ifs.  (already have one in West German markings, as if the F-11 had beat the F-104 in the late '50s).

Wes W.

Brian da Basher

It's always a great treat to see more of your work, Wes. I find your navalized Starfighter especially nice.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

tigercat2

Thanks for the compliments.  Here are a few more.

Wes W.