Shelf full of What Ifs

Started by tigercat2, July 06, 2009, 08:38:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedarkmaster

QuoteLike the Wyverns.... 

Me too  :wub:  :thumbsup:
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Tophe

Congratulations... :thumbsup:
What is this (detail below)? US Navy Twin-Mustang? And Korean Twin-Mustang? Tell us, please... ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

tigercat2

Quote from: Tophe on July 09, 2009, 09:32:07 AM
Congratulations... :thumbsup:
What is this (detail below)? US Navy Twin-Mustang? And Korean Twin-Mustang? Tell us, please... ;D

I have three Twin Mustangs;  one in NMF with blue trim that you identified, one in gloss black (pictured here with a P-67), and the tan one with Navy markings.  This is a special one; my grandaughter (age 6 at the time) was fascinated by the other two Twin Mustangs, and she wanted one of her own.  She and I built it, and the colors and markings are to her specifications.  She used one of my spare decal boxes and picked out what looked good; in the What if world, you are allowed to do that!!!

Wes W.

tigercat2

Here is the next portion of the shelf (the one that contains the two Twin Mustangs discussed above).

One of the blades on my oldest surviving model, the DO-335 has broken off.  I built it in March 1969, so give me a break!!  (It has been re-attached)

Wes W.

tigercat2

And here is the final 1/3 of these shelves; full of what its.

Wes W.

The Rat

Let's not also forget that many aircraft do not necessarily win a contract because they are clearly superior, but because of things like political considerations (location of manufacturer in an area that needs employment), financial considerations (helluvalot cheaper), and 'intangibles' (brown envelopes under tables, wild parties, vacations with 'travel wife' provided, incriminating photos). Now, I admit that I may be jaded by the way things are done in Canada, I'm sure it doesn't happen anywhere else.[/heavydrippingsarcasm]
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Sauragnmon

I'm with you there, Rat - look at other concepts like the TSR-2 and the YF-23 - two planes that in many dimensions performed spectacularly, but failed in the non-physical dimensions.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

sideshowbob9

Quote from: Weaver on July 09, 2009, 04:32:56 AM
Quote from: tigercat2 on July 09, 2009, 03:54:18 AM
Apparently you are a fan of the '105, as I am.  However, if the '107 had been selected,  our only knowledge of the F-105 would be remembered as a unsuccessful prototype, and we would not know how good it could have become.  Same thing with the XF8U-3 vs. F4U; the North American or Republic F-15 proposal vs. the Mac Air F-15, the A-9 instead of the A-10, etc.   I submit that in an alternate world, these aircraft would have been able to fulfill the mission, for we would never have known of the aircraft that really did make it in our reality.

I've made this point a few times in various places: people in an alternative reality might make what to us seems the wrong choice, but they wouldn't be aware of it because they wouldn't have the "right" choice to compare it to. The minority of folk over there who wondered what their world might look like if they'd gone for GD's YF-16 prototype rather than the thousands of F-17 Cobras they actually built would be dismissed as dreamers because the F-17, with it's twin engines and Sparrows was "obviously" better.....

Oh I entirely agree with you both.....but you may not take the Thud!  ;D

Also agree with the point made by The Rat & Sauragnmon re. political considerations  :banghead:

Now the photos.....

Black Thud..... Squeeeee. Obviously.

Other highlights for me are: the Belgian NF. Meteor, the RAF G.55s (again!), the Spanish Arado, the Venezuelan TBF?? and... and...

....what is it between the B-57 & Il-2? A Whirlwind? Any chance of seeing these up close at some point?

MAD

Quote from: tigercat2 on July 07, 2009, 10:26:21 AM
Here is a bit different angle on the Lightning with USAF Markings.  Backstory is that it was such a fantastic point interceptor that the USAF purchased several squadrons in the 60s, to help offset the UK purchasing the F-111K.  Then the USAF purchased a number of TSR-2s, of course.  I did not have a chance to purchase the Airfix TSR-2, unfortunately, and now I understand that they are no longer available in 1/72.

Wes W.

I would like to see more of your USAF Vought F-8 Crusader please!!

M.A.D

tigercat2

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on July 10, 2009, 04:25:48 AM
Quote from: Weaver on July 09, 2009, 04:32:56 AM
Quote from: tigercat2 on July 09, 2009, 03:54:18 AM
Apparently you are a fan of the '105, as I am.  However, if the '107 had been selected,  our only knowledge of the F-105 would be remembered as a unsuccessful prototype, and we would not know how good it could have become.  Same thing with the XF8U-3 vs. F4U; the North American or Republic F-15 proposal vs. the Mac Air F-15, the A-9 instead of the A-10, etc.   I submit that in an alternate world, these aircraft would have been able to fulfill the mission, for we would never have known of the aircraft that really did make it in our reality.

I've made this point a few times in various places: people in an alternative reality might make what to us seems the wrong choice, but they wouldn't be aware of it because they wouldn't have the "right" choice to compare it to. The minority of folk over there who wondered what their world might look like if they'd gone for GD's YF-16 prototype rather than the thousands of F-17 Cobras they actually built would be dismissed as dreamers because the F-17, with it's twin engines and Sparrows was "obviously" better.....

Oh I entirely agree with you both.....but you may not take the Thud!  ;D

Also agree with the point made by The Rat & Sauragnmon re. political considerations  :banghead:

Now the photos.....

Black Thud..... Squeeeee. Obviously.

Other highlights for me are: the Belgian NF. Meteor, the RAF G.55s (again!), the Spanish Arado, the Venezuelan TBF?? and... and...

....what is it between the B-57 & Il-2? A Whirlwind? Any chance of seeing these up close at some point?

That is indeed a Westland Whirlwind between the B-57 and the IL-2.  This is the Airfix kit, built in the spring of 1969 while at NC State University.  It has survived all these many years; will get better shots as soon as I can.

Wes W.

tigercat2

Quote from: MAD on July 10, 2009, 05:19:39 AM
Quote from: tigercat2 on July 07, 2009, 10:26:21 AM
Here is a bit different angle on the Lightning with USAF Markings.  Backstory is that it was such a fantastic point interceptor that the USAF purchased several squadrons in the 60s, to help offset the UK purchasing the F-111K.  Then the USAF purchased a number of TSR-2s, of course.  I did not have a chance to purchase the Airfix TSR-2, unfortunately, and now I understand that they are no longer available in 1/72.

Wes W.

I would like to see more of your USAF Vought F-8 Crusader please!!

M.A.D

I have done a number of Vought F-8s marked as USAF Birds; here are several.

tigercat2

Here is a little better shot of the Whirlwind; will get a better shot the next time I rotate the display.

Wes W.

tigercat2

"what is it between the B-57 & Il-2? A Whirlwind? Any chance of seeing these up close at some point? "

Here are two shots of some of the B-57 fleet, with an F-89 lurking in the background.  It is amazing the the F-89 is just about the same size as the B-57.

Wes W.

sideshowbob9

Nice Cranberries!  :thumbsup:

It's funny you should mention F-89s. Mine just took a nose dive of the shelf! It's repairable but still  :banghead: