Shelf full of What Ifs

Started by tigercat2, July 06, 2009, 08:38:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat2

Mrs. W. has totally redone my "model room" (new paint, carpet, desk and shelves), and it is much improved over the way things were.  I took all the models from the shelf, dusted them, put some up that had been in deep storage for several months,  and re-installed them on the new shelves.  These were placed pretty much at random, but the result is a majority are What Ifs.   Here is a shot of a portion of several shelves,  with a clear shot of the F-4 with the red tail that created some comments a few months ago.  I realize that in our world the tail is black, but in my world, I thought red would look better!!

I have many more pictures of other What ifs, if anyone is interested. 

Wes W.

Sauragnmon

Wes, there be kudos to you for that Phantom.  THAT is a Jolly Ranchers bird I can appreciate.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

sideshowbob9

Thanks for the closer shot. She's a beauty.

Now for the requisite questions  ;D. First off, what's the story of the Black & Chequers Lightning?

Secondly, any chance of seeing more of the Zambian Fury?(?)

QuoteI have many more pictures of other What ifs, if anyone is interested. 

Oooh me, me!!!

tigercat2

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on July 07, 2009, 04:38:49 AM
Thanks for the closer shot. She's a beauty.

Now for the requisite questions  ;D. First off, what's the story of the Black & Chequers Lightning?

Secondly, any chance of seeing more of the Zambian Fury?(?)

QuoteI have many more pictures of other What ifs, if anyone is interested. 

Oooh me, me!!!

The Lightning is in USAF markings; I thought that the black and chequers scheme would look good.  Here is another shot of the Fury; it is the Emhar FJ-4B

Wes W.

tigercat2

Another of the Zambian Fury, with other What Ifs

Wes W.

tigercat2

Here is a bit different angle on the Lightning with USAF Markings.  Backstory is that it was such a fantastic point interceptor that the USAF purchased several squadrons in the 60s, to help offset the UK purchasing the F-111K.   Then the USAF purchased a number of TSR-2s, of course.  I did not have a chance to purchase the Airfix TSR-2, unfortuantly, and now I understand that they are no longer available in 1/72.

Wes W.

tigercat2

The Rat

Those Wyverns are giving me the horn!  :wub:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

tigercat2

Glad you liked them; here are a few more shots.  Backstory is that the Wyvern got the engine problems sorted out in the early 50s, it was such a success that it was viewed as a logical turboprop successor to the Douglas AD.  Thousands were built (under license in the US), and then when Vietnam came along in the 60s, the Wyvern took the A-1's role.

Wes W.

tigercat2

In this world, the Air Force found itself woefully short on rugged close air support fighters and attack planes for Korea.  The F-51 just did not cut it, so the USAF bought a great many Vought Corsairs, right off the production line.  It made a superb attack aircraft, with its rugged air-cooled R-2800 radial, and 15 years later saw equally sterling service in SouthEast Asia.

Wes W.

The Rat

Quote from: tigercat2 on July 08, 2009, 06:03:06 PM
Backstory is that the Wyvern got the engine problems sorted out in the early 50s, ...

And how many aircraft could we say the same thing about? I'm betting hundreds!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

tigercat2

Excellent point!!  Also, when we look at aircraft that "might have been", ones that lost a competition or fly-off, we tend to forget, IMHO, that if aircraft X had been selected instead of aircraft Y, it would have been developed into just as good an aircraft as the winner.  For example, if the F-107 had been selected instead of the F-105, later versions would have been built that would have given just as good service as the F-105. 

Wes W.

sideshowbob9

Quote from: The Rat on July 08, 2009, 05:54:04 PM
Those Wyverns are giving me the horn!  :wub:

Me too  ;D

Thanks for the pics of the Zambian Fury. She's a cutie!

Quote.....instead of the F-105

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

tigercat2

Apparently you are a fan of the '105, as I am.  However, if the '107 had been selected,  our only knowledge of the F-105 would be remembered as a unsuccessful prototype, and we would not know how good it could have become.  Same thing with the XF8U-3 vs. F4U; the North American or Republic F-15 proposal vs. the Mac Air F-15, the A-9 instead of the A-10, etc.   I submit that in an alternate world, these aircraft would have been able to fulfill the mission, for we would never have known of the aircraft that really did make it in our reality.

Wes W.

Weaver

Quote from: tigercat2 on July 09, 2009, 03:54:18 AM
Apparently you are a fan of the '105, as I am.  However, if the '107 had been selected,  our only knowledge of the F-105 would be remembered as a unsuccessful prototype, and we would not know how good it could have become.  Same thing with the XF8U-3 vs. F4U; the North American or Republic F-15 proposal vs. the Mac Air F-15, the A-9 instead of the A-10, etc.   I submit that in an alternate world, these aircraft would have been able to fulfill the mission, for we would never have known of the aircraft that really did make it in our reality.

Wes W.

I've made this point a few times in various places: people in an alternative reality might make what to us seems the wrong choice, but they wouldn't be aware of it because they wouldn't have the "right" choice to compare it to. The minority of folk over there who wondered what their world might look like if they'd gone for GD's YF-16 prototype rather than the thousands of F-17 Cobras they actually built would be dismissed as dreamers because the F-17, with it's twin engines and Sparrows was "obviously" better.....

Like the Wyverns.... :wub: :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones