Bede BD-5/5J Snowbirds (CT-175/175A)

Started by kitnut617, July 07, 2009, 05:15:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

I think this will get me back into building as I've just not had the get-up-and-go lately.

I'll hook out the kit later but here's a photo of the decals I'll be using.  The kit (or kits I should say as there are four in the box) is 1/72 and here's also a photo of the Bedes compared to a 1/72 Spitfire wing  (Bedes are just dry fitted for this photo)  I had asked Bill Burns (CanMilAir) if he could knock up these decals for me after I explained what I had in mind and he very kindly did.

The backstory is the Government of the time slashed military spending in a big way, the Snowbirds with their old Tutors that needed replacing, were among the first to go but a group of well off gents (including some former Snowbird pilots) donated a couple of Bedes which they had, then managed to get hold of a couple more.  These though had mixed power plants, two had a prop and the other two were jet powered so a rather entertaining display was worked out to combine the two types and permission was granted by the Government to use the Snowbird name for the team.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

philp

Yep, crazy idea and I am looking forward to it.

I still think I could do one of these in Swedish splinter if I could find a kit.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

kitnut617

Here's the kit, an Arii rebox.  When I got it I thought I had stumbled on a 'special' because it had four little planes in the box.  Turned out that's how Arii issued it ----

Captain Canada

4 little kits and two and a quarter...man, you're laughing !

:thumbsup:

Great idea, Robert. Bill over at CanMilAir rules, eh ?

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

Put a down payment on a BD-5 back around '73, then he had the engine certification troubles that caused the company to go boobs-up.  >:(

Can't wait for this one, please pull a few 'all nighters' at the bench. Pleeeeeease?
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kitnut617

What can I say guys but   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

thanks for the support.

Robert

Mossie

Never knew this kit existed, then there's two builds in the same GB!  Looks like a nice little kit Robert, it'll look good in Snowbirds colours.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Such a good idea I'd be wary of the Canadian Defence Ministry seeing this thread...... ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Eddie M.

I like this aircraft a lot!! Looking forward to see yours finished. :D

I saw the Silver Bullet in the late 70s and got this promo photo and fact sheet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/scurrfy/misc%203/SilverBullet.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/scurrfy/misc%203/SilverBulletspecs.jpg
Look behind you!

kitnut617

So off we go----

After looking at the parts I decided to start with the jet version first and see what problems there might be.  Surprisingly, the parts fit quite well but there's not very many of them (good job to seeing as I'm intending to build four of them), and the only problem I've had so far is seeing the parts  :blink:  How the guys that do the tiny little 1/144 kits get on I don't know.

Anway after placing the seat and cockpit floor in-between the fuselage halves I glue them together, I then glued the seat/floor from behind where you can get to it from the hole in the bottom where the wing fits in.  After that I glued the tailplane on then did the second jet the same way.

kitnut617

I then turned to the prop powered version, there's a little bit more to do to these ones because there's a prop shaft to put in.  Only problem here was the shafts are a bit short so I carefully cut a slice of the very end of the fuselage parts as it seemed to be the easiest way to go.  I've decided to deviate from the instructions by not glueing the prop on just yet so I had to glue a bit of sprue inside the fuselage to prevent the shaft from disappearing inside once the fuselage and wings are all glued together.  After doing that the parts went together the same as the first two.

kitnut617

hmm! apologies for the terrible photos ---

here's the four fuselages done, I'm going to let them dry and then clean them up a bit before I press onto the next stage.

kitnut617

Trial fitting the wings to the fuselages reveals a bit of 'see-through' behind the seat so I've splashed some matt black in behind there and also on top of the wing center section.

Ed S

Looking good.  I like this mass prodution for a 1 week build. 

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

kitnut617

Wings are on and I cleaned one up to see if it would need any filler, I gave it a test coat of paint and it seems to not need any filler. Lets hope the other three clean up as good.