RAAF BAE Hawk 227

Started by Aussie747, July 08, 2009, 12:59:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aussie747

I am building this in the ARC Matchbox Madness GB, I willl be finishing it in current RAAF Hawk 127 markings, I wonder how many guys at our club will pick up on the mods :D

As you can see the decals and instruction sheet have seen better days. Never mind I am not using the kit decals anyway.

I started by removing the step that the excuse for an ejection seat (on the left) sits on. I am also replacing the seat with one from the Italeri Hawk 100 kit (as well as using other parts as you will soon see).

I have borrowed the front cockpit from the Italeri Hawk as well. I backed the instrument panel with some thin sheet and have also widened the side consoles so the cockpit will be a more snug fit.

I am also borrowing the tail from the Italeri kit, I was too lazy to scratch up the RWR antenna on the fin :D

A test fit of the fuselage with new nose attached (from guess where? :D)

Finally I have started on the wings, again using Italeri bits to spruce them up. On the left you can see the kit wing fences and on the right those from the Italeri kit attached along with wing tip missile rails.

That is all for now, a very quick build so far.

:cheers:
Ray
Canberra
*-*-*-*-*-*-

In work:
1/72 C-65J
1/72 P-7B
1/144 C-17T

upnorth

There's a kit with some happy memories attached to it! I always wished that the Hawk 200 had met with more success so that someone might do a mainstream kit of the production version.

I'll be watching your build with intrest, looks good so far.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Captain Canada

Great idea, and execution ! Who hasn't thought about modding up the old Matchbox kit with Italeri bits ? Glad to see somebody doing it ! My only suggestion would be to make it CDN rather than RAAF.....

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

Out of interest, in the latest Combat Aircraft magazine there's an article on the Royal Omani Air Force which has a nice air-to-air photo of a Mk.203, it has wing tip missile rails, RWR similar to how they are on a Harrier and a refueling probe on the right side which is non-retractable.  It looks like it has the centerline gunpod too.  Apparently the ROAF has 12 of them and they're used in the air defence role as well as the fast jet training role
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

ysi_maniac

Love the subject and your work bttb :thumbsup:
Will die without understanding this world.

Shasper

Now stick the leftover H200 bits on the H100 . . .

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Martin H

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Aussie747

Quote from: Shasper on July 08, 2009, 11:14:16 AM
Now stick the leftover H200 bits on the H100 . . .

Shas 8)

I'm afraid I have butched the Italeri kit too much to worry about that Shas.

Have progressed with the wings on and a lot of putty to be removed. Pictures shortly I hope.
Ray
Canberra
*-*-*-*-*-*-

In work:
1/72 C-65J
1/72 P-7B
1/144 C-17T

AeroplaneDriver

Very nice!  I've considered the same Matchbox/Italeri combo, with the idea of an RAF CAS machine with GBU12s and Brimstone in The 'Stan.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Aussie747

I have got some more assembly done. The putty has been tidied up and it is getting closer to paint time. Cockpit is done and I am now working a weapons load. I have added a few bits from the Italeri kit to dress it up a little.

Here are the kit weapons pylons. I used the Italeri ones for the inboards which will have tanks mounted on them. I will use these for some air to ground ordnance. Top one has been modified to look more like the Italeri pylon, bottom one is in original condition. I will probably hang some Mk82s on the outboard pylons. I have a picture of a RAAF Hawk 127 with tanks and 82s and thought it looked cool.

Top shot

Bottom shot

That's all for now
Ray
Canberra
*-*-*-*-*-*-

In work:
1/72 C-65J
1/72 P-7B
1/144 C-17T

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

AeroplaneDriver

That's looking pretty slick!

:thumbsup:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

GTX

Looking good - one could imagine the RAAF introducing these as either part of a hi-lo fighter mix with this forming the lo element and the Hornet forming the hi end.  Alternatively, maybe some are acquired for use with FACDU/4 SQN.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!