1:35 Aussie Mi-24 Hind

Started by GrubbyFingers, July 09, 2009, 06:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maverick

Some superlative work there Grubby, the foil is inspired to say the least.

Regards,

Mav

NARSES2

I'm not a fan of helicopters BUT this has my attention. As Mav says that foil trick is brilliant  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nev

Absolutely superb!  :wub: Great concept, and superb detailing so far.  That trick with the floor is exceptional :thumbsup:
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

GTX

Graeme,

Nice to see you back here and with some progress - but why the new thread when you already have this one?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

GrubbyFingers

Hi Greg,

I was simply too lazy to go look for the old one.

Grubby.

Sauragnmon

Wow, that area is going to be LOADED.  Very cool looking with all the new stuff, and the floor idea was good, though it leaves a mind to question it when you see how little is left with ammo, seats and such in place... but still, the added detailing is very nice.  Love the avionics bay addition as well, very inspired work there.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Silverfox

I love this so far, and can't wait to see more. Always loved the Hind, and love seeing what you're doing with it as well!

GrubbyFingers

... and here we go.

Painting the Cockpit

I have heard good things about the Citadel acrylic paints you get at the wargaming shops, so I thought I'd give them a try. They'd want to be good at $6 a throw! I've used Tamiya acrylics before and I must admit I've had some trouble with them adhering. I'm prepared to admit that the problem may be my surface preparation, so I will bear that in mind.

I gave all the cockpit subassemblies and parts a spray with Windex (another new thing I'm trialling) and left them to sit for a few hours. I then rinsed off the Windex under cold water and left them to dry.

Modelling Tip: I use a cheap strainer from Kmart to hold the small parts while I spray them with Windex and then rinse them off. This makes it pretty unlikely I'll lose one, and I don't need to handle them whaile I wash them.

Modelling Tip: Use Windex to wash parts. I've been told it is a spray on, leave, rinse off affair.

With the parts now washed and dried, I set about airbrushing them. I wanted the cockpit to be NVG capable, so I sprayed the entire interior with Citadel Death Black or something. Note that I deliberately didn't use an undercoat to test adhesion. I also sprayed the cabin in a medium grey, along with two of the instrument panels.

Having done this, I hand-brushed some details and gave the black surfaces a dry-brush with the same medium grey. I scuffed up the floor and corners with a silver pencil, and highlighted edges and buttons by dancing a white pencil all over the raised detail, much like dry-brushing.
My impression of the Citadel paints so far is quite good. They are all matt, and do give a really nice finish. They are more brushable than Tamiya acrylics, but no where near as friendly as enamels. They appear to airbrush quite well, though I did have some trouble with clogging and uneven spray. I'd be inclined to put that down to me being unused to spraying much at all, let alone acrylics!

Adhesion was a mixed bag. Some spots I couldn't budge the paint with a thumbnail, other spots it disappeared with a minimum of handling. I would be inclined to put this down to my surface prep as the bits that did stick, stuck well.

Cushions and harnesses are still to be added, along with some other details. This cockpit is OOB.

Jeffry Fontaine

Having seen first hand what the inside of the passenger compartment of the Hind looks like you definitely do not have much room to move around inside that thing.  The details that you are adding to this project are amazing.  The avionics rack details are especially appreciated.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Taiidantomcat

Excellent start. This is going to be sweet!  :wacko: Welcome aboard!  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Army of One

Awesome work,just awesome......I love the Hind n the big 1/35 is about the only one I don't have in my stash.....can't wait for more pics....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Weaver

This is great stuff - keep it up!  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Mossie

Glad to see you've picked this up again, looking forward to further pics! :wub:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

ChernayaAkula

Good to see you're still at it! :thumbsup: This project sure looks promising!
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?