U.S Navy Gannet

Started by bacofoil, July 10, 2009, 06:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Talos

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on July 11, 2009, 10:48:24 AM
^ Beechcraft SB-1S Gannet post-1951 pre-1962.

You're right on the first "S", I was thinking of AEW (particularly the WF-1 Tracer) at the time and trying to write a post before heading out for a movie date. Where did that second "S" come from. Shouldn't it be just "SB-1"?

sideshowbob9

Quote from: comrade harps on July 11, 2009, 05:58:20 PM
QuoteBeechcraft perhaps?
My first thought when I saw the photos was of a USN Beechcraft T-34C on steroids - so it must look right then.

You're right, there is a resemblence now you mention it!

QuoteYou're right on the first "S", I was thinking of AEW (particularly the WF-1 Tracer) at the time and trying to write a post before heading out for a movie date. Where did that second "S" come from. Shouldn't it be just "SB-1"?

Yep, you are right, just SB-1. The second S is redundant as the aircraft is designed for anti-sub work. The second S would be applied if it were modified for ASW work eg. TBM-3S. Doh!

Mossie

Gorgeous!  I'll echo Nev, looks 'right'.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Superb. Clean build.... Like it a lot  :thumbsup:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

bacofoil

This is all well interesting stuff.Just to stir up more ideas.which engine would the USN have used in their Gannets ?Oh and yes the aircrew are the molded on ones.Wasn't sure about using them at first but they seem to look OK.Anyone go to Yeovilton on Saturday ? Shame the weather played up but well done to the organisers for doing their best.FLY NAVY !!

sideshowbob9

^ General Electric T31 (2000+hp)? It's a little less powerful than a Double Mamba, which sits at 2900hp (thereabouts), but it's more powerful than the Allison T38 or Lycoming T53. The Allison T40 is overkill at 5000+hp!

It may just be simpler for someone like Lycoming to licence-build the Double Mamba  ;D

Left Yeovilton too late (must make it next year!). From the photos I've seen, the Sea Vixen stole the show! I'll be at RIAT this weekend though  :thumbsup:

kitbasher

Love it!   :thumbsup:  I think the Gannet is a pretty ugly thing but it is a good canvas for all sorts of colour schemes.  Retro WW2 FAA camouflage - a timewarp Avenger perhaps? ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

sandiego89

Very nice choice, love the Gannet.  Could even do a AEW and COD version as well, they would all look great in those colors. French and Argentine would also be interesting.   Love a dollar kit and spares approach- sometimes simple immagination is better than an expensive kit, resin and photoetched detais, and ungodly hours on a project.  Nice job. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

AeroplaneDriver

Very nice treatment of a 'natural' whif!   :thumbsup:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Aussie747

Very nice build and great idea :thumbsup:
Ray
Canberra
*-*-*-*-*-*-

In work:
1/72 C-65J
1/72 P-7B
1/144 C-17T

GTX

QuoteWhat if instead of the Grumman Tracker,the U.S Navy bought the  Fairey Gannet built under licence from Mcdonnel ? Could it have looked somthing like this ?

Of course, now you've given me the idea of a early turbo Tracker fitted with Double Mambas!!! :banghead:

EDIT:  Crude rendition of such:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!