U.S Navy Gannet

Started by bacofoil, July 10, 2009, 06:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackOps

Very nice. Looks terrific in this scheme  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Jkob

Nice work you have done there, it really looks like it was a real scheme  :thumbsup:

bacofoil

Thanks for the comments guys.I'm hoping to spend the day with our own Navy tomorrow at Yeovilton.Just gotta hope the weather isn't too bad!!

Weaver

That looks great, nice one!  :thumbsup:

I got a Novo Gannet for a different project but was brought up a bit short by the crudeness of it, so it's nice to see that it can look so good. Makes me wonder if the RW colour schemes do it no favours in terms of making it look portly. Are those the original "head-on-a-shelf" crew? If so, they look just fine, and I'll cheerfully give up any idea of replacing them on mine.

Regarding licencees, presumably they'd be building the Gannet as designed by Fairey rather than reinventing it, so it wouldn't have to follow their "house style" any more than the B-57 followed Martin's. How about having it made by an outside contender who might import the design because they didn't have the relevent experience themselves - Beechcraft perhaps?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

sideshowbob9

Quote from: upnorth on July 10, 2009, 06:19:06 AM
The funny thing is, when you mention McDonnell as the proposed manufacturer, it doesn't really look like something that would come from their stables....

How about Fairchild? Fairchild Canada built Fairey Battles during WWII so there was a prior relationship. Is there any reason the license couldn't extend from the Canadian company to it's U.S. parent?

I was planning on modelling a USN-operated Gannet in the electronic attack role, with the designation AQ-1Q, the 1st Q denoting Fairchild and the 2nd an ECM bird, as well as later doing ASW and AEW ones.

Anyhoo, as others have already said, your model looks great. Love the colour scheme  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Sauragnmon

With the trailing edge markings at the wing root, it almost begs to have a Jet conversion done, with wing-root engines like the Banjo...

Looks good though!
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Damian2

Hmmm...Beechcraft Gannet...hmmm what would the pre-rationalisation (sp?) designation be??
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Talos

Quote from: Damian2 on July 11, 2009, 10:40:44 AM
Hmmm...Beechcraft Gannet...hmmm what would the pre-rationalisation (sp?) designation be??

Should be "WB-1".

sideshowbob9

^ Beechcraft SB-1S Gannet post-1951 pre-1962.

John Howling Mouse

Wow, never saw a Gannet look so business-like before.  That is one sharp bird you have there!   :bow:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Damian2

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on July 11, 2009, 10:48:24 AM
^ Beechcraft SB-1S Gannet post-1951 pre-1962.

Hmmm..SB-1S sounds gooood :)
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Sisko

Nice clean build and I have to say looks very right in those colours.

Thanks very much for sharing!
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

comrade harps

QuoteBeechcraft perhaps?

My first thought when I saw the photos was of a USN Beechcraft T-34C on steroids - so it must look right then.

Excellent.
Whatever.