Gandalf the Grey

Started by nev, July 10, 2009, 10:07:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nev

I picked this up at the Nationals last year - as I pointed out to Mike from Britmodeller, its clearly NOT Gandalf the Grey, purely for copyright reasons ;)  His nose is thinner than Ian McKellen's and the scabbard is too short for the sword to be Glamdring (so its Gandalf in his 2000 years before The Hobbit then ;) ) but a lot of the other details match the movies, such as his staff.

Boxtop

Only 4 parts to this

Sadly there was not just a seam, but a STEP right down one side, which with all the folds in the robe was a right royal pain to sort out :doh:

There were also a few bubbles and pin-holes which I've filled, and he got a coat of primer today.  I think I might try to do his robes using my airbrush - probly the best way to do all the highlights and shadow.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

cthulhu77

Hey, that is a nice figure. Are you going to scratch up Glamdring, then?

B777LR

Looks like a very nice figure. Looking forwards to seeing how you do with it :thumbsup:

Anybody up for a Kiwi GB? Lets try to scratchbuild figures of New Zealanders :wacko:

nev

Quote from: cthulhu77 on July 10, 2009, 10:26:55 AM

Nah, like I said, he walked Middle Earth for 2000 years before he got Glamdring

QuoteAnybody up for a Kiwi GB? Lets try to scratchbuild figures of New Zealanders

Who's the Kiwi?  Gandalf is Istari, and McKellen is British ;)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

kitflubber

I was surprised by Tolkien's description of Gandalf's eyebrows actually sticking beyond his hat brim! That some serious eyebrows!

B777LR

Quote from: nev on July 10, 2009, 01:29:42 PM
Quote from: cthulhu77 on July 10, 2009, 10:26:55 AM

Nah, like I said, he walked Middle Earth for 2000 years before he got Glamdring

QuoteAnybody up for a Kiwi GB? Lets try to scratchbuild figures of New Zealanders

Who's the Kiwi?  Gandalf is Istari, and McKellen is British ;)

Lords of the Rings is set in something called middle earth, which is a place in Kiwiland, and Gandalf clearly stated he had lived there for ages, thus he must be a kiwi along the likes of Zac ;D

John Howling Mouse

I'd ditch the girlie hat, replace it with a crown, and give him a battle axe in place of the wizard staff.  A sword at the ready andd drop some crushed human skulls at his feet------call him Conandalf.  Hey, anyone know where I can get this figure kit for cheap??? 
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Captain Canada

Hey, what's in that pipe ?

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

nev

Longbottom Leaf, finest in The Shire.

Tophe

twin-leg and twin-arm, that looks like twin-boom, old way... ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

lancer

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on July 11, 2009, 12:13:16 PM
I'd ditch the girlie hat, replace it with a crown, and give him a battle axe in place of the wizard staff.  A sword at the ready andd drop some crushed human skulls at his feet------call him Conandalf.  Hey, anyone know where I can get this figure kit for cheap??? 

Don't forget to add the 'T' tail....
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

nev

OK, been doing a bit more on this. The face & hair are pretty much done apart from the lips and some touch-ups. Put the first coat on his clothes, but spotted in these pics a couple of areas that need a but more cleaning up

For the robes, I am using White Ensign enamels, partly because they are brilliant paints for both airbrushing and brush painting, but also because I have a selection of US Navy WW2 greys and blues which are ideal for Gandalf

I'm thinking of airbrushing the highlights for his robe, whaddya think?

As for a title, feeling particularly evil, I was thinking of Of Herbs and Stewed Badger ;)

All comments, criticism and advice welcome.

cthulhu77

Dig the title...it is what JRRT would have smiled at, too !

nev

Not sure what Radagast the Brown would have made of it though! :D

Steel Penguin

probably pasties, or possibly sausages.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!