Sad news - passing of Gary Allum, aka HOG

Started by Supertom, July 10, 2009, 11:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Supertom

Sad news, everyone - we have received news that Gary Allum, aka HOG, has passed.

We, the family of "Hog" -- Gary Allum -- have a sorrowful
announcement to share with the members of the "what if "forum.
Sadly, on June 18th Gary passed on to the great model shop in the sky,
where the correct shade of very off white is always in stock, and the
plasticard is consistently cut to the right size.
The family members would like to thank you all for a place that
entertained, amused and informed Gary.

In memory of Gary Allum
1954 - 2009
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

Supertom

Hi everyone,

Brian received an email from Gary's son earlier today regarding sad news of our friend Hog's passing.  Per his request we have created this post, which we hope to be adequate where we can leave our condolences.  Brian is working on an account for his family so they can post responses.

For those of you who knew him well, I am sure his family would appreciate a word or two.

Supertom

I guess I'll start.

I never knew Gary as well as I had wanted to, but I had always enjoyed his work.  His beautiful models, and his eye for detail, was punctuated by his sense of humor, generosity, and down to earth demeanor. 

Hog, I wish I got to know you better.  We will miss your presence, your input, and your humor.  Thank you for being one of us.

Brian da Basher

I'm so very deeply sad to hear this news. Not only was HOG a supremely talented modeler, but a geniunely nice guy and generous soul too. A while back, he sent me all of his 1/72 spares and I've used them on almost every project since.

The Allum family has my greatest sympathy.

"All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies, one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language." - John Donne

Brian da Basher

Martin H

I never had the pleasure of getting to know Hog that well. But i always enjoyed his posts and his work. He will be missed.

rest well
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Aircav

May your modelling knife stay sharp for all the models you'll make up stairs.
RIP Gary
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Spey_Phantom

this is indeed verry shocking news.
like all of us i am devistated by this news.
his modelling work was an insperation to us all, he will treuly be missed.

my deepest condolences to the family, i wish them well in these times of sorrow.

goodbye, my friend :(
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

upnorth

My deepest condolences go out to his family.

I very much enjoyed his work on this site.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Ed S

Sad news.  He will be missed.  His creations from things like headphones and inhalers were sheer genius. 

Good bye, friend.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Weaver

This is very sad news and my sincerest condolences to all his family and friends.

I havn't been here long enough to get to know HOG really well, but his talent and creativity were plain for all to see and inspirational to many. He will be sorely missed.

Rest easy Gary.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Daryl J.

Sincerest condolences from our family during this sad time.   May you find many happy memories during these days, months, and years to come.

Dr. Daryl and family.

JayBee

I knew of HOG from his posts.
I never knew him personally.
My day is diminished by his passing.
My life is enriched by his memory.

JimB,
10th July 2009
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

pyro-manic

As with others, I did not know HOG, but his sheer creativity never failed to impress and inspire me. My sincere condolences to his family at this tragic time.

Alun
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

nev

Wow, that's just terrible news :(

Deepest condolences to his family
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

apophenia

HOG: too young to go and your creativity will be sorely missed.