Sad news - passing of Gary Allum, aka HOG

Started by Supertom, July 10, 2009, 11:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChernayaAkula

So very sad to hear! :(

My deepest sympathies to the family!
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

The Rat

This is like losing a family member. We're a tight little band of rebels revelling in our wierdness, and HOG exemplified that attitude.

Let's keep his spirit alive.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

GTX

Sorry to hear the news - a great loss to all.

May I suggest as a tribute, we consider a GB of some sort, perhaps with dioramas as this was an area I'm sure we all dreamed of being able to match Gary's skill in.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Cobra

this Super Sad, Hope everything Works out for his Family!!!!!!! Didn't know him that well but...............Why do The Great Ones Die too Quickly??????? Sympathies to the family!!!!!!!!!

Captain Canada

I think Rat said it all for me.....RIP, HOG, and thank you for joining us here....

:thumbsup: :wub: :cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gary

From one Gary to another, your passing in all too brief a lifetime saddens all of us. I am struck by the inspiration you provided us all and how you so easily fit into such an eclectic group of misfits so willingly. As a modeling band of brothers so to speak, I and we have lost more than a friend. We have in fact lost a little bit of who we are as people. But perhaps in this we can take solace, for in us and our ways, we have learned from you  and you will live on in us. So till the last of us breaths our last breath, your spirit, Gary, lives.

For my part sir, I will pour a tall glass of rum tonight, and pull out an unopened kit from the stash and I'll think of you as I mash it into something that will make you look down and smile. My own little group build for you Hog.

Perhaps we can get someone to gather up a collection of Gary's work on this thread in tribute. And if possible, could we find out were to make a donation in Gary's name?

Getting back into modeling

Eddie M.

I am very shocked and saddened by this news. I had the pleasure of finding Gary's work at another site and asking him to bring his work over here and he fit in like he was born to be here. Not only is his work beyond my skill level, but he was an all around cool dude. I will find a way to memorialize him in my 1 week build. My thought and prayers to his family.
  Eddie
Look behind you!

Rafael

My sincerest condolences to HOG's family and friends. It's also a great loss for the What if world where he will also be sorely missed.

Be well, Gary.

Rafa and Family
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Damian2

My deepest condolences to Hogs family, his style and flair will be sorely missed by all of us.

Damian
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

anthonyp

Never met him in person, but was a fan of his around here.

Godspeed, Gary.  Rest in Peace.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Scooterman

You will truely be missed Gary.  Rest easy friend.  Thoughts and prayers from my family to yours.

Brad

Maverick

Kind regards to family & friends,

Rest In Peace Gary.

Regards,

Mav

kitnut617

Not much I can add to all the comments said so far, but Rat said it best for me, his work was most inspirational, my condolences to the Allum family.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

BlackOps

I am deeply saddened by the loss of a kindred spirit. Gary was a true master at turning "found" items into incredible models. I truly enjoyed Gary's modeling abilities and his sense of humor. I feel we will miss a lot without HOG here.

To Gary, I say HOY! HOY!  Wherever your off to next, I know you'll make the most of it, and I hope to see you on the other side. Cheers old friend.  :cheers:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

philp

I too will add my condolences to his family and friends.  I also never got a chance to meet him but did get a chance to know him through his creations and his humor.  The things he could do with an inhaler and his dioramas were just amazing.

As a small way to honor him I will be renaming one of the Whiffie categories as the HOG Memorial Award.  Just got to decide which one, The Most Original Concept (think this one is the most fitting) or the Best Diorama category.  Gary won both of these last year and I hope this small tribute will make him smile as he watches us from his modeling bench in the sky.

God Speed HOG.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies