Sad news - passing of Gary Allum, aka HOG

Started by Supertom, July 10, 2009, 11:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lancer

I was shocked, stunned and saddened to hear this tragic news. My thoughts and sympathies are with HOG's family. I deeply admired his work on here and was lucky enough to meet him, albeit briefly, at the Hendon show and got to shake his hand, quite a privilige! Hail and Farewell and my the gods of modelling reserver a place in thier pantheon for you!
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: JayBee on July 10, 2009, 01:01:44 PM
I knew of HOG from his posts.
I never knew him personally.
My day is diminished by his passing.
My life is enriched by his memory.

JimB,
10th July 2009

I'm good with words,but mine pale in comparison to what Jim has written so I'll unashamedly attach my thoughts to his.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

nev

Is there any chance that some of the SIG members from round his neck of the woods might be able to collect some of his models to display at Telford as a memorial?

I know space is limited, but I would happily not bring anything to display if it helped to create the space to show off his talented works.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Martin H

Hog wasnt a sig member Nev, but I for one have no objection if it is possible to pull off
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Radish

That's shocking news. I feel really sad.
My condolences of course.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

kitbasher

Sincere condolences to Hog's family.  I lost my own father last month and so can understand what they must be feeling.   ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

philp

I have opened a quick Poll in The Whiffies section asking for your help in picking which category to rename "The HOG Memorial Award for..."

Please vote here.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

ysi_maniac

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on July 12, 2009, 08:17:18 AM
Quote from: JayBee on July 10, 2009, 01:01:44 PM
I knew of HOG from his posts.
I never knew him personally.
My day is diminished by his passing.
My life is enriched by his memory.

JimB,
10th July 2009

I'm good with words,but mine pale in comparison to what Jim has written so I'll unashamedly attach my thoughts to his.

Ian

I am not good with words, above all in English. So ... me too.
My condolences.
Carlos.
Will die without understanding this world.

Doc Yo

I'm still kind of new here, but I've seen the man's work, and know we're poorer for his passing. My condolences
to his family.

Archangel

All of you have said pretty much what I would have already. Sad news all around and my condolences to the family.

AeroplaneDriver

A very sad part of real life intruding on our madhouse. 

Condolences to Gary's family and friends.  We lost a talented modeler, they lost a lot more.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

sotoolslinger

I am just devastated. I never got to meet Gary but we PM'd and e mailed back and forth and had a mutual admiration society going on. I did some models in very, very off white  :wub: specifically for Hog and used him as characters in some of my back stories.
He was truly one of the greatest.
I hope you find peace in the clearing at the end of the path.

To Gary's family : My my wife and I mourn your loss but truly celebrate Gary's life and talent.
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

lancer

Quote from: Martin H on July 12, 2009, 11:48:05 AM
Hog wasnt a sig member Nev, but I for one have no objection if it is possible to pull off

How about giving him a  posthumous membership?? He was 'one of us' after all
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

kitnut617

I had a look at Gary's gallery, it seems a bit sparse.  Maybe one of the 'mods' could sort out a few of his other pics and drop them in there for everyone who hasn't seen his work to admire.

Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Son_of_HOG

The Allum family would like to express our appreciation to everyone who has kindly responded here, on the passing of our Gary.
The overwhelming, generous comments, heartfelt words of condolence, and fond memories have been a comfort to us during this extremely difficult time.Its true- when someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure. We are glad that Gary seems to of inspired many of you, filling you with ideas or encouraging your own creative energy.
'Friends are like the pillars on your porch. Sometimes they hold you up. Sometimes they lean on you, and sometimes its just enough to know they are standing by'. quote: Elizabeth Foley.
We wish to thank everyone for 'standing by', especially the moderators who made this tribute possible.
The Allum family.