Main Menu

the F-14 Tomcat GB

Started by Spey_Phantom, July 12, 2009, 02:03:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nev

That first one has a surprisingly Soviet look
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Taiidantomcat

They both look good  :wacko: the first one is totally out of the blue  :wub:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Weaver

Nice one ElectrikBlue!  :thumbsup:

In my mind's eye I saw the front end being a bit shorter and stubbier than that: maybe graft the entire front end of a Sea Vixen in and then fit it with the F-14 radome?

Another idea for the intakes: leave the glove profile alone, but cut off the outer intake wall at the point where it starts to slope upwards. Triangulate the outer wall behind that point, and then add F-111-style quarter cone intake bodies.

As an extra SV touch, give the fin leading edges short vertical sections near the top.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Shasper

I'm down, got at least 4+ F-14 ideas that need to be done!

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Sauragnmon

I've got like... three tomcat ideas in the back of my skull... so I guess that puts me in the list here.

F-14DJ - AAM-4's in the glove, plus tanks, plus AAM-3's on the wings, GE Motors.
F-14G - Glove mounted ALQ pods, four ARMs in the tunnel, winders.
CF-14B - Let's just say, she's not quite the way most would do a B.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Weaver

More thoughts on the De Havilland Seacat.

Why not take the SV's tailbooms and stick them to the outside of the engines in the manner of F-15 "tailbooms", and then fit a horizontal tail between them? The chances of the spacing being exactly correct to use the original tailplane is remote, but you could cook up an arrowhead-shaped one with the F-14's tailplanes, and would look similar to some advances SV proposals.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: Weaver on July 22, 2009, 04:49:59 AM
More thoughts on the De Havilland Seacat.

Why not take the SV's tailbooms and stick them to the outside of the engines in the manner of F-15 "tailbooms", and then fit a horizontal tail between them? The chances of the spacing being exactly correct to use the original tailplane is remote, but you could cook up an arrowhead-shaped one with the F-14's tailplanes, and would look similar to some advances SV proposals.

That would look so cool --Needs to be done!

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Weaver

As a weapon fit for the DH Seacat, how about;

A) The Four Red Tops from the donor Sea Vixen on the wing glove pylons,

B) Four Bristol/De Havilland Propellors "Purple Haze" long range AAMs on the fuselage pallets.

What's a Purple Haze? Donor kit's Phoenix with the following mods to "Britishize" it:

1. Control fins cut in half diagonally to make them triangular (like a Red Top's),

2a. (Easy Version) Wings turned round 180 deg so that the blunt end is forwards (like a Red Top's) and the blunt end slightly raked,

2b. (Harder version) Make new wings to a stretched-out Red Top profile,

3. Nose cone cut off just forward of the point where it begins to taper and a Sparrow's nose inserted in the middle of the hole, thus giving it a Sea Dart-style ramjet powerplant.

Here they are illustrated. From the top: normal Phoenix, easy version and harder version:

- Indiana Jones

Taiidantomcat

Wow  :o how did you think of that?!  Brilliant!! :thumbsup:

ElectrikBlue

Quote from: Weaver on July 25, 2009, 05:30:15 AM
As a weapon fit for the DH Seacat, how about;
3. Nose cone cut off just forward of the point where it begins to taper and a Sparrow's nose inserted in the middle of the hole, thus giving it a Sea Dart-style ramjet powerplant.
Yes, this is a great idea!  :thumbsup:

Sauragnmon

Very interesting indeed, I Like the way that looks!  I might have to think of something similar for my RAF Eagle... I really do like the way that looks, quite smart indeed.  Not sure I like the fin layout, but I might have to think of how to set up two of those on a mounting... centerlined on the Eagle might look right nice.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Weaver

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on July 25, 2009, 11:36:23 PM
Wow  :o how did you think of that?!  Brilliant!! :thumbsup:

Years of carefully cultivating a twisted mind...... :wacko:

Actually, there really was a project, CF.299 to use big-winged Sea Dart as an AAM for the Royal Navy. On the right carrier aircraft it could have been good, but it fell down because the projected carriers (P.1154RN and various "Super Sea Vixens") didn't have the radar range to use it properly or the power to compensate for the relative imprecision of the interferometer homing system (look at how big a type 909 TI radar is compared to the ones used for SM1ER!) They'd also have suffered from excessive drag due to the missile's exposed inlet when carried externally, and the P.1154RN also had a ground-clearance problem with the missile on it's outer pylons because of the large wing anhedral.

On the DH Seacat, I'd see the pallets modified to have a fixed aerodynamic fairing in front of the forward missiles, the aft ones being shielded by the forward ones. Maybe the aft missiles would always be fired first, or maybe the fairing could slide back to sheild them once the forward missile had gone.

- Indiana Jones

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Taiidantomcat

AnthonyP has started a GB nominating thread, make sure to put your 2 cents in, especially if this GB is one of your choices!  :wacko: