Greek 1/48 Revell Rafale

Started by Aircav, July 13, 2009, 06:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aircav

Hi Eveybody
started the Rafale at the weekend, mainly cutting parts off the sprues and gluing sub-assembles together.
She be done in the scheme below with two of the large drop-tanks and two 2000lb LGB's.

The decals are a Albatros set for the Mirage F1

Now here's a question,
what is the thing ringed in yellow and if I fit a AN/AAQ-14 Targeting Pod do I leave them off and do I have to fit a AN/AAQ-13 Navigation Pod as well?.

What I has done so far

"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Jeffry Fontaine

Steve,

Nice WHIF you have planned so far.  

Quote from: Aircav on July 13, 2009, 06:10:48 AMNow here's a question,
what is the thing ringed in yellow
I believe the item you have high-lighted with the yellow encirclement is part of the Thales SPECTRA electronic warfare system.  

SPECTRA Description from Greg Goebel's "Air Vectors" page on the Rafale:
QuoteSPECTRA's elements are all built into the airframe, ensuring that all stores pylons are free for carriage of stores. Receiving antennas are mounted alongside the engine intakes and in a module on the top of the tailfin, with the module also incorporating laser warning sensors. Jammer antennas are also fitted in the canard mounts, and laser warning sensors are mounted on each side of the fuselage below the cockpit. The upward-firing chaff-flare launchers are fitted on the fuselage, just forward of the engine exhausts, in the wing roots.

More links for the Rafale:
Dassault Aviation.  Rafale
avions-militaires.net. Rafale
fighter-planes.com. Rafale
airforce-technology.com. Rafale
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Aircav

Ah, right ECM fit, in that case they stay, ta very much  :thumbsup:

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Aircav on July 13, 2009, 06:10:48 AMif I fit a AN/AAQ-14 Targeting Pod do I leave them off and do I have to fit a AN/AAQ-13 Navigation Pod as well?

(Image source: Lockheed-Martin larger image of the above at this link)
Lockheed-Martin LANTIRN (PDF File)

The Low Altitude Navigation Targeting Infrared for Night (LANTIRN) system is based on the two pods but it is not necessary to carry both to perform the mission.  The AAQ-13 pod contains a FLIR and TFR (Terrain-Following RADAR) while the AAQ-14 pod contains the targeting systems.  Since the Rafale has a FLIR mounted in front of the cockpit windscreen the FLIR on the AAQ-13 would be redundant.  The TFR that is installed in the AAQ-13 pod is intended for aircraft that do not already have an effective TFR type system. 

Quote(From Wikipedia) LANTIRN consists of a navigation pod and a targeting pod mounted externally beneath the aircraft.

The AN/AAQ-13 navigation pod provides high-speed penetration and precision attack on tactical targets at night and in adverse weather. The navigation pod also contains a terrain-following radar and a fixed infrared sensor, which provides a visual cue and input to the aircraft's flight control system, enabling it to maintain a pre-selected altitude above the terrain and avoid obstacles. This sensor displays an infrared image of the terrain in front of the aircraft, to the pilot, on a Head-Up Display. The navigation pod enables the pilot to fly along the general contour of the terrain at high speed, using mountains, valleys and the cover of darkness to avoid detection. The pod was the USAF's first wide-field, forward-looking infrared navigation system for air-superiority fighters.

The AN/AAQ-14 targeting pod contains a high-resolution, forward-looking infrared sensor (which displays an infrared image of the target to the pilot), a laser designator/rangefinder for precise delivery of laser-guided munitions, a missile boresight correlator for automatic lock-on of the AGM-65 Maverick imaging infrared missiles, and software for automatic target tracking. These features simplify the functions of target detection, recognition and attack and permit pilots of single-seat fighters to attack targets with precision-guided weapons on a single pass.

F-16.net: LANTIRN
JANE'S: "Targeting: in the hands of the pods"
Federation of American Scientists: LANTIRN
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Aircav

Didn't like the FLIR turret in front of the cockpit canopy anyway.  ;D

Sir Sydney Camm

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Aircav on July 13, 2009, 09:20:36 AMDidn't like the FLIR turret in front of the cockpit canopy anyway.  ;D
It would look rather lop-sided without both pods installed so in the interest of balance and symmetry, you may as well incorporate both pods on your project.

Gary F

Aircav,

Nice project and camo scheme.  Is that the 2 seater you're doing?
 I'm working on a SAAF Rafale and the Revell kit is pretty nice.  Any chance you'd want to part with any (or all ) of the SAAF markings on that decal sheet you've got?  I've got spare plastic, decals, or $'s ...

regards,
Gary F

Aircav

Hi Gary
yes its the two seater and I've got plans for all the national markings on that sheet, sorry.
Steve

Sir Sydney Camm

ChernayaAkula

Oh, this is gonna be beautiful! :wub:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Gary F

Aircav,

Thanks, had to ask :thumbsup:

Gary F

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Likin' this already, Steve.

Ian

(Strange how we both chose to do our Rafales' in the colours of air-forces' who used to fly F1's...... Hmmmmmm  :blink:)
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Aircav

Got a bit more done, sanding the drop tanks that sort of thing and I've just sprayed the ejector seats Humbrol Satin 85, Coal Black, ready for the detailing tomorrow. The diverter valve on the Combi boiler started leaking on Saturday so I've had to get a new one and fit it but back to normal tomorrow  ;D

Sir Sydney Camm

NARSES2

What your fitting a combi-boiler to a Rafale  :banghead: Even the Arme d'Air is going green I see  :banghead:

Seriously good to see you at it again Steve
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gary F

Hi Aircav,

How's the Rafale coming along?

regards,
Gary F

Shasper

How did I miss this one???

Cant wait to see it finished Steve!

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.