Made In China

Started by Sauragnmon, July 15, 2009, 05:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

There was a great shot of 2 J-7s in USN aggressor schemes (looked similar to the F-5Es) but I couldn't get it to download.

Fulcrum

Speaking about that Tu-4 AWACS, did the PLAAF think about putting a ratodome on top of a Tu-16 making it a Tu-16 AWACS???
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

B777LR

Whats the aircraft mounted on a pole in the background?

Fulcrum

Looks like a prototype of a J-7 or J-8, might possibly be a mockup of one of original Mig-21 prototypes(the swept-wing prototype that lost the competiton with the now famous delta-wing prototype).
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

Geoff

Quote from: B787 on July 24, 2009, 12:53:58 AM
Whats the aircraft mounted on a pole in the background?

J-12 light fighter project abandoned Feb 78.

Geoff

GTX

Quote from: Fulcrum on July 24, 2009, 12:40:43 AM
Speaking about that Tu-4 AWACS, did the PLAAF think about putting a ratodome on top of a Tu-16 making it a Tu-16 AWACS???

Check here.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: Overkiller on July 24, 2009, 07:19:48 AM
<...> Now then, that gives me ideas.... Namibian J-10......

I like how you think!  :thumbsup: El Presidente makes THE DECALS.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Fulcrum

Thanks for the link, GTX :drink: :cheers:!
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

DaFROG

Where's a gauntlet when you need one?
I hereby am starting the "identify the aircraft in the background of the Tu-4 AWACS picture" challenge.
So far we have the "J12 on a stickTM" as mentioned above.
I'll go out on a limb and say the things hiding behind the Tu-$ are Il 28's (or Chinese equiv)
but what i really want to know is why there is a spitfire hiding behind the tree just aft of the Tu-4 radome.
Also what are the things near the AA guns that look like the unfortunate love child of supermarine scimitars, buccaneers and several kinds of ugly?

Geoff

Hi Dafrog - Not sure about the Spit. The Chinese wanted to build the Spit IX under license, but we didn't do the deal with them. But it is the air museum and we did give them a Harrier GR III for it. They did operate P-51's though.
The Il-28 was built in the PRC as the H-5
The aircraft behind the barrels of the AA guns is a Q-5 which was an attack aircraft developed from the Mig-19/J-6

Below is a pic of a Q-6 I made a few years ago.

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Sauragnmon

Mmmm that Chinese Berkut is pretty... I'm left to wonder what's in the payload bay with the loading on the wings like that.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

DaFROG

Hi guys. I have recently acquired a tamiya Mig15 and I'm planning on a real world out of the box build and focusing on getting a decent paint job as the last three models I've completed were made either in a rush (1 week for one and 1 day  :o :o for another) or away from home without all mod cons and the paint suffered. I also avoided weathering to save time. We'll see if i can keep a lid on my modeling Dr Jekyl long enough to finish it without Zell, or torpedoes or tracked landing gear etc.etc.  :wacko:  

Here's a couple of schemes I've discovered on the net:

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww3/f/11/30/0/1
There are pic of an aircraft wearing this scheme on the net and  it looks like it was attacked by house painters using water based emulsion (I think it's a cool look to replicate and i don't mind rather tired looking aircraft)
http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww3/f/11/1/2/29_b2 variation (see also the intrepid shot below)

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww3/f/11/1/3/36

This one is apparently a MiG 17 on display on the USS intrepid, it's a pretty cool scheme (IMHO) and i could probably get away with two spray cans and blutack masking (don't have an  airbrush). Did MiG15's ever wear this scheme?
The aircraft in the background is wearing a variation on the theme of the first scheme

Has anyone got any particularly awesome MiG 15 schemes? (obviously I'd prefer something that doesn't require airbrush or NMF, but if it's awesome i'll forgive you even if i can't paint it ;D ;D ;D)

(edited to add wingspalete URL's not IMG tags (IMG tags seemed to work cos the pics were in my cache)

Sauragnmon

Frog, I'd tackle that blue on blue without spray or masking, but then that's me.  That one behind it's a pretty slick piece too - green base, add tan then the dark brown to shadow it.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.