RAF Phantom FGR.2, Phan Rang, Vietnam-March 1970-Finished!

Started by AeroplaneDriver, July 17, 2009, 10:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Uhmmmm.....gurgle.....ooohh......

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Perfect. How could anybody not like a Phantom ?

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: Captain Canada on July 21, 2009, 06:30:06 PM
Uhmmmm.....gurgle.....ooohh......

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Perfect. How could anybody not like a Phantom ?

:wub:

Beats me.  Ask Lee!
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Tophe

Your final result, perfect, receives many congratulations.  :thumbsup:
Well, let me direct my personal ones  :thumbsup: :wub: to the temporary status that I did adore: a Phantom UAV flying-wing, and weapon-less, civilian... Crazy? Let me explain:
- with modern electronics, no need of pilots anymore (weight and price and life saving)
- with modern fly-by-wire, no need of tailplanes anymore (weight and drag and fuel saving)
- with future peace, no need of armies anymore
- with modern ecologist spirit, camo is for harmony with Mother Nature...
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

AeroplaneDriver

You know, I like the idea of a tail-less Phantom, but instead of the horizontal tail being removed, how about the vertical tail being removed, and FBW taking over vertical stability/control?  I think that would look good with the Phantom's cool tailplane....

And thanks for all the comments guys!  It's nice to be back in 'build mode'.  I think I may expand this alt-history to model the entire UK fleet in Vietnam.  Wait till you guys see the RN's SEA scheme!  ;-)

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on July 20, 2009, 07:58:53 PM
Well actually....been eyeing the Vulcan in the stash...

I recall Mr Maverick producing some profiles of the flying flat-iron in SEA colours..... The Linebacker II scheme looked really do-able !, Personally I'd be looking at a GR1 Harrier for CAS and Wessex's for moving the troops around..... oh yes and Lightnings for 'point defence' of the main RAF base at Chu Lai  :wacko:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

John Howling Mouse

Wow.  Know what would be cool?  If you could show the original modeler how that Phantom ended up in your capable hands!  Magnificent finish!   :bow:   :wub:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on July 20, 2009, 10:24:11 AM
All-round fantastic job! The camo, the markings, the story! :bow:

EDIT: What colours did you use for the camo?

It was painted entirely with Tamiya rattlecans (I've been too lazy to break out the Paasche).  Colours are USAF Tan and RAF Dark Green.  Masking was done with blu-tac.

Thanks for all the comments guys.  It sure is nice to be building again.  I'm enjoying this UK Vietnam Alt History a lot and am now eagerly awaiting Airfix's 1/72 Canberras!!  In the meantime I think a Wessex and Strikemaster might be nice weekend projects.

Shasper

Could I add some fuel to your creative afterburner? Say some Lightnings that were deployed to counter a perceived NVAF bomber threat early on (similar to the US F-102s)?

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

AeroplaneDriver

I thought about Lightnings for my Alt History Shas...and I think you are right, they probably did deploy a squadron or two....but probably left in NMF.  In fact, now that I think about it, the Lightning was probably the driving force behind the switch to SEAC roundels.  By removing any red from the markings the possiblity of the US cousins mistaking the Lightning for a MiG is reduced!

OK...great Shas...now I've gotta do a SEAC Lightning...thanks.... :banghead:   ;D

Aussie747

Ray
Canberra
*-*-*-*-*-*-

In work:
1/72 C-65J
1/72 P-7B
1/144 C-17T

Shasper

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on July 29, 2009, 09:35:09 PM
OK...great Shas...now I've gotta do a SEAC Lightning...thanks....

Glad I could be of service!

(You wont hold this against me if I end up being one of your students rgt? :D)

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.