Time for a rant about paint...

Started by ChrisF, July 19, 2009, 06:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisF

As i may have mentioned elsewere i have recently returned to the hobby after many years, and am currently working on two kits, a desert storm pink tornado GR1 and the Wildcat from the Airfix Club fleet air arm kit...

Now is it just me or have humbrol lost their way while i was gone ?

I bought a tin of desert pink back years ago with the kit, and it's still fine... I also bought a new tin just in case the old one had "gone" while in storage... And its HORRIBLE.... it oily, far too thin, dries the wrong colour and well wont cover.... its like painting with the oil at the top of a unmixed tin. Soooo i went back to the old tin.... and again its still just perfect.

Hmm thinks i, I've just bought more humbrol enamel for the Wildcat too...Maybe that one tin was from a bad batch... s**t happens an all that yeah?... ok lets try them... Nope they're awful too :( And i've got a What-if TSR2 waiting in the wings at the planning stage here !

Is it just me or is anyone else having issues with humbrol enamel ?!?!?!?!?

tanktastic43

Yes.
I think the colours are more "accurate" but unfortunately they become solid much quicker.
I think it's something to do with the new recipe being used.

AeroplaneDriver

I made the switch from enamel to acrylic about three years ago and have never looked back.  So much more 'friendly' to work with IMHO.  The only exception to my all-acrylic rule is Tamiya lacquer rattlecans.  I love the convenience and the great finish from them, though I heard they aren't available in the UK anymore.

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

ChrisF

Since this experience i too have switched to acrylic and certainly wont be going back.... The only slight problem i had was tracking down the aformentioned desert pink as humbrol dont do a full range of acrylics yet... however t'internet saved me here and i had some Xtracrylic sent from wonderland models....

More importantly im so glad im not the only one as it was driving me quite mad.....   ;D

IanH

The formula changed after Humbrol had their fire way back.  I believe it was to make it more 'Airbrush Friendly'.  I too use Acrylics, for the safety aspects, and for me, the best is Xtracrylix (can't say Aeromaster, since they're gone & sadly missed)

IanH

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on July 19, 2009, 11:29:45 PM
I made the switch from enamel to acrylic about three years ago and have never looked back.  So much more 'friendly' to work with IMHO.  The only exception to my all-acrylic rule is Tamiya lacquer rattlecans.  I love the convenience and the great finish from them, though I heard they aren't available in the UK anymore.

They aren't, they were withdrawn due to labelling issues