A-6 Intruder and EA-6 Prowler

Started by Radish, July 31, 2002, 01:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Hi folks,

I guess I should look at some of the posted links more often.  Look what I found on the beuliland.com site:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

gooberliberation

Can't find any more camo'd intruders, but here's a profile of that green phantom and a SEA Vigilante
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

GTX

Not so much a whiff (its actually real world!), but still a different looking  Prowler:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Archangel

Take the body of an EA-6 and blank out the rear seat and paint it Gunship Grey and add a pair of F-404s. You could have the start of an alternate to the F-15E .

dy031101

I recently heard that there is a Grumman Model 128U that is the ASW version of the A-6.

Hum...... folks, what is by your estimations the smallest carrier that could operate A-6?

(Midway class?  Essex class?  CATOBAR Ark Royal?  Clemenceau class?  Or...... even Colossus class?)

This question stems from the Wikipedia claim that the modernised Midway class is too small for S-3...... would those not wanting to be stuck with refurbished S-2 be able to appreciate the Grumman 128U?

(Of course, for AEW capability one still has to look at S-2 variations or Sea King with Searchwater......)
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Jeffry Fontaine

Something you do not see very often in the news or as a model.  Wally Civitico  has shared some images of his 1/48th scale KA-6D Intruder tanker on ARC that he has loaded up with fuel tanks and a scratch built hose and drogue unit mounted in the fuselage.

(image source: Wally Civitico/ARC)
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

MAD

For your Ferret / Wild Weasel Intruder - you should start with the two-seater EA-6B Intruder arrangement - the prelude to the EA-6B Prowler!
For this will already have the EW/ECM and RWR built into it!

M.A.D

Weaver

Hard one to whiff, the A-6: the airframe's an odd shape to change and not really suitable for roles other than those it really did. :huh:

How about export customers? Given the small carriers available in the rest of the world, they'd probably be out as platforms, so we've talking about land-based strike, probably with a maritime bias:

Marineflieger/Italian with 4 x Kormorans

Japanese "anti-landing-craft" with 4 x ASM-1s

Portuguese/Spanish/Greek/Australian with 4 x Harpoons

RAF with Martels/Sea Eagles instead of the Buccaneer (hate the idea, but it's valid)

Australian 'nam version loaded with Brit 1000 pounders as a Canberra replacement
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

jcf

Weaver

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on March 01, 2010, 11:03:51 PM
Single-seater.

Yes I thought of that, and a tandem two-seater based on the Prowler, but they'd be awfully tricky to model, bearing it mind that cutting a tapered slice out of the A-6 fuselage would shorted the already stubby nose, angle the jet pipes outwards and change the wing sweep. One possibility might be to start with a Prowler, cut the slice, accept the shortened nose and them make that a single seater.... Another approach might be to substitute an entirely different centre and front fuselage, with the A-6 wings, engines and tail grafted onto it.

McGreig's got an interesting A-6 project underway, with VG wings and a pointy nose, although it preserves the side-by-side layout:

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,19029.0.html
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

jcf

Quote from: Weaver on March 02, 2010, 12:55:32 AM

Yes I thought of that, and a tandem two-seater based on the Prowler, but they'd be awfully tricky to model, bearing it mind that cutting a tapered slice out of the A-6 fuselage would shorted the already stubby nose, angle the jet pipes outwards and change the wing sweep. One possibility might be to start with a Prowler, cut the slice, accept the shortened nose and them make that a single seater.... Another approach might be to substitute an entirely different centre and front fuselage, with the A-6 wings, engines and tail grafted onto it.

What tapered slice? The Design 128G-12 proposal in the drawing had the same fuselage width and wingspan as the A-6
and was slightly longer at 56' 6" compared to 54' 9" for the A-6. The proposal also incorporated a folding horizontal tail.
Attached is a quick and nasty overlay (of course the drawings don't line up exactly even though both are from the Putnam volume  :banghead: )
From the drawings it appears to me that it would be more a matter of building up and extending rather than removing.

Jon

Weaver

Ah I see - I was assumed that any single-seater would be narrower. That overlay is very interesting: the single seat canopy is actually in front of the side-by-side one, which means you could fit a tandem cockpit if you wanted to.

What was the intended mission of the 128G-12 proposal?

- Indiana Jones

dy031101

Quote from: Weaver on March 02, 2010, 07:50:23 PM
What was the intended mission of the 128G-12 proposal?

It competed against the A-7 Corsair, so I'd assume its mission to cover the same range......
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Daryl J.

Hawker developed the Intruder with Grumman and I hear the Intruder IV was quite the machine for the British.

:cheers:,
Daryl J.