Bristol Beaufighter

Started by monkeyhanger, July 23, 2009, 02:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeyhanger

Always been a favourite of mine. I was thinking about the use of the Beaufighter after World War II and came up with the idea of deleting the rear turret and adding large calibre rockets under the wings. Weight can be saved by deleting the wing machine guns and there is always room under the fuselage for extra fuel. Photos to follow.
If this is Upper Silesia, one can only wonder what Lower Silesia is like.

Captain Canada

Great idea ! I've always wanted to do a Merlin powered Beaufighter....they just look so tough !

:drink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

famvburg

I've got one in my stash that I'm planning on re-engining with R-2800s, deleting the turret & painting it in SEA camo as a USAF COIN a/c, weaponed accordingly. I've always liked the looks of the Beau.

rickshaw

Err, Beaufighters didn't have a turret.  The navigator had a clear canopy but that didn't even mount a gun until later versions and even then, its traverse was so limited and the fin blocked so much of it, its value was very limited (and more often than not even carried).

You could I suppose cut down the rear fuselage and eliminate the Navigator's position but who'd then load the fresh drums on the 20mm cannon?  You'd also have to enlarge the fin significantly to take into account the loss of keel surface, while the tailplanes would also I'd suggest need to be enlarged to cure the associated problems with swing which were only cured when they applied some pretty deep dihedral to the tailplanes.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Zeke

Quote from: Captain Canada on July 23, 2009, 02:25:23 PM
Great idea ! I've always wanted to do a Merlin powered Beaufighter....they just look so tough !

:drink:

Oh yes!

;D
It's a big, wide world out there...so if it's all the same to you I'll just stay indoors!

Zeke

Quote from: rickshaw on July 24, 2009, 12:59:13 AM
Err, Beaufighters didn't have a turret.  The navigator had a clear canopy but that didn't even mount a gun until later versions and even then, its traverse was so limited and the fin blocked so much of it, its value was very limited (and more often than not even carried).

Wello, that's not quite true you know...the Mk.V had a four-gun Boulton Paul turret mounted on the fuselage just aft of the cockpit...although there were only ever two built, they did both see operational service...apparently they was crap!...:)
It's a big, wide world out there...so if it's all the same to you I'll just stay indoors!

Weaver

I know the point of the Beaufighter was to use the Beaufort wing jigs, but if they had decided to go to more trouble over it, I wonder what the resultant slim-fuselage Beaufighter might have looked like? Approaching the condition of a radial-engined Hornet I suspect.... :wub:

The other thing I'd like to do to a Beaufighter is give the cannons belt-feed and then move the Nav forward to a position behind the pilot, where he could be far more effective (back-up pilot, torpedo-aiming etc...): effectively  a Mark -1 Brigand.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

famvburg

Over on another forum, seceret projects maybe, I remember a short discussion on the slimmed-down proposal.

Quote from: Weaver on July 24, 2009, 04:18:47 AM
I know the point of the Beaufighter was to use the Beaufort wing jigs, but if they had decided to go to more trouble over it, I wonder what the resultant slim-fuselage Beaufighter might have looked like? Approaching the condition of a radial-engined Hornet I suspect.... :wub:

The other thing I'd like to do to a Beaufighter is give the cannons belt-feed and then move the Nav forward to a position behind the pilot, where he could be far more effective (back-up pilot, torpedo-aiming etc...): effectively  a Mark -1 Brigand.

kitnut617

Quote from: Zeke on July 24, 2009, 01:57:32 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on July 24, 2009, 12:59:13 AM

Wello, that's not quite true you know...the Mk.V had a four-gun Boulton Paul turret mounted on the fuselage just aft of the cockpit...although there were only ever two built, they did both see operational service...apparently they was crap!...:)

I think if they had used a Hercules powered version it might have been better, the Merlin powered Beaufighter's handling wasn't the best.  But then the Air Ministry was obsessed with the turreted fighter concept at the time and tried to put turrets onto anything.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

Grabbed a Beaufighter today...now I just have to dig out one of my derelict Lancs.....

:party:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

Quote from: Weaver on July 24, 2009, 04:18:47 AM

They did have belt-feed, reading the book about John Cunningham's Nightfighter exploits written by his navigator Rawnsley (I think), he describes how he had to reload the guns originally but then they were switch and he doesn't say anything more about having to reload.  There's a photo in Beaufighter in Action of the original gun on page 43, and another photo of the belt-fed guns on page 12.  As an aside the 60 round drum gun was the type put into the Lincoln/Shackleton dorsal turret (at least that's what the parts look like which Aeroclub put out)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

GTX

Suggest merger with this thread.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

jcf

Only the first 400 Beaus had the drums on the cannons, from airframe 401on the guns were equipped with the Chatellerault recoil-operated belt feed.

Ironically, Bristol had designed and tested an almost identical (and actually superior) recoil-operated feed months before the Chatellerault system drawings arrived in Britain with Free French officers. The MAP had rejected the Bristol recoil-operated design but had approved another Bristol design for a compressed-air motor servo feed that used a continuous belt. The servo feed was to go into production on aircraft 51, but with the official change to the Chatellerault system introduction of belt-feed was delayed until September 1941 with aircraft 401. Either Bristol design could have been in service a year earlier.

Aside from feed mechanism, the cannons themselves were basically the same.

Jon

Cobra

Super Sweet Plane :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Always thought Bristol made 'Top Notch' Aircraft :thumbsup: Keep up the Great Work,Anything as Cool Coming????? :cheers:

Radish

With the "new" Revell TF.X out in 1/72nd, proposed models are:

a REAL TF.X from 1949
USN/USMC Sea Blue Gloss folded wing Beau
RAF 2-gun turreted example...4 cannon plus the turret.
Something else??
A Biggles example from "Biggles Delivers The Goods"...standard SEAC colouring, but ship launched TF.X, so even though it's RAF, a modified camouflage? Dark Blue replacing the Dark Green?
:party:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen