Affordable Plastic Sheet (Plastic Card Stock)

Started by Jeffry Fontaine, July 27, 2009, 12:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeffry Fontaine

As prices soar in our troubled economy it becomes a challenge to get the most for your model building dollar when your paycheck is not keeping up with inflation I have had to look at alternatives to Evergreen and Squadron brand sheet plastic.  I have found that some of the larger hardware and chain stores stock plastic signs that are an ideal resource for plastic card stock or sheet plastic that has all of the properties of the Evergreen and Squadron brands without the hobby shop prices.  The majority of these signs I have found on the shelf appear to have been manufactured by The Hillman Group

These plastic signs are available in various sizes and thickness and all appear to be made from polystyrene or very similar plastic that will bond with normal model cements.  Prices range from $1.00 for a small 8.0" x 12.0" sign that is about 0.0015" thick to approximately $9.00 for the larger 18.0" x 24.0" sign that is about 0.0040" thick.  When you compare these prices to Evergreen or Squadron brand plastic card stock prices you are getting much more for your model building dollar.  The painted message is only on one side of the sign so you have the option of using the blank side for working your your measurements and cuts and gluing it with the painted side down and away from view or you can lightly sand away the painted surface before you start working with the plastic. 

Lowe's, Home Depot, WalMart, and other large stores often have signs with the following messages:

White Plastic

Yellow Plastic

Other sources for sheet plastic/card stock to consider are sign shops that specialized in vacu-formed signage based on raised letters. 

My own personal supply of 4.0" x 11.0" x 0.0035" card stock envelope stiffeners is still providing me with plenty of material and it has been supplemented over the years with other larger plastic sheets some of which are as large as 2.0' x 3.0' in size.  These larger sheets were found in a second hand store called "The Axeman" in Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MN several years ago, perfect material for doing a one piece deck on a larger ship model or perhaps a hardened aircraft shelter if you were so inclined.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

kitnut617

Are these signs the same plastic as what the models are made of Jeffry ?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: kitnut617 on July 27, 2009, 01:23:03 PMAre these signs the same plastic as what the models are made of Jeffry ?
Robert,

Yes it is the same type of plastic.  I have tested all four types of signs listed in my first post using Testors liquid cement and the glue bonded both pieces together without issue.  I have also just completed filling in the hole left by removing the belly radome on my 1/48th scale Heller Mirage IV with this plastic and it has bonded with the Heller polystyrene without any issues using Testors brand liquid model cement. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

kitnut617

Hmm! maybe a source for some vacuforms I'm planning then --- Thanks Jeffry.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: kitnut617 on July 27, 2009, 03:34:14 PMHmm! maybe a source for some vacuforms I'm planning then --- Thanks Jeffry.
The larger-thicker pieces will probably work well for that purpose but the thinner stuff is definitely out of the question.  You might want to visit one of those signage shops to see if you can acquire the larger sheets of plastic that they use for those raised letter signs that are created by vacu-forming.

cthulhu77

Don't forget to save every blister package for canopies !