Ship WHIF's I've found.

Started by seadude, July 27, 2009, 03:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyro-manic

Nice job on what looks like a pretty rough model. Begs the question why??? would you drop Goalkeeper in favour of Phalanx??
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

RP1

Quotewhy??? would you drop Goalkeeper in favour of Phalanx??

Established in the destination fleet, perhaps. Lots of moving bits in Goalkeeper and Phalanx. Training on one rather than both would be easier.

RP1
"Just your standard-issue big gun."
- Batou, Ghost in the Shell

RP1 dot net
My Facebook

pyro-manic

Fair enough. :) But as the model is built as Albion herself, rather than an imaginary ship, the downgrade doesn't make much sense to me.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

proditor

The Wooksta!

Sure I posted this some years back, the RMS Oceanic.  This would have been the White Star answer to Cunard's Queen Mary and in many ways is the fourth Olympic class liner.

http://titanic-model.com/models/edwards/
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

proditor

Man, there must be something in the Sake.  SWMBO bought me some, so we'll see if there's anything to my theory.

http://www.kansenchan.net/content/kansen.htm

The quad turreted, quad 14" cannons on the battlecarriers deserve gob-smacked attention.

NARSES2

Quad, quads  :blink: and P-38's with possibly a P-39 at the stern ?  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

lenny100

5 kts top speed forward and 30 kts backwards when you fire the gun
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

scooter

Quote from: lenny100 on October 24, 2012, 10:14:43 AM

Or, depending on elevation...one shot and man the lifeboats
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Pellson

Quote from: scooter on October 24, 2012, 03:04:39 PM

Given a proper hydraulic recoil-damper, there's no such issue at all. And assuming that guided missiles were never evolved, that ship type would have been represented in any power projecting navy in the 50'ies..  :wub:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Weaver

Nah, that's what the balloons are for: they add to the buoyancy.... ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

rickshaw

Quote from: Pellson on October 25, 2012, 02:52:39 AM

Given a proper hydraulic recoil-damper, there's no such issue at all. And assuming that guided missiles were never evolved, that ship type would have been represented in any power projecting navy in the 50'ies..  :wub:

They never developed one for a gun that size.  Even the railway gun relied on friction from the run-out as the mounting ran back along the rails (as did most large railway guns).  That ship would have a hard time staying in one spot and more than likely would need very long anchor cables on something akin to an aircraft carrier's arrestor gear.  Its an interesting ship though.  I like barrage balloons, a nice touch.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

proditor

Well, he does imply some sort of railed dampener. If you look at the area in front of the platform, it seems like he has tracks in place for absorbing some of the recoil.  I think that would mean the gun is at end of the firing cycle and hasn't been run forward again to fire.

Correction: Thanks to Google Translate, I got this - "In addition, I am setting of shock absorbing device and weight distributed object that extends the vehicle deck, which was described above."  So not a railed system like I thought, but the catapults he used are suppose to absorb the recoil.  Either way, it looks crazy and awesome.   ;D