Ship WHIF's I've found.

Started by seadude, July 27, 2009, 03:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthonyp

Quote from: seadude on July 29, 2009, 06:38:28 PM
It doesn't pay to post links from that community. Nobody can see them unless they are registered there. I really wish that place would stop "hiding".  >:( It needs to be more open so more people can enjoy the topics there. And changing to SM forums wouldn't hurt either. ;)
They've just been hacked one too many times, and are afraid of the internet.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

seadude

QuoteThey've just been hacked one too many times, and are afraid of the internet.

I remember those hackings. They had 3 of them from what I remember? They really should switch to SMF. Much better and stable system with better support. ;) PhpBB can be hacked too easily. I still remember all the times the Modelwarship.com forums got hit in the past. Ouch!  :blink:

P.S. - I was going to post a link to a modified Ticonderoga (or was it Spruance?) with 8" triple gun turrets, but I can't find the pics anywhere in the Modelwarship.com galleries.  :blink:
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

anthonyp

Quote from: seadude on July 30, 2009, 06:44:30 PM
P.S. - I was going to post a link to a modified Ticonderoga (or was it Spruance?) with 8" triple gun turrets, but I can't find the pics anywhere in the Modelwarship.com galleries.  :blink:

You mean similar to this one  ;D

From this thread.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

seadude

Yeah, I think that's it. Thanks.  :thumbsup:
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Weaver

Quote from: anthonyp on July 30, 2009, 06:57:09 PM
Quote from: seadude on July 30, 2009, 06:44:30 PM

You mean similar to this one  ;D

From this thread.

Nice stuff!  :thumbsup:

I never could figure out what the USN had against that air-capable Spruance: you get two extra helos for a cost of one 5" gun (their's had the flight deck going right to the stern).... All Polly Tick's fault I suppose...... :huh:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Sauragnmon

Uhh... no the Spruance DDH did not have the flight deck going over Mount 52 - few concepts I've ever seen removed mount 52 short of the real big Flight-conversion Spruances.  Spruance DDH extended the structure and the helipad section aft to the bulkhead just forward of 52, and had the flight deck corners chopped to match the angle of that bulkhead forward of Mount 52.  The flight deck was somewhat longer, if I recall, but 52 was still intact.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Weaver

Quote from: Sauragnmon on July 31, 2009, 01:19:21 AM
Uhh... no the Spruance DDH did not have the flight deck going over Mount 52 - few concepts I've ever seen removed mount 52 short of the real big Flight-conversion Spruances.  Spruance DDH extended the structure and the helipad section aft to the bulkhead just forward of 52, and had the flight deck corners chopped to match the angle of that bulkhead forward of Mount 52.  The flight deck was somewhat longer, if I recall, but 52 was still intact.

I'm sure I saw a drawing of one where the flight deck went right to the stern years ago, but the only thing I can find on the web is this shipbucket profile, which doesn't prove anything, of course:

http://www.shipbucket.com/images.php?dir=Alternate%20Universe/USA%20DD-997%20Spruance_%20Hayler%202%20AU.gif

The long flight deck makes more sense to me: what's the point of having 4 x helos if you can't operate two at once? See the JMSDF's Haruna and Shirane classes for an example.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Sauragnmon

That's an alternate proposal, not the one they were going with for the Hayler in truth.  the original Spruance DDH plan was to retain 52 while moving the Mk29 to the top of the aft structure.  I am not at all sure where the full back flight deck concept came from.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Weaver

Quote from: Sauragnmon on July 31, 2009, 09:23:10 AM
That's an alternate proposal, not the one they were going with for the Hayler in truth.  the original Spruance DDH plan was to retain 52 while moving the Mk29 to the top of the aft structure.  I am not at all sure where the full back flight deck concept came from.

It makes more sense: why do you need two 5" guns on an ASW ship anyway? Are Arleigh Burkes fatally compromised by only having one?

- Indiana Jones

Sauragnmon

In the case of your projected Spruance DDH with the full back deck, you're also adding volumetric weight as the helipad's height has not changed, look how much you're adding to the stern, a deck and a half the whole way from the helipad back to the fantail.  What're you going to do with all that weight?

Alternately, wait for the one that I've got in the wings after the Maximum Spruance I'm working on - she's got her ASROC mounted in place of 52, and the second gun's going up front.

Weaver

Quote from: Sauragnmon on July 31, 2009, 07:32:18 PM
In the case of your projected Spruance DDH with the full back deck, you're also adding volumetric weight as the helipad's height has not changed, look how much you're adding to the stern, a deck and a half the whole way from the helipad back to the fantail.  What're you going to do with all that weight?

Alternately, wait for the one that I've got in the wings after the Maximum Spruance I'm working on - she's got her ASROC mounted in place of 52, and the second gun's going up front.

Well that choice was made by the shipbucket profiler. Personally, I'd have dropped the helo pad down to main deck level, left the quarterdeck open RN-style, but left the hanger roof at the original height, thereby allowing the operation of taller helos such as SH-3D.

In any case, Spruances arn't short of topweight margin: look at how much extra metal a Tico has piled on it.

- Indiana Jones

Cliffy B

Found this one over on modelwarships today.

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/misc/hms/lion-400-pg/pg-index.html

HMS Lion Battleship/Carrier hybrid!
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

Captain Canada

Some nice stuff, guys ! Keep digging, eh !

I like that 'siper carrier', but I do think the Japanese stuff on the deck is pretty cheesy.....
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Cliffy B

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

Taiidantomcat

That is awesome!!  :o Thanks Cliffy!  :thumbsup: Love the Camo  :wub: Is that the Shinano next to it?
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.