Auto De Whiff (The Car whiffer build)

Started by puddingwrestler, July 30, 2009, 03:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puddingwrestler

Walking to school (or work, the terms are interchangable) this chilly morn, my thoughts strangely turned to the idea of a modern retro styled 2010 model Ford Edsel... Well, why not? Ford has a retro Mustang, and has made several retro concepts based on late 40s and 50s models.

So, the idea is this: Build a car as a whiff subject. It's still got to be a car (so this does not clash with the Top Gear GB proposal), but whiffed in some way. What If Chevy built the Mustang? What if the mini was made in Russia? What If the california highway patrol used Studebaker Avantis? What would a modernised Edsel look like?

And so forth.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Weaver

How about making it whiffed cars or motorbikes, for those of us of a two-wheeled persuasion?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

puddingwrestler

Sounds reasonable.

Actually, I think it'd make sense to also add trucks, buses etc. So, any civilian road going vehicle. Maybe also snow mobiles.
I'd like to place one restriction; all entries must be non-military (we see so many military subejcts here, it'd be nice to see something else)

puddingwrestler

Ya know, whenm you think about it, a lot of car modelers are whiffers without knowing it. Most car modelers customize the car in some way, answerting the question 'what if I owned one?'
I know I always do - I think I've only build one car model stock ever...

proditor

How about those truly bizarre concept cars?  Would those be okay? 

puddingwrestler

As long as the outcome is a road going wheeled civilian vehicle not used to set land speed records (because we already did that) then it is fine.

Weaver

I've always fancied building a model of a Rat Bike. You see them all over the place at bike rallies but I don't think I've ever seen a model of one, partly, I suspect, because a lot of the accessories you'd need (ammo boxes, backpacks etc...) are only available in 1/35th scale and most of the bike kits are bigger than that. Could all be scratchbuilt, of course. Also, most bike kits tend to be of "glamour" types rather than the "cooking" bikes that are the basis of most rats.

It'd be particularly fine to take one of those ludicrous OCC Harley Chops that Revell have kitted (and are now discounting), stick a Japanese engine in it and paint it matt black..... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

puddingwrestler

Pretty sure I saw a rat bike a few years back in Scale Auto magazine... that or Model Expo Melbourne.

proditor

Quote from: puddingwrestler on April 24, 2010, 01:02:58 AM
As long as the outcome is a road going wheeled civilian vehicle not used to set land speed records (because we already did that) then it is fine.
I foresee an odd 50's style atomic car in my future...

I support this.   :thumbsup:

puddingwrestler

Not... not the Ford Nucleon?
THank god they never actualy installed a reactor...

To quicly paraphrase Tony Davis's 'Lemon' - "Sample radio traffic nupdate: The entire city of New York had to be evacuated this morning due to a two car Nucleon pile-up."

Actually, come to think of it, there are probably a fair number of resin kits of old conceptcars, all of which are whiff-out-of-the-box; plus there are some plastic kits of same, such as the Lincoln Futura (the thing the Batmobile was made from), although all of them are a bit long in the tooth.

puddingwrestler

A few ideas which have just sprung to mind:

What if Ford decided to have a bash at the Chevy Nomad formula (two door sporty station wagon) using a Mustang?
What if America had the same tax system as England and as a result embraced three wheelers?
What if there were ride in movies for cowboys - they could show triuple bills of 'National Velvet' 'My friend flicka' and 'A man called horse' and you'd hang the speakers off the horses ears. :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: puddingwrestler on April 24, 2010, 04:13:44 PM
Actually, come to think of it, there are probably a fair number of resin kits of old conceptcars, all of which are whiff-out-of-the-box; plus there are some plastic kits of same, such as the Lincoln Futura (the thing the Batmobile was made from), although all of them are a bit long in the tooth.
;D

IMC Ford Cougar prototype, cracking kit.  :thumbsup:

And the AMT Dodge Deora pickup, just superb! And I have two of them as well.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

puddingwrestler

I've just ordered me a '40 Ford Coupe. Even if this GB does not happen, I am determined to get the car model presence on this forum to increase, then more people will realise what a jolly good idea this is and vote for it next time!
The plans I have are strange to say the least.

puddingwrestler

This link may proove useful for those in search of insane ideas. Actually, the whole wiki is repleate with awesome. A great what-if scenario would be what if the Norman Timbs special really did make it into production?

beowulf

Quote from: puddingwrestler on May 22, 2010, 03:25:29 PM
. Even if this GB does not happen, I am determined to get the car model presence on this forum to increase,

works for me  :thumbsup:.....im predominantly a car builder anyway
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder