And now for something completely different!

Started by chrisonord, August 02, 2009, 10:05:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

Whilst waiting for my concorde to arrive,as I have already drawn up the plans for this  :wacko: I have dug my Condor Mig 31 Foxhound out of the stash, some pylons that came with my mig-21 .93 and a load of freefall bombs and some missiles.
What I am going to do is put 2 rails running parallel along the fuselage, these will be removable bomb racks, that can be quickly removed to convert the aircraft back to an interceptor if need be.
So this foxhound will now be a strikehound/MRCAski. I will give it a camo job also, and some other mods as I go along. This aircraft will belong to my cartel airforce. No pics as yet as I have only just started rooting out all the bits to use on it.
Cheers,
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

chrisonord

Hmm, :huh:
I am starting to wish I had taken one of my revell kits from the stash to do this as the Condor kit is one nasty moulded mess of a kit.
The fuselage has loads of steps in it and they are that big I daren't sand them down too far as I will end up breaking through the plastic  :banghead:
At the moment the plane looks like a very badly plastered wall,and the steps still look bad, hopefully because of where they are I can paint the lower part in titanium, as it is the rear fuselage.
Anyhow not all doom and gloom, as the spare pylons off the Condor Mig-21.93 fit straight onto the foxhound, so, I measured the distance between the pin holes and put some new holes into the wings inboard of the originals, so I can fit these pylons. The missiles that I will hang from these also fit straight on the pylons, they being KH-31's. I have not decided on what to hang off the other pylons yet, but I am putting freefall bombs on the fuselage weapons stations.
Cheers,
Chris.   

Sauragnmon

now That should look pretty damn scary - Bombs on the fuselage recesses of a Foxhound, with 31's on the pylon.  You might go for broke and see if you can give it some defensive missiles on the outboard of the wing as well, light ones like the AA-8 or AA-11, maybe AA-12's.  I'd suggest Tanks somewhere on the wing, as well as your planned Fastpacks.  She'd go a distance that way.

So, the Boxhound's shaping up well.  Good to hear.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

chrisonord

In the kit there is a pair of TER's for some short range aams, there are 4 in the kit, so, I could put those on the outside pylons, and on the bottom of the TER I could put some rocket pods. The tanks that are with the kit are huge, so I will look for some alternative ones I think, or put  the standard ones on the new inside  pylons, if there is enough room...hmmm? decisions decisions :rolleyes:
Chris.

Sauragnmon

The tanks on the Foxhound are normally rather large in truth, that I know of.  Of course, it would be somewhat amusing to take the TER and modify it into a F-15 style Rails over Tank rig.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

chrisonord

You know I had thought of that also, I will see how the tanks would look on that set up, if they are too big, I will have to pinch some others that look something like, something slim I thinks. Perhaps one of my many sukhoi's would be obliging or a Mig-29 UB????
Chris.

Shasper

You could always turn the droptanks into CFTs . . .

Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

chrisonord

I had a look into the conformal tank arrangement, but I think that they will get in the way of where the new pylons are going, I have some tanks from a mig-29 that are smaller than the Foxhound tanks, so I think I will put these on the middle pylons,with the KH-31's on the inside pylons.
Because of ground clearance issues, the twin aam rail pylons will have to go on the outer pylon position, as this pylon is shallower than the other two. But....I need to slap another kilo of putty on it, and try to carve a shape something similar to a foxhound from it  :rolleyes:
Cheers,
Chris.

chrisonord

Right, a bit of an update with some pics to boot!!
The foxhound carries its drop tanks on the outside pylons, which I thought strange given the size of the things, so... I thought how about using the same arrangement but with some smaller Mig-29 tanks, leaving the other 4 pylons for ordnance. The self defence missile problem has also been sorted, by the addition of some small pylons under the wing tips, and some short range AAM's will be fitted to these. This arrangement should give me all the room I need for ordnance. I have yet to put all the pylons on, landing gear etc, but that should be the least of my worries with this thing.

The colour scheme is not yet complete, as I want to incorporate another colour into it, so it will probably look slightly different when finished.
Cheers,
Chris.

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Sauragnmon

Chris, the dapple camo looks Awesome!

Interesting concept with the tip rails, definately interesting to see.  I'll have to see if I can get the triple rails, I think it'd be interesting to do a Foxhound with two aphids and a tank on the outer rail like that.

chrisonord

I did a bit more paint on the strikehound this evening, I put a lighter green into top camo and clear coated it, and painted the underside in air superiority blue. I am at odds what ordnance to fit on the middle pylons, that will compliment the KH-31's and the 500 kg bombs. There is not enough room to put TER's or MER's on the pylons with bombs, so I will have to have a think on what else to stick on there.
Cheers,
Chris.

Captain Canada

That is truly gorgeous ! Can't wait to see her all done up !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Weaver

The cammo looks excellent Chris!  :thumbsup:

Could you put the tanks on the middle pylons and then have scratched-up ECM pods on the outer ones (where their aerials would have a decent field of view)?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

noxioux