A little work in progress

Started by Martin H, August 02, 2009, 02:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

How many Phantoms have you got now Martin ?

Looking good mate  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Martin H

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 18, 2021, 06:27:03 AM

More than most Airforces these days.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Gondor

Quote from: Martin H on August 18, 2021, 10:46:31 AM

That's not difficult   :rolleyes:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Quote from: Martin H on August 18, 2021, 10:46:31 AM

;D ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Martin H

three more done........

First up another old hanger queen.

Hawker Hunter T-8M of the Fleet Air Arm circa 1992.
This model was never intended to be finished. It was a test mule. Some of the old hands on here may recall that time there was a feeding frenzy for tandem two seater Hunter conversions. Which led to me borrowing a Maintrack conversion off Kit and cloning it. Jim B smash moulded a load of canopies for them and the frenzy was sated for the price of the materials used. Then Rickshaw approached me and asked if I would be willing to send a few sets of just the resin parts to him down under as he wanted to see if he could make the set fit the then new Revell kit. a few sets headed south and a couple of months later a small package arrived in the swamps of Northamptonshire with a compleated master. This duly fell into a tin of RTV and around a dozen clones were made. A number (I cant remember how many) with canopies from Jim were sent back to Rickshaw. the remaining few are still gathering dust in my loft. The model in the photos was the first one out of the mould and was only built to make sure the resin fitted the Revell FGA 9 kit as intended. And that's how it sat for a good number of years until I got my hands of the vacformer that used to belong to Cambel of Odds & Ordnance. I still had a few of the resin canopy plugs lying around so these were used as I learnt how to work the new toy. I dug out a pair of bang seats from the spares box, cut out one of the new canopies and found the remains of the rest of the Revell Donner kit and got started on getting this old girl finished. I had a nose cone off an airfix Seaharrier F/A2 left over from the Lonewolf Sidetrack harrier conversion so I filed down the nose to match up with said nose cone to make it into a Navy T-8M.
Paint work was CJ aerosols rattle can Extra Dark Sea Grey. The rest was a mix of Lifecolor and vallejo. Marking were from a fantasy print shop maritime Hunter set. The ACMI pod is from one of the more recent hasegawa weapon sets.

Now a pair of 3d prints.
first up a target.

This is apparently the A41 Turtle assult tank. It was printed by a guy who is selling a number of tank projects on EBay in the UK.
It was printed in transparent resin and looked bleedin awful when it first arrived. I think the maker rushed it a tad as the undersides looked decidedly ropey and the side skirts are warped. A coat of halfords black primer made it look a lot better. the details moulded into it suddenly appeared in view. I broke out a bottle of xyracylrics British Army Bronze green that was hanging around and some gunze metalics to add some color.
Decals are from a revel boxing of the old matchbox Sherman Firefly and the post war reg was from an old BW models set borrowed from my dad.

And now the one you have all been waiting for..........

The Gannet models Saro P187 heavy interceptor. of 11 squadron, RAF.
this arrived on my door step on the 14th of september along with three other sets from the F155 series of projects.
It was on the workbench withing an hour of arrival and the basic Assembly was all but done by the early evening. The following day I started throwing paint at it. Yes I'm sure I could do a better job of the joins, this was a classic "kid with new toy" moment. I wasn't hanging around!
All the cammo colors were CJ aerosols rattle cans, which sped things up no end. the bulk of the paint work was done by the end of the day with only a bit of patching up here and there needed. It then sat for three days while I was on shift. And today it first got a wash in Johnsons Klear. then on went the decals which came from a number of Lightning sheets. the serial number (XN627) is from a vacant block of 21 numbers so ideal for my purposes. The gloss varnish was still tacky when the photos were taken.
A word to the wise for those getting one of these. It will need nose weight. It sits quite nicely on its main gear with out ballast with the nose gear about 3-4mm off the ground. Using the drainage holes in the back of the nose cone I filled it full of lead shot. That shifted the CofG enougth to put the nose gear onto the deck. Spreading the models weight across all three gear units once the nose was attached.

This thing is huge!
Here's a shot of it with one of my Freightdog SR177 builds for comparison

Unfortunately,

The Wooksta!

It's alreet, I'spose.  Mine's definitely not 11 sqn now.

I'm sure we can sort out some space for a Gannet Scale Models mini theme at Telford?
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Martin H

Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 19, 2021, 12:22:15 PM
I'm sure we can sort out some space for a Gannet Scale Models mini theme at Telford?
I dont see that being a problem  :thumbsup:
Unfortunately,

kitbasher

Ah c'mon Martin, all this is just showing off!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Martin H

Quote from: kitbasher on September 19, 2021, 12:42:36 PM
Ah c'mon Martin, all this is just showing off!
Well thats now 32 builds finished this year. 8 more to go to equal last years 40
Unfortunately,

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Martin H on September 19, 2021, 12:26:38 PM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 19, 2021, 12:22:15 PM

I dont see that being a problem  :thumbsup:

That's as well as the Lockdown Specials theme as well of course.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Lost Cosmonauts

Love it! Thanks for sharing the build - that's the first one I've seen finished up. I'm still mired in house renovations so don't have a bench and this is a particularly cool vicarious modelling treat. Mind if I reuse your in-progress and finished pictures on my assorted business pages?
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

Martin H

Quote from: Lost Cosmonauts on September 19, 2021, 01:35:34 PM
Love it! Thanks for sharing the build - that's the first one I've seen finished up. I'm still mired in house renovations so don't have a bench and this is a particularly cool vicarious modelling treat. Mind if I reuse your in-progress and finished pictures on my assorted business pages?
help yourself mate :thumbsup:
Unfortunately,

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Cracking work Martin  :thumbsup:

I particularly like the Turtle. I assume it's 1/72 ?

Quote from: Martin H on September 19, 2021, 12:49:22 PM

Well thats now 32 builds finished this year. 8 more to go to equal last years 40

You've got a key to Dizzy's Tardis, haven't you ?  ;D

The Wooksta!

He's stacking the shipping containers.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic