A little work in progress

Started by Martin H, August 02, 2009, 02:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 20, 2021, 01:13:27 PM
He's stacking the shipping containers.

There's a few on my family's farm up North going cheap for rent if needed. Might be a bit far to travel when you just want that one small part to finish a model though  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Martin H

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 21, 2021, 07:24:15 AM

There's a few on my family's farm up North going cheap for rent if needed. Might be a bit far to travel when you just want that one small part to finish a model though  ;)

I doubt I'll be renting any more 20 footers any time soon. I'm paying through the nose for this one :o
And the price of a 40 footer is double what I'm paying now. Thinking ahead I checked the pricing when the first couple to 40's were delivered.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

kitnut617

Quote from: Martin H on September 21, 2021, 08:26:54 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on September 21, 2021, 07:24:15 AM

I doubt I'll be renting any more 20 footers any time soon. I'm paying through the nose for this one :o
And the price of a 40 footer is double what I'm paying now. Thinking ahead I checked the pricing when the first couple to 40's were delivered.

We rented a 20 footer when we were moving house as we had to get out of the old house because it was already sold, but with the deal bogging down on the new place we didn't know how long we would be looking for an alternative new home. So we bought the container outright as it only cost the same as 9 months rent. The container comes in very handy now ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

But you have to have somewhere to put it...................
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Martin H

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 21, 2021, 01:30:58 PM
There have been a few jokes in the family about me parking one or two 20 footers in the back garden. Much to mums displeasure..........................
Unfortunately,

NARSES2

A few years ago they were giving 20 footers away. My brother has a couple on the farm, bit battered but do there job
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hobbes

AIU the price of containers has gone through the roof over the last 2 years, Covid changed transport patterns which changed where containers ended up and disrupted the flow of empty containers back to China.

Lost Cosmonauts

Quote from: Hobbes on September 22, 2021, 02:29:14 AM
AIU the price of containers has gone through the roof over the last 2 years, Covid changed transport patterns which changed where containers ended up and disrupted the flow of empty containers back to China.

Same with Project National Sword, the Chinese government clamped down on imports of contaminated materials and badly run recycling centres which  blocked the import of many wastes to China for recycling. Lots of the containers came to the West with consumer goods and went back with bundled recyclable plastic but now there is nothing to go back with. 

https://resource.co/article/china-starts-national-sword-campaign-target-foreign-waste-smuggling-11689
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

zenrat

We once had use of a 40' container (known as The Bunker) which had previously been used by a gun club.  We found it had a false wall at the back.  The resulting secret compartment was however empty.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Pellson

Quote from: zenrat on September 22, 2021, 04:21:59 AM
We once had use of a 40' container (known as The Bunker) which had previously been used by a gun club.  We found it had a false wall at the back.  The resulting secret compartment was however empty.

Pretty disappointing, eh?   ;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

zenrat

Quote from: Pellson on September 22, 2021, 05:02:57 AM
Quote from: zenrat on September 22, 2021, 04:21:59 AM

Pretty disappointing, eh?   ;)

Absolutely.  You find it, you start imagining all sort of things you'll find in there and then...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 21, 2021, 01:30:58 PM

Yes you're absolutely right --- we have nearly 5 acres to park it in  ;D
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Martin H

First three of the new year done. One whiff, One cancelled Project and one real.

First the whiff. the Ossies are gonna love this one...........

A transavia Skytruck VP-FAJ serving with FIGAS (Falkland Islands Government Air Service) around 1983.
The small FIGAS Islander fleet was destroyed during the 1982 conflict and to speed up getting the service back up and running post war the net for replacements was cast far and wide as Islanders were in high demand and therefore not so easy to replace like for like.
A pair of Skytrucks were found lurking in an old hanger someware in the middle of noware by a roving UK air attache touring the outback while on leave from the UK embassy in Canberra. Knowing that the foreign office had issued a request for embassies world wide to keep an eye out for potential replacements the presence of these two odd balls was passed up the line. The price was found to be reasonable and both airframes were in good condition just needing a basic service to get them back in the air. They were flown down to the coast to be loaded as deck cargo onto RFA Sir Bedivere for shipment to Port Stanley. On arrival they were painted in the bright High visibility scheme used on the two captured helicopters pressed into FIGAS service. Officially they were tasked with survey/mapping work but spent most of their time on the Milk runs out to the various settlements dotted around the islands. VP-FAJ even found itself spending a few months on loan to the British Antarctic Survey filling in while their Twin otter was back in the UK for heavy maintenance. After a few years new Islanders were sourced and duely replaced the two "trucks" as the locals called them. One was put on display at the old Port Stanley airport but was scrapped 7-8 later as is was suffering from the local climate. The other appears to have disapeared, no one seems to know what happened to it after retirement. Rumor has it it found use as a hen house at a homestead south of goose green.........despite no record of it sale out of service being found.

This is a sharkit resin kit built oob. Paintjob is xtracylic Red Arrows Red and the reg and titles are from a South Atlantic sheet from S&M Decals.

Now the project cancelled.....

The gannet Models AW58. This has been left bare in terms of markings as it will be joining the AW projects collection at the Midland Air Museum. Joining the collections company made wooden display models and at least two of Thorvics scratchbuilds........

And here is is with the 3rd model finished as a size comparison.

Yes its a Matchbox F-101F Voodoo built 100% OOB. This came about while looking for a new build to start back in late November. I decided to build a type that Ive never built before. And the Matchbox Voodoo fell into the category. I went one step further, I had a few of these knocking around so I'm doing two more. One of each option in the original boxing of the kit. So theres a USAF RF-101B is the SEA scheme and an RCAF CF-101B on the way as well. The choice of type was aided by the fact I have good access to a 1/1 scale F model Voodoo at MAM up the road at Coventry Airport.
Unfortunately,

Lost Cosmonauts

All 3 look great (but I'm very chuffed with how nicely the AW.58 has turned out and that it'll become a museum exhibit) - well done!

Mind if I reuse that image again in the customer build galleries elsewhere?
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete"

PR19_Kit

LOVE the Skytruck, and the AW58 looks AWESOME!  :thumbsup:

The AW58 could possibly the most swept aircraft ever!  :o

You can see hints of the PR19 in there too.........  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit