A little work in progress

Started by Martin H, August 02, 2009, 02:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

Quote from: Martin H on January 29, 2022, 10:55:33 PM
Not much room for nose weight thou. This thing will tail sit at the slightest excuse.....
Ahem, making it a tail-sitter would have been very whif... ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Martin H

This year is proving to be a more sedate year for me build wise.
2022 build number 5 (the 2nd whiff of the year) coming up

The Bae Hawk T-2, of 63 sqn/1 TWU based at RAF Brawdy around the early 1990's

This is The new Freightdog Hawk T-2 conversion using the Revell Hawk T-1 as the base kit. Built as per Colin's instruction sheet.
for those also doing this conversion. Be advised! its a tail sitter regardless of how much ballast you cram in. I added a discrete wire prop just behind the gun pod to counter the issue.

Paint job is the NATO green over Litchen green scheme worn by the RAF's harrier GR-5's. Decals are for a camouflaged Hawk off an Xtradecal Hawk set. Drop tanks and gun pod from the base kit, the practice bomb carriers are home cast items I happened to have lying around. I have other plans for the Sabre missiles that came with the conversion.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

That looks really good in 'GR5 Green' OGL .  :thumbsup:

I've always wondered why the RAF didn't use that colour more often, it suited the tactical environment well.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 30, 2022, 02:28:54 PM
That looks really good in 'GR5 Green' OGL .  :thumbsup:

It does indeed  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Martin H

Ok its been near on 4 months since my last build was finished.
Its been a rather busy time with work. Having been heavily short staffed for more than a year, we worked with our management to reorganise the site compleatly. Dispite all that I did manage to sneak away for a week to the south coast for some RnR...........
Things have started to settle down a bit now. So I may get some loft time again.

Any way ive manged to get a few builds  done. Mostly paint jobs but one has had some surgery. So 1 chopper and 3 trainers coming up.

Westland WS365 Ocelot AH-1 of the Commando Brigade Air Squadron, operating off HMS (Formaly RFA) Argus in the Med around about now.
A dedicated scout/light attack chopper for Royal Marine use based of the WS365 Dolphin. the forth Ango-French helicopter project. (Hint: there maybe more Dolphins to follow)
The kit is the Dreammodels Z19 Chinese army attack chopper, with a suitable repaint and rearmament to UK specs. Ie Brimstones and RP pods.

BAE Hawk T-1N of the Fleet Air Arm circa 1988. 10 Hawk T-1's were transfered to the navy from RAF stocks , Officaly used by FRADU but normaly found being used by desk jockies to keep up their flying hours at Yeovilton. They were repainted in the Navy's version of the standard RAF trainer scheme of the time with the red replaced by roundle blue.
Italeri Kit that i aquired 2nd hand ages ago. mix of hataka, lifecolor and rattle cans for the paint job Decals robbed from an xtra decal hawk sheet for an over all gloss black FRADU Hawk from the last few years.

Hawkersiddley Dominie T-1. Operated as a Navigation trainer by the Fleet Air Arm. Based at Culdrose in the 1980's. Again ex RAF stocks handed over to the Navy and used in place of the Jetstreams they realy had.
Yee Oldee Airfix kit built OOB. with asuitable color swap for the fish heads. Decals from the kit with a few naval additions from my decal stash.

Hawkersiddley Dominie T-2 Weapon systems trainer. Orginaly used as trainers for the Firestreak missile system used on the Seavixen's. These later found other uses once the firestreak was retired from service. A few went to the RAe for use as testbeds, but most of the 12 built wound up with FRADU normaly used to play bad guys for the ships of the fleet to practice their anti air skills on. This one is lugging a pair of ALQ188 jammer pods (as used by FR aviation/Cobham Falcon 20 in real life) each was a differnt version to make thing more awkward for the intended customer. They also retained their old radar sets to help confuse the "target" even more.
Airfix Kit again. This time with the Freightdog Weapon system trainer conversion. Hence the dity great hooter of a nose. THe ALQ188 pods , one came from a Hasegawa weapon set the other was a model aliance part. Paint job was overall Dark Sea Grey from a rattle can. with halfords Audi Aluminium for the shiny bits. Decals again from the kit with the roundles reolaced by xtra decal replacements and suitable naval odds and sods from the decal stash

all 4 models were started in May. Ive tinkered around here and there with them as and when ive had a chance. the heat of the last few weeks didnt help either as it was way to warm in the loft for more than fleeting visits.

Unfortunately,

PR19_Kit

Magic stuff OGL, LOVE that Dominie T2.  :wub: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 19, 2022, 09:46:20 AM
Magic stuff OGL, LOVE that Dominie T2.  :wub: :thumbsup:

What Kit says, Martin 👍

I've got the conversion in the stash ready to build at some point (my idea for it dovetails nicely with OGL's) but I could have sworn the radome wasn't THAT pointy!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitnut617

Lovely Dominies Martin, I had thought about using the Navy colours too (blue stripe one), for my P.1154 nose conversion after looking at the M&E Astazou Jetstream conversion's decal sheet.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Rheged

That is a very believable and remarkably well executed offering.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Particularly like the Ocelot Martin  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Pity the Weapons Trainer Dominie set is not available from Colin, should be easy enough to scratch a suitable noe for a different version if I wanted. As usual, simple yet efective conversions Martin  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Dizzyfugu

I like the Ocelot a lot. I wasn't aware that the Z-19 "borrows" Dauphin elements, but it makes pretty sense. An AĆ©ronavale attack helicopter might have been even more plausible with this basis!

Martin H

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 23, 2022, 06:37:43 AMI like the Ocelot a lot. I wasn't aware that the Z-19 "borrows" Dauphin elements, but it makes pretty sense. An AĆ©ronavale attack helicopter might have been even more plausible with this basis!
You only have to look at the tail section and the engine deck to see where they came from. And seeing as China produces the Dauphin under licence.........Its fair to say thay are going to milk the design for all its worth.
Aircraft recogntion was "my thing" when I was a cadet back in the 80's. It was the sort of detail you were expected to notice, from a photos with a smudge for an aircraft on it with only 3-4 seconds to view the image.
Unfortunately,

Freightdog862

Love the Hawk and Dominie builds. Currently making an Airfix Hawk, really wish I'd done the T.2 conversion using this rather than the Revell one!

Colin