A little work in progress

Started by Martin H, August 02, 2009, 02:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin H

another rest period, another Hawk build.

BAe Hawk T-1M, used by 899NAS in the mid 1990's to replace its ageing Hunter T-8M fleet of SeaHarrier radar system trainers.
A small number of these were rebuilt from some of the original batch of RAF T-1's when it was decided to replace the Hunter T 8M's with something that wasnt as long in the tooth. This occured around the time when the SeaHarrier fleet upgraded to F/A 2 standard from FRS 1.
Fitted with some eliments from the export 100 series, with a new nose profile to carry a miniture version of the F/A 2's radar purely for training purposes. These aircarft were unarmed, how ever they could carry captive Sidwinders and latter on captive AMRAAM's. Once the SHAR's had retired the T 1M found further work with FRADU and on various Trials within the M.O.D.

A fairly quick build. Italeri Hawk 100 with its nose replaced by a resin replacement from Air Graphics for the South Korean Hawk Mk-59.
Gondor used the same nose on his Isreali hawk several moons ago. It kind of planted the seed for this one. Altough at the time I was thinking RAuxAF rather than the Fleet Air Arm.
Originaly this was going to use a standard T1 airframe but then it would look very much like a repainted Korean Aircraft as they lacked the RWR on the fin. So a hawk 100 took its place for this nose job.

Tamiya rattlecan Medium Sea Grey all over with the nose , fin tip and RWR reciver painted Gunze Dark Sea Grey. decals from the spares box for a SeaHarrier F/A-2. The serial and other Hawk related bits off a sheet from an old tool Airfix Hawk.
I have a few more Hawk ideas and as this year is the 50th aniversary of the first flight.............well, it would be rude not to.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

The Rat

Very well done! Will it be at Telford?

Quote from: zenrat on August 15, 2024, 04:21:37 AMVery nice.
 :thumbsup:
A much better design than the one they used.

Agreed!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Gondor

Ah yes, the Hawk T.68

Well as it's the 50th of the Hawk I better bring mine to Telford with me. I shall also bring the F/A-45 along as well.

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"