Out Into the Depths of Space...once again...

Started by AeroplaneDriver, August 04, 2009, 09:29:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

Since my aborted attempt at an Airfix TSR.2 has been packed away I decided to go with a little sci-fi build today.  This one will fit into my colonial future history along with my HMS Scimitar from last year and my earlier Talon and Vampire ships. 

It's a 1/72 Dragon P-38 that will become a 1/144 Attack Fighter...

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

AeroplaneDriver

OK, gonna be lots of PSR on this one too, but I expect that on a sci-fi, so no problem there.  General configuration is coming together fairly nicely.  I THINK it's going to be a 1/144 scale heavy fighter with a crew of two, however that may change...it may become a smaller scale, larger ship, maybe 1/350 with a crew of 5-7.  We'll see as it progresses...

These two show the current base configuration.  Not sure which side is the top yet though!

One possible wing/gun configuration, along with a 1/144 Rafale for size comparison.

BlackOps

:thumbsup: Always entertaining when I tune into the AD channel  :cheers:  love where this one is headed!

I really need to get some bench time soon.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Draken35

Eddie M.

Great work! Now yours is the inspiration for mine! :D
Look behind you!

Sauragnmon

I saw keep the original cockpit on top, give it a Naboo-style long nose, and put an anhedral on the outer wing sections.  Have some kind of booster engine down the long forward forks, for something Chopper-esque, but the main drive engines are down the nacelles at the back for max thrust.

Just my two pennies.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

AeroplaneDriver

Not much done today since it was a long say at work, but I did get a little PSR done, and then some general brainstorming on configuration and greeblie hunting.

This is the current configuration, basically unchanged from yesterday.  I'm still not 100% decided on which way is up (and to be honest which way is forward!), wut I'm leaning towards this one.  I did try having no outer wings, but having a single wing vertically mounted in what was the nosegear bay.  It looked really cool this way, but almost too Star Wars-ish.  It also wouldnt allow for a flight deck diorama, which is what I'm planning.  However I havent completely ruled it out.

I'm also still undecided on scale.  The original plan was for 1/144, possibly smaller, but as I get more and more set on the original cockpit being the ship's cockpit I'm leaning back towards making it a 1/72 light fighter.  Configuration-wise it's not too different from the Wyvern heavy fighter I mounted on my HMS Scimitar, so maybe the Broadsword class could carry a few of these..?  Right now though the plan is for it not to be British or US though.  Maybe Indian or Brazilian?  Chinese?  Either way it will soon be fighting alongside the Scimitar against something from beyond our solar system...

For those who havent seen it, this is HMS Scimitar, a Broadsword class Royal Navy Fast Patrol Frigate, c.2120.

BlackOps

Thank you for reminding me how freaking awesome the Scimitar is!  :wub:  :thumbsup:  :bow:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

philp

AD,
looking good. I would go back to 72nd scale.  Think it has the mass for that.

Did you know the MaK Falke was originally a conversion someone did using a 1/32nd P-38.  They liked it so much, they added it to the universe and now Hasagawa kits it (see Greg's thread elsewhere).  See if you can pick out the main pieces.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Tophe

Great!  :thumbsup:
Additionnal questions:
- where are the external wings coming from?
- if this is a 5-seater, will there be windows in the nose? and what to do with the bulb that was the canopy previously?
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

AeroplaneDriver

Thanks for the comments and suggestions guys!

Phil, I wasn;t familiar with the Falke until I saw it on sale in a Squadron catalog on the same day that Greg started his last month.  I heard it was a P-38 mod, and just last night I was looking at Greg's build, picking out bits.

Tophe-The 'wings' (actually shield emitters since it's an exo-atmospheric fighter) are the vertical stabilizers from an Italeri 1/72 X-32 kit (the kit ones were replaced by the ones from an F-18 when I built the X-32).  I think I am going to go with 1/72, so I can display it with my Talon and Vampire ships, but if I had gone with a smaller scale the probable outcome would have been decal or painted windows, with the bottom of the P-38 becoming the top of the ship, and the canopy bulge baving holes drilled in it for torpedo tubes.

Taiidantomcat

Star wars has a P-38:

... But yours is MUCH better. I can't wait to see more. the Triple Ejector Racks on the wingtips is ingenious  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

NEVER seen the Scimiter before, Nick, how old is that (superb) build ?? - Love the P-38 as well, great use of the TER's too  :thumbsup:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)