STOVL Canberra

Started by kitnut617, August 07, 2009, 09:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Here's how it looks fitted to the wing.  Only downer so far is I dropped the wing assembly and the starboard wing broke off   :banghead: :banghead:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

chrisonord

She is really starting to look substantial now Robert, very nice work indeed
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Captain Canada

Yes, coming along nicely. She's gonna be one big bugger, eh ?!

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

B777LR

That is cool! Just as cool as a Danish EH-101!

kitnut617

Progress on this project is like the proverbial glacier ----- but I've got a few things done.

First I repaired the broken wing and then made a start on the second nacelle which didn't get very far.  I then decided to figure out how I was going to do the forward nozzle fairings, which has worked out fairly well.  I used some thick styrene card and after making a template marked out and roughly cut to shape a number of pieces, these were glued together in pairs and then glued to the original stub of fairing I had left on and onto the new nacelle front. Lots of sanding though but then I made the parts oversized anyway just so I get it right.  Here you can see I staggered the pieces as I glued them to form to the curvature of the forward nacelle shape.

kitnut617

Once these parts had dried thoroughly I sanded them into shape.  I then filled the gap with putty and cleaned it up.  After playing with the idea of having the main wheel bay open, I changed my mind so I've filled it back in.  As the new wheel bay is bigger than the original, it extends into the airbrake area, so I've filled that in to, I'll use the Harrier airbrake doors though, I'll install them on the Canberra fuselage, B-57 style

B777LR

This is turning into an all new type. How about renaming it? I propose naming it the English Electric Tasmania.

PR19_Kit

Robert,

I've just caught up on this project of yours. What a total hoot it is, love every bit of it, and can't wait to see the finished device.

Any thoughts on who's airforce and Squadron would fly it yet?

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

arkon

engines are sweeeeeet! hows the tail gonna look,any tailguns?
the plastic gods demand sacrifice

kitnut617

Thanks everyone---

Kit, it will be RAF in a Harrier two tone grey scheme, the Darkmaster and Scooterman both very kindly provided some decals for it, some lo-vis roundels and No.3 Sqn.  The backstory will go along the lines that although technically No 3. Sqn, one or two of these aircraft were attached to a Harrier squadron depending on where it was located.  The idea is that they would penetrate the air defences first and take out as many SAMs and/or Triple A before the main Harrier force followed.

Arkon,  because I've raised the main wing I'm going to raise the tail plane the same amount, this in turn will make the fin taller as I want to keep the tailplane under the rudder, but I don't think I'll put any tail guns on it.  It will be an RAF 'Wild Weasel' even though the RAF doesn't call them that and my idea is with the two Pegasus engines, viffing was taken to a whole new level and was used most effectively dodging SAMs

arkon

had to ask about the tail gun,just think they look cool ,how about tail barbetts on the side like the me-410? viffing is fine with the av-8 but on your big bird will those (awsome) engines be able to push that huge horizantal surface of the wings up ? thank you for the previous answer.
the plastic gods demand sacrifice

kitnut617

Quote from: arkon on November 10, 2009, 05:54:16 PM
had to ask about the tail gun,just think they look cool ,how about tail barbetts on the side like the me-410? viffing is fine with the av-8 but on your big bird will those (awsome) engines be able to push that huge horizantal surface of the wings up ? thank you for the previous answer.

Me too, see below

kitnut617

Bit more sorted out, I was pleased the top part of the Harrier fuselage fitted quite well into the 'hole or slot' I created when I cut out the original nacelles from the Canberra wings.  Not much putty will be required for this side and I hope I can replicate it for the other side..

John Howling Mouse

This is some fancy styrene footwork you've got going on there, Robert.
Most impressive.
:thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

kitnut617

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on November 13, 2009, 08:01:21 AM
This is some fancy styrene footwork you've got going on there, Robert.
Most impressive.
:thumbsup:

Thanks Barry ---