The De Havilland Whats-its-name

Started by monkeyhanger, August 08, 2009, 05:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeyhanger

Hello All,

Second attempt to start this thread, so if its duplicated - sorry.

Anyway, I was starting a Novo (Frog) Sea Venom and then got hit by the Whiffing lightning bolt. I added:

Outer wing panels from a Frog (Novo) Sea Vixen
Radome and afterburner from an airfix Phantom

Then I realised that there was no air intake. So this was sorted using half a Matchbox Meteor radome. I considered giving the "whats-its-name" a dorsal intake - but changed my mind. The tail will probably be twin and the parts come from an ancient Matchbox Phantom - the spare tail pinched from my brother's spares box. That only leave:

armament
colour scheme
decals

to be decided. The canopy will be faired in somewhat and offset (as per the Sea Vixen/Canberra).

If this is Upper Silesia, one can only wonder what Lower Silesia is like.

thedarkmaster

Starting to look good, but she needs a name !  ;D
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

sequoiaranger

How about DeHavilland Phantix?

PHANTom and VIXen?

Or Phenom (a slang contraction of "Phenomenal" sometimes used in American tabloids for a "star" performer)

Phantom and Venom

or "Phenotix", which of course sounds VERY close to "fanatics", which we whiffers all are!

or "Phenomix", which is also close to "Phoenix", when we destroy models to make them into something greater.

Or "Venophix" which is.....just CRAZY!

Trust me, I have had LOTS OF PRACTICE making up names in searching for what is now my "Blordiator" (Bleriator thread).

Question: why isn't there a "smiley face" with question-marks AND a smile instead of a frown??
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

kitnut617

Like the idea MH, I've got a similar plan where I'm going to use the DH.108 I have and make it into a proof-of-concept Sea Vixen prototype
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

AeroplaneDriver

I think DeHavilland Wolverine is the name you're looking for...   :thumbsup:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

jcf

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on August 08, 2009, 10:15:43 PM
I think DeHavilland Wolverine is the name you're looking for...   :thumbsup:

Only if its a DeHavilland Canada product. ;)

jcf

kitbasher

Quote from: sequoiaranger on August 08, 2009, 09:15:43 AM
Or Phenom (a slang contraction of "Phenomenal" sometimes used in American tabloids for a "star" performer)
Phantom and Venom
Mr Embraer has got there first with the real world 'Phenom' bizjets.
I did a dH 'Viper' a while back that looks very similar. 

Posted it up on ARC (see  http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal7/6301-6400/gal6325-Viper-Drake/00.shtm and http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,15975.0/highlight,viper.html) before I'd heard about this forum and getting an invite to join.  My Viper used bits from a Matchbox Hunter FGA.9 and Mystere IV, Merlin Vampire T.11 and a Novo Javelin FAW.9).
Looking forwards to seeing this develop!
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Weaver

With that beaky nose, how about De Havilland Vulture?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitbasher

Quote from: Weaver on August 09, 2009, 03:21:41 AM
With that beaky nose, how about De Havilland Vulture?
Excellent suggestion - sticks with the 'V' theme.  ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

lancer

Sticking with the 'V' theme

Verpine
Vole
Vol-au-vont
Viceroy
Vigilant
Virgin - how many pilots can say the ride a virgin every day??

Had a 'Radish' moment trying to figure the cammo scheme for this blasted Yak of mine!!

I know, I know Hat coat and gone!

If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

monkeyhanger

Nice model Kitbasher. My "name to be decided" has the wing fences from the original Sea Vixen outer wing panels and an under fuselage air intake (hmm, what about FOD, perhaps make it a naval aircraft), but otherwise very similar. I do like the DH108 ancestry. Progress is slow because of the amount of filler I'm using.

As yesterday's weather wasn't good and it was the first day of the football season (and a disastrous Test Match day!) I settled down to see what spares I had. This is were the De Haviland project started but I think I'll start a new thread on this one.

If this is Upper Silesia, one can only wonder what Lower Silesia is like.

sequoiaranger

I've seen variations on this phrase:

"Hat coat and gone!"

or "(leaving with hat and coat)"

I'm an ignorant sot, I suppose, and haven't a clue what this phrase inplies.

Enlightenment, anyone?
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

kitnut617

Quote from: sequoiaranger on August 09, 2009, 10:00:58 AM
I've seen variations on this phrase:

"Hat coat and gone!"

or "(leaving with hat and coat)"

I'm an ignorant sot, I suppose, and haven't a clue what this phrase inplies.

Enlightenment, anyone?

It comes from when someone makes a funny (as in sarcastic mostly) remark, and they are told they can leave anytime, and don't forget to take your hat and coat.  So when someone makes a remark and they know they have, they say "I know , hat, coat and gone" before someone else asks them too   :lol:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Weaver

Yep - it's a way of saying "I know that joke I just made was so corny I should leave now...."  ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones