1/72 Hobbyboss Mig-15

Started by frank2056, August 08, 2009, 12:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank2056

It's a nice kit; don't know (or care) how accurate it is, but it looks more like a Mig-15 than the DML Mig-15/Jian-5 but obviously not as fiddly as the "gold standard" KP Mig-15.

I don't want to build it as a Chinese Borg or Russian or any other standard operator. Any suggestions on colors or nationalities?

I'm leaning towards a full or partial NMF (maybe just the undersides in metal) but other than that, I'm drawing a blank. Literally. All I see is a Mig with aluminum underside and no colors or markings. Help a brother out with some ideas?

Frank

Barry Krell

The RAF had one supposedly.  Luftwaffe?  If the Germans had captured the RR Nene and adapted it to a Ta 183?  Indian?
Aston Martin  - Power, Beauty, Soul.

Aircav

What about a Japanese version captured from the Chinese  ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Geoff

Spanish Republican with the red/yellow/purple roundels.
Italian AMI

thedarkmaster

How about one from an Italy that went comunist shortly after WWII, or how about A peoples republis of Persia on the same premis, and finally France that fell to communists after the 1946 civil war  ;D ;D
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

GTX

May I suggest you look here.

regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

lancer

I agree with the Italian version - Sand and spinach cammo scheme would look killer!!
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Geoff

Quote from: lancer on August 09, 2009, 05:56:18 AM
I agree with the Italian version - Sand and spinach cammo scheme would look killer!!

Yep, seconded!

Captain Canada

I was drawing a blank there.....but now I'm thirding the Italian job !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

A united ROKAF markings circa 1956, after winning the war the south impressed captured ones into service.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

frank2056

I'll have to think about the sand and spinach Italian Mig-15. Although some of the Mig-15s that Greg posted look great!

JayBee

Russian Aggressor squadron in USAF style SEA camoflage.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

The Rat

Quote from: JayBee on August 10, 2009, 11:33:17 PM
Russian Aggressor squadron in USAF style SEA camoflage.

Oooooh, me likey!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

frank2056

I finally finished this kit! It's not a bad model; it went together well and it's nicely detailed where it counts. There are some minor - but easily fixed accuracy issues. My problem was a case of the Mehs; it was very, very difficult to stay motivated and finish this model. I just couldn't get into any of the finishes. I tried an Italian squiggle camo; I did the squiggles with a brown pencil, then later with a brush,  but I wasn't happy with the results. Jeff's link to MiG - A Canadian Success Story! had a profile that I liked - Black Op's Honduran MiG:

I used that as an inspiration for my Honduran MiG-15:

I should have taken a picture from the port side, to match Black Op's profile...

The changes to the kit involved modifying the nose gear to more accurately portray a MiG-15 loaded nose gear. I found an Eduard PE set for a 1/48 MiG-15, so i copied the artwork, scaled it down to 1/72 and printed off some of the instrument panels and the seat belts on paper. That came out OK, although you can barely see anything through the canopy. The gunsight is a piece of clear sprue from the kit, cut to shape. The antenna wire is a nylon string pulled from one of my wife's old nylon stockings.

I used a canopy mask made just for this kit, and it really helped, especially since the framework around the windscreen wasn't visible on the kit's canopy. Weathering was done with sepia ink and some Tamiya powders.

The decals are home made, and instead of my ALPS, I used my color laser printer and printed the decals on white decal paper for the color decals and clear for the lettering. The bort # is the date I finished most of the kit 2009-09. The port wing national markings wrap around the wing, similar to a Honduran Corsair. The tail flash was a royal pain in the exhaust pipe - I printed 8 copies and I destroyed 7 before I got the decal to sit where I wanted it. It doesn't quite fit the rudder, but that's a problem for the Hondurans, not me. I'm done with this puppy!

Frank

Allan

Lovely design, the MIG 15, and I think the reason why is the way the tailplanes are high up the tail fin. I with the Americans did that with the Sabre.
I'm with Aircav on this---go Japanese with a number on the fus rising sun and some colorful unit markings.
Allan in Canberra