Saur's Grand Collection - Shinano Finished!! -

Started by Sauragnmon, August 10, 2009, 05:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sauragnmon

Yep, five turrets, all twin 16" guns.  I'm going to do the ship with an expanded late war AA fitting, so there's going to be plenty of 25mm AA guns.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Sauragnmon

Here's my latest pictures - the Yamagumo DDK Rebuild.  I made the compact 5" guns from the French 100mm turret, with a Mk45 barrel fitted into them.  I added my own CIWS in place of the old torpedo tubes, as they were superceded by the two quad 24" racks.  Mk29 for additional AAW protection.  All totalled, it's a little more ASuW than ASW, though the heavy torpedoes could be used for both one might reason.  Pictures!

Questions, comments, queries and rude remarks are not only welcome, but invited, gentlemen.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

proditor

That's a very beefy looking ship, I like it!  Big fan of the custom CIWS by the by.

Sauragnmon

It is a very sleek and beefy little ship, I love the look of them.  Like I told a friend - you know you're crazy when you're hacking up 1/700 scale Phalanx just to make your own CIWS mounts.

ChernayaAkula

Sure looks the part! :thumbsup: Like proditor, I think the new CIWS design is great.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Sauragnmon

Alright, it's been a little quiet, and I figured I'd take a break between aircraft projects for a moment.  So here's my latest piece - the Project 956M Sovremenny II.  Enclosed launchers, enclosed torpedo tubes with retracting door, VLS for Shtil SAM including enhanced number.  I'll move the salute guns to the forward 630 positions, since I'm going to modify the aft positions for Kashtans.  I'm considering modifying the aft radar setup for a Hot Flash dome, but I digress.

So far, I've got the hull and decks done for the most part - I'll have to come back and add some louvres around the launcher area for blast ventilation.  Anyways, enough yapping, pictures!

As always, questions comments queries and rude remarks are welcome, appreciated, and invited.

Sauragnmon

Alright, plodding right along, I've been working on it more.  I got the guns down, the forward launchers detailed a little more, more paintwork, progress and such.  Not sure on the helipad lines in neutral gray, I'll probably pick them out with something lighter.  Kashtans courtesy of a DML Peter the Great kit, etc.  Pics!

As always - questions, comments, queries and rude remarks are welcome, invited, and appreciated.

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

proditor

I'm really interested in this one as I'm terrified of mashing up Russian ships.  I seem to have no problem hacking up a NATO allied ship without batting an eye, but the russkie ships are so darn busy!  

Cobra

Cool Pics!!!!!!!!!! why do i get the Feel You've been playing 'Naval Ops:Warship Gunner'??????? Hope to see more, and Keep up the Great Work!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cheers: Dan

Sauragnmon

Thankyou for the words, gentlemen.

Proditor - I find myself often mashing the US ships to try and improve on them, while the Russian ships I absolutely love the look of, and often rework the fit more.  This one's out for modernization and decreased RCS when I'm done.  Enhanced capability all around is the plan.

Cobra - I haven't played them in a few years, but they did get me sort of inspired on the idea.  I've been plunking along on this one, I figure she'll be finished soon if I keep it up, then I can get on with my Alt Luftwaffe build, which I won't be stalled on like my damn Navalize It build because the markings will be much simpler.

Sauragnmon

Continuing on the plodding along, another update on the Sovremenny II.  More paintwork, more detailing.  Some of the life rafts are on, most of the Fire Control and ECM sets are in place.  Base for the Top Plate is on, and the Kashtans are finished.  I also took my first try at a brass mast - I was unsatisfied with the original plastic mast, so I took a whack at one of the brass masts in the kit - nine pieces to build it, but it looks good I think.  I didn't add the extra fiddly bits, satisfied with the austere basic of the mast itself.  Anyways, pics!

As always - questions, comments, queries and rude remarks are not only welcome, but invited and appreciated.

chrisonord

That mast sure sets the model off there Simon,I thing that would have been stuck to me more than the ship thats for sure.
Very nice :thumbsup:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Sauragnmon

It's been a little while since I showed something in here, but hey, that's the kind of guy I am.  I got a few things in the last couple of days, so a couple of my projects got a little attendance.  First up, the Frunze got the radar set I wanted to put on her for short range work - Plate Steer.  I got this in the Flyhawk Russian Radar set - Beautiful set, mind the fiddly bits, like the back of the Top Steer/Plate Steer dishes, they're spindly and touchy.  All told, I think it came out nicely.  That said, the Long Beach got the start of her new tower - no, that stack is not staying, I'm just not entirely sure what to do with that yet - do I turn it into a deckhouse, do I cut it off, I'm not sure just yet.  Ideas welcome.  Anyways, enough talk, time for the thousand words part - Pics!

As always, gentlemen, questions, comments, queries and rude remarks are welcome, invited, and appreciated.