Zephyr the best close air support aircraft the RAF never had, or the A-10 in RAF

Started by Big Bird, August 11, 2009, 12:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Bird

Quote from: Sauragnmon on August 14, 2009, 09:58:59 PM
Coming along nicely, BB - going to whif any changes on her aside from the paint?  I'm curious to see if you venture off the path any, she's a beautiful bird so far.
I wasn't going to but.....

Big Bird

Quote from: redstar72 on August 14, 2009, 10:09:49 PM
Here is a little defect, isn't it? (See photo).

Thanks that was the smallish bit of flash that I could hardly see with the naked eye, all smooth now.

Big Bird

Quote from: GTX on August 15, 2009, 11:33:30 AM
Quote from: Sauragnmon on August 14, 2009, 09:58:59 PM
Coming along nicely, BB - going to whif any changes on her aside from the paint?  I'm curious to see if you venture off the path any, she's a beautiful bird so far.

You could try for something like posed in this thread:  http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,160.html

Regards,

Greg
Hmmm interesting....

Big Bird

Quote from: Weaver on August 16, 2009, 03:33:37 AM
I see you've already stuck the Pave Penny on, so this suggestion is maybe a bit late, but:

As I see it , the RAF's principle objection to the A-10 would be it's lack of all-weather avionics, so how about:

1a. Harrier-style FLIR in place of the redundant refuelling receptacle ahead of the windscreen.

1b. Lightning-style fixed refuelling probe under one wing instead of the receptacle (you can't have it next to the cockpit because spillage would go straight down the intakes).

2. Tornado-style chisel-nosed LRMTS fairing, either behind the nosewheel bay, on a modified Pave Penny pylon, or on the front of one mainwheel fairing. Obviously, the first one is easiest (nick it off a Tornado kit) IF it'll fit.

3. Terrain-following radar on the front of one mainwheel fairing.

Now there's some ideas.....

Refuelling I was going to keep the USAF port and add another on one side of the nose, but completely forgot about the spray that comes at disconnect from the drogue. So going to have to address that one.
Yes I think it might need a sniper pod or similar on it somewhere.
Looks like I'm going to have to think some more on this one.
Thanks for the tips guys.

nev

Mish, there are only 2 options for this.

1)  Wraparound grey/green

2)  The above, but with temp arctic camo

k thx bye ;)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Big Bird

Quote from: nev on August 16, 2009, 09:31:12 AM
Mish, there are only 2 options for this.

1)  Wraparound grey/green

2)  The above, but with temp arctic camo

k thx bye ;)
Hi Nev,
I have the 'camo' sorted, but I agree there are loads that could be done.

Weaver

Quote from: Big Bird on August 16, 2009, 09:15:43 AM
Quote from: Weaver on August 16, 2009, 03:33:37 AM
I see you've already stuck the Pave Penny on, so this suggestion is maybe a bit late, but:

As I see it , the RAF's principle objection to the A-10 would be it's lack of all-weather avionics, so how about:

1a. Harrier-style FLIR in place of the redundant refuelling receptacle ahead of the windscreen.

1b. Lightning-style fixed refuelling probe under one wing instead of the receptacle (you can't have it next to the cockpit because spillage would go straight down the intakes).

2. Tornado-style chisel-nosed LRMTS fairing, either behind the nosewheel bay, on a modified Pave Penny pylon, or on the front of one mainwheel fairing. Obviously, the first one is easiest (nick it off a Tornado kit) IF it'll fit.

3. Terrain-following radar on the front of one mainwheel fairing.

Now there's some ideas.....

Refuelling I was going to keep the USAF port and add another on one side of the nose, but completely forgot about the spray that comes at disconnect from the drogue. So going to have to address that one.
Yes I think it might need a sniper pod or similar on it somewhere.
Looks like I'm going to have to think some more on this one.
Thanks for the tips guys.

You're welcome.

Since your back story has them entering service in the late 1970s, Sniper, TIALD etc... wouldn't have been around at the time. Granted, those things could have been added later, as they were to Tornado, Jaguar etc., but the RAF would have wanted something on them to start with. Given that Tornado, Jaguar and Harrier ALL had LRMTS, and that it's particularly useful for CAS work, I can't see the RAF being very happy to take on a dedicated CAS platform without it.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Big Bird

Well taken onboard some of the suggestions and this is what I've come up with:
I've put a harrier style optical dohicky on the nose and probe style A2A on the port MLG nacelle.

And I trying to fashion a Sniper pod

Now what does the panel feel about her carrying a 'Boz Pod'?

More later

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Big Bird

I thought it was a good idea, but I've since learned that the A-10 has chaff/flare dispensers in the wingtips and in the MLG nacelles?

Scooterman

A bit late now, but that defect in the starboard wing leading edge is where the pitot tube goes.........

Big Bird

nev

I like the little mods you've done Mish, but a word about the refuelling probe - its well behind the pilots eyeline.  Not sure how safe that would be (or even if possible).  I'd go for a longer, thinner one like on the Lightning, or a bolt-on jobbie by the cockpit like for the Harrier/Tornado etc.  I wouldn't even bother making it retractable - its not like the A-10 needs to reduce drag :D
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Big Bird

Nev, the probe is level with the pilots eye line, I deliberately made it so  ;D

Weaver

Quote from: Big Bird on August 21, 2009, 05:58:38 AM
I thought it was a good idea, but I've since learned that the A-10 has chaff/flare dispensers in the wingtips and in the MLG nacelles?

Don't hold me to this, but I think those are a later addition, so maybe the Brits went down the BOZ pod route for their own reasons (different decoys?) or maybe they have both: can't have too many flares!

- Indiana Jones