1/700th scale HMS Habakkuk WIP (aka Project Habakkuk)

Started by seadude, July 19, 2009, 05:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sequoiaranger

I was looking in "White Ensign Models" website, for something else, and found that 1/700 Fairey Fireflies, Hawker Hurricanes, even Westland Whirlwinds (oops---'copter or pugnacious twin-engined fighter?) are available. This link might take you there:

http://www.whiteensignmodels.com/acatalog/index.html?http%3A//www.whiteensignmodels.com/acatalog/catalogbody.html&CatalogBody

My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

seadude

Well, I hate to go, but it's time I said "Goodbye" in this thread..........but only for a limited time. I'll be gone for Thanksgiving holiday here in the U.S. and visiting family, then working some long work shifts the next few days. So I probably won't have anything new to report till beginning of December. And besides, I've probably monopolised this forum enough already with my incessant questions, posts, and pics. Sorry. :(
But here's one last tiny update for now...........

I've been working on removing/stripping the dull coat and Dark Sea Blue paint off the flight deck as I had previously mentioned back on Page 7 or 8 of this thread about a mistake I made when trying to paint the flight deck. I've been using a product called "Gojo" which is a pumice hand cleaner that another model friend told me to use and it seems to be working ok except for trying to remove the yellow line.......which I might have to use sand paper for. Anyway, it's a slow process that'll take me a few days or so.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Sauragnmon

Monopolising?  Scrag that, Big E, we're just quiet here, and I've been busy with this damn Viper I've been working on so no progress on my stuff at current.  Looks like you're doing well on the stripping, short of the yellow stripe, but hopefully that all works out decently in the long stretch.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

sequoiaranger

Not at all.

I, for one, am sincerely and enthusiastically interested in this worthy project. I might have done it differently, but I am enjoying the thread and the project immensely. PLEASE keep "us" updated. I have faith in the final product, regardless of how and when you do it.

proditor

I agree with everyone else.  Heck, I'm in the middle of a move and I'm not even sure where half of my stuff is anymore.  ;)

Happy Holidays, and by all means, come back with more updates!   ;D

Brian da Basher

Even though I'm not a ship modeler, I've been enjoying your Habbakuk immensely. I'll miss the updates, etc. but I imagine when you post next this amazing project will be even better!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

seadude

No major updates I'm afraid. :( Work has been very busy and I've had little free time at home. If I can squeeze in some time to work on this project again, then I will. But I suspect there might not be anything major till January after the holiday season slows down. As always, if anybody has any questions about my project, then just shoot me a PM or post here in the thread and I'll answer as best I can. ;)
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

seadude

Back again. ;) Back on Page 10 of this thread, another modeler made a reply (Post #142) about how I could modify my Habakkuk superstructure so that I could add another stack, since a real Habakkuk would've had two stacks and not one. Well, It looks like I may be scrapping my current superstructure and building a complete new one. Why? Well I just got a DRAGON 1/700 USS Pennsylvania battleship kit in a Xmas gift exchange and it just so happens that for some odd reason, there are Essex AC parts in that same kit.  :blink: Two bridge superstructures and two smokestacks to be exact! So now it looks like I can do the Habakkuk superstructure the way it was originally intended to be. As for my first completed superstructure, I'll try to save what I can as far as armament and other small parts.

sequoiaranger

>Back on Page 10 of this thread, another modeler made a reply (Post #142) about how I could modify my Habakkuk superstructure so that I could add another stack<

Maybe me.

>I just got a DRAGON 1/700 USS Pennsylvania battleship kit in a Xmas gift exchange and it just so happens that for some odd reason, there are Essex AC parts in that same kit.  Two bridge superstructures and two smokestacks to be exact!<

Fabulous! Serendipity at work. Now maybe you can try the add-on method (without needing to chop up the current island) and see which one you like!!

seadude

Nothing major new to report. The holidays are still keeping me busy. :( But I've got a important question to ask and I need major help.
I'm still having problems on how I'll build, and what to use, for the 2 dozen turboelectric engine pods that are around the circumference of the Habakkuk. The only thing I can think of to use and modify is some aircraft bombs. But I haven't been able to find and buy the right type and quantity I need. Casting parts in resin is out of the question as I don't have the materials, skills, and no experience casting stuff in resin. The turboelectric pods are supposed to look like the following. I scanned a page from that William J. Wallace article about the Habakkuk which someone sent me, which was in Warship magazine or whatever.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/icyhusky/HMS%20Habakkuk%20model%20project/scan0002.jpg
The actual dimensions of the pods would've been 60 ft. long x 25 ft. high x 18 ft. wide. In 1/700 scale, that comes out to roughly 26mm (About 1") long x 11mm high x about 8mm wide.
Does anybody have ideas/suggestions on how I can make these and get the extra propeller shafts, propellers, and support struts?

cthulhu77

I cast quite a lot of stuff, as does John Howling Mouse...I am sure we could make your parts fairly easily.

seadude

QuoteI cast quite a lot of stuff, as does John Howling Mouse...I am sure we could make your parts fairly easily.

That's very generous of you to offer. :) Thanks. The engine pods for the Habakkuk are probably the one thing that has given me the most trouble (except for painting issues) on figuring how to build, etc.  :banghead: Anyway, feel free to send me a PM if you need more info.  :thumbsup:

Brian da Basher

If the casting doesn't work out, try 1/72 scale drop tank halves. You could even smash-form them from one drop tank using sheet plastic. They wouldn't be an exact replica, but they'd be pretty close and more streamlined as well. I'm sure someone makes a set of photo-etch props that would work.
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

seadude

Well, it's a whole new year, and my resolution is to try and get this done by April for a future contest. So today, I started to get back to work on sanding the flightdeck down and removing the botched paint job I made which I explained about a few posts earlier. I used a pumice hand cleaner called Gojo which worked fairly well 70% of the time. But there's areas that it didn't do so well like the yellow stripe down the middle, and near the edges of the flightdeck. So this afternoon, I've been sanding down the flightdeck with 60 grit, then 100, then 150 to try and remove as much leftover paint as I could. When I feel I've reached as far as I can, then I'll finish with 220 grit. But the question is: Do I have to COMPLETELY get off ALL the previous blue paint, etc. before re-applying with new paint and dullcoat? There's some spots that seem just too stubborn and won't come off no matter how much sanding I do.  :banghead:

Hobbes

That depends on the paint you want to use. If it's the same type of paint, you don't have to sand it all off. If the new paint is incompatible, the old stuff has to come off first.