1/700th scale HMS Habakkuk WIP (aka Project Habakkuk)

Started by seadude, July 19, 2009, 05:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Even if it's incompatiable, a coat of Johnsons Klear/Future should prevent the two different paint types from interacting.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

seadude

cthulhu77:  If you're reading this right now, then check your PM's. I sent you a message. Did you get it? It was in reply about casting of engine pods for Habakkuk.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

seadude

Ok, I'm back......and will hopefully be trying to get more progress done on this ship in the next several weeks. ;)
Anyway, I sanded as best I could the flightdeck which I showed in an earlier pic. But there were still areas around the edges of the flightdeck that no matter how much sanding I did, the previous blue paint would not come off.  :banghead: But I've got it to about as smooth as I could make the deck again, and then repainted the deck:

So now.....I have a question: What color should I make my flightdeck markings? From all available pics and sketches I've seen of the Habakkuk, there's a wide line going down the middle from bow to stern. Then two more lines going across at the stern and the bow. Sorta like this:

I was thinking of painting the deck lines yellow to show a little more color so that the model wasn't so "gray, blue, and red" so to speak. Or does anyone think the deck lines should maybe be white?
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Brian da Basher

The deck looks great, seadude! I'd go with yellow lines for visual appeal.
  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Looking forward to your next update,
Brian da Basher

seadude

QuoteI'd go with yellow lines for visual appeal.

Yeah, I was kinda thinking the same thing. And also, planes that need to land need highly identifiable markings, especially if you're going to land in North Atlantic region where it can be overcast, cloudy, hazy, foggy, etc.  The Dark Sea blue deck I have would blend in too much with the ocean water when seen from high above. Granted, yellow lines would also be seen from enemy aircraft that were flying overhead and give away the position of the ship. But there's little the enemy could do since the Habakkuk has 40 ft. thick hull and 150-200 fighters to protect it.

seadude

Ok, tell me if I'm crazy or if I made a mistake......or both?  :blink: I finished painting yellow marking lines on the flight deck as I had mentioned I wanted to do above in Post 167. So I have to ask: Whadda you think?

And here's a pic showing my previous built superstructure and a few planes sitting on the flight deck for scale. (The superstructure is not glued to the deck. It is just sitting there for scale/reference.)

Brian da Basher

Looks like a million bucks, seadude! The yellow lines really add some nice color to your Habbakuk!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

sequoiaranger

That looks really nice!

I take it the large bands on either end "define" the "square" area of the deck on which to land, and the long, central line can differentiate between the two "runways"(?) Just kidding! I can just picture a Lancaster coming in to land, touching the tailwheel down on that central line!

Now all it needs is the extra stack-extension for the island!  ;D

I know the photo is only a mock-up, but when the island eventually is affixed, I would put it tight against the right side of the deck. Even on a carrier that big you want as much flight deck as possible to avoid collisions and give "wiggle room" for the aircraft. You wouldn't need any more than a walkway (or 20mm gun gallery at most--like on the Yorktowns) on the sea side of the island. The Essex-class carriers had NO walkway around on the sea side--just a straight plunge to the sea from anyone diving off the right side of the island.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

seadude

QuoteNow all it needs is the extra stack-extension for the island!

The flight deck will be finished this weekend or next week, then I'll start work on the new superstructure that I'm going to build.  :thumbsup:

Mossie

Looking good!  The yellow markings certainly make it stand out. :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

seadude

Ok, now I'm debating adding a second set of skinnier yellow lines on the flight deck. Look at the upper left corner of this pic of the overhead view of the flight deck and you'll see two additional skinnier lines on either side of the main center line. I'm wondering if I should add those also or just leave what I already have as is? What do ya think?
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2474/3668383815_9b6ba59610.jpg

Mossie

Why not?  It suggests a centreline for two landing strips, the Habbakuk was large enough to have to them.

seadude

Hey Mossie! Now tell me what you think? As far as I'm concerned, the deck is pretty well finished. I'll be starting the new superstructure soon.

cthulhu77

Mossie

Those thinner yellow lines definately add to it, looks good!  The only thing I'd suggest to add is some thin black lines to show where the deck lifts are.  I don't think they tended to mark them up (I might be wrong) in wartime, but it would show the edges & where they are located?