1/700th scale HMS Habakkuk WIP (aka Project Habakkuk)

Started by seadude, July 19, 2009, 05:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sauragnmon

Big E, she's looking awesome, man.  Seriously awesome work there.  The paint's cleaned up, the colours are sharp, and the elevators are decently visible, which gives it a good overall look.  Major hurdle is out of the way.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

seadude

QuotePlease remind me just how big that model is again?

Comparison of the 1/700 scale wood Habbakuk hull against 1/700 scale USS Nimitz aircraft carrier, 1/700 Iowa class battleship hull, and two 1/700 Essex class WWII aircraft carrier flightdecks laid end to end, with room to spare!

Specifications for real ships: V
Habbakuk – 2000 ft. long x 300 ft. wide x 200 ft. high.
Nimitz aircraft carrier – 1092 ft. long x 252 ft. wide x ? height
Iowa class battleship - 890 ft. long x 108 ft. wide.
Essex aircraft carrier – 872 ft. long x 93 ft. wide x ? height

Quoten/t

What's wrong, sequoiaranger?  :blink:

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

PR19_Kit

Jeepers, that's nearly three FEET long! In 1/700 no less.

Very impressive!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Looking very nice!  Glad you're cracking on despite the setbacks.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

sequoiaranger

>Jeepers, that's nearly three FEET long! In 1/700 no less.<

Yeah, she ain't a "petite" li'l something. I think when it's done and has some 1/700 aircraft (especially twin-engined) on the deck, she will look truly monstrous.

>What's wrong, sequoiaranger?<

Nothing. Just wanted a quick, encouraging comment, so didn't elaborate.  :smiley:
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

seadude

QuoteJeepers, that's nearly three FEET long! In 1/700 no less.

When I build, I build BIG!  ;D LOL!

Anyway, I'm afraid I just got some bad news tonight. :( A modeling friend that I've known for a long time and have gone to numerous contests with is having a "major health issue" (which I won't elaborate on) at the end of March, which means the April 10th contest I was hoping to take my Habakkuk to, won't be going. :( Since I don't own or drive a vehicle due to bad eyesight, he would pick me up and we'd both go to contests from time to time in the past. But not this time. But I guess this is good news too as I don't want to rush this project again like I accidentally did last November and I don't want to make any mistakes. So, I'm a bit bummed right now at not going. :(
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

anthonyp

Holy cow, this thing is a labor of love.

Coming along nicely  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

seadude

QuoteHoly cow, this thing is a labor of love.

Actually, it's more like a love/hate relationship. :P  ;D  :banghead:

seadude

Hi again.  :thumbsup: Another update for tonight. Back on Post #190 of this thread on Page 13, I mentioned about trying to make engine pods from a fuel tank half. Well, it looks like a lot of people at various places "pressured me" to try my hand at making resin parts and I guess that's what I'm going to have to do. I got the following supplies from a Michael's craft store here in the U.S. -
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/icyhusky/Random%20model%20stuff/DSC02843.jpg

.........and a few nights ago, I began to create a small box, add my model fuel tank part, then start making the mold:

I have to "build up" the mold a bit by adding a few more layers of compound, wait for it all to dry, and then it should be finished by Monday, and then I can start casting resin copies next week.

In other news, I have also started to begin adding the armament around the circumference of the Habakkuk model. I still have one side of the hull to finish yet. Sorry about the blurriness of the pics, but hopefully you should be able to make out the 5" guns, 40mm placements, and the 20mm galleries.

Stargazer

I hadn't visited this thread for a while, but it's truly impressive how you've not only salvaged your Habakkuk but also MUCH improved on it. Can't wait to see it finished!

seadude

Ok, I need some advice on a few questions I have.

I pretty much finished adding the armament around the circumference of the Habakkuk except for on/near the bridge superstructure which I still have to build and add. In the following pics, you can pretty much see where all the 5" guns are, the 40mm tubs, and the 20mm galleries. So my question is: Is what I have enough? I'm trying to get some sort of equal balance. I don't want the circumference to be too crowded. Though I still need to add the tiny tubs for the Mk.51 directors near all the 40mm emplacements, plus I want to add a few searchlight emplacements around the circumference too.

Because of the large amount of 5" turrets (28-30) on the hull, I figured I'd have to increase the number of Mk.37 directors from 4 to 8. Four directors will be on the superstructure, while the other 4 will be at each "corner" of the ship as shown here:

Also, I'm not sure how I want to detail the "ends" of the ship hull. I could either put a few small 20mm galleries along with some 5" turrets as shown in the first pic below, or I could add 20mm, 5" guns, plus maybe some 40mm in the second pic below? What else could I add to detail the ends? Maybe a few life rafts? I don't think a ship like this would need anchors, chains, etc.

Sauragnmon

I'd vote for the 40's, it seems a little more balanced that way.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

proditor

You've done a great job of bringing this baby back form the brink.  She's just amazing!

tinlail

just a thought, although the ship would never anchor, something is needed to steady the ship during construction and launching. The details of both operation are however somewhat unclear to me.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: tinlail on March 21, 2010, 09:16:57 PM
just a thought, although the ship would never anchor, something is needed to steady the ship during construction and launching. The details of both operation are however somewhat unclear to me.

Doesn't it have it's own gravitation field for that..................?  -_-
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit