1/700th scale HMS Habakkuk WIP (aka Project Habakkuk)

Started by seadude, July 19, 2009, 05:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

Well, I took time out today and started making the 2 dozen engine pods I'll need from modeling clay. The clay I'm using air dries after several hours. I'd rather work with that type of clay than to try and use another type that I'd have to "bake".
So anyway, Later this week the pieces should be dry, then I'll have to fill in any imperfections with putty, then sand them. I've got enough propellers and shafts from spare kits which won't be a problem.

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

seadude

If I thought this project couldn't get any worse, then I'm afraid it just did.  :banghead:

After I finish detailing the engine pods that you see above in a post, I then have to figure a way of attaching them to the sides of the hull. There'll be about 12-13 per side. But here's the trick........Trying to attach them without messing up the red painted hull, plus trying to make sure all the pods are in the same locations and same distances, etc. on both sides of the hull. Here's a sample pic to show the approximate locations of the pods:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/icyhusky/HMS%20Habakkuk%20model%20project/scan0001.jpg

The first row of pods is 50 feet below the waterline. The next row of pods is 30 feet below the first row. Each pod is about 200 feet between them in each row. I got the measurements from a diagram in an article by William J. Wallace about the Habakkuk.  
Anybody got any bright ideas as to how I'm going to get these in their proper places and spaced evenly, etc.?  :blink:
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Scooterman

Draftsman dividers and a good rule. 

Make youself a ruler from a long piece of tape.  Be accurate when transfering marks to tape.  With that done, stick tape to hull.  (you are using low-tack tape right?  ;D )  Use this as refs.

Use sharp end on dividers to mark a tiny point in hull.  Do this both rows, both sides.

After motor pods are done, find mounting point and insert small but stiff wire.

Drill holes for pod rods (a lot of them)

Mount pods.

Simples!

OK seriously, that was the very short version on how I'd do it.  I'm too tired right now for details but I wanted to get that down before I went to bed.  I can explain further if needed later or somebody might expand on this a bit better.........

Mossie

Another method is that you could blow those plans up on a photocopier to 1/700, then tape it to the sides of your model.  Mark the positions through the paper with a scribe or similar, or cut the holes out in the plans before hand & mount the pods in the gaps.

Another way to mount them is to super-glue them onto the sides.  To add strength, drill holes into the sides of the mode (as many as you think you'll need per pod).  Shoot some super glue into the hole, then insert the wire.  You'll need to fill & touch up the hole, but this makes it a little bit easier to align the pods.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

ajmadison

I had to mark straight lines on a rounded fuselage like shape.  I have one of those carpenter laser levels.  It wasn't that expensive and is a tool you can use on home repair.  The beam is a little wide for model purposes, so I cut a slot into a piece of plasticard and taped it to the front of the guide.  Line the beam up where you want it, and at least everything will be on the same line.

Here's a picture of my setup:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k170/ajmadison/1000_1_RefitE/013.jpg

Here's a clear shot of the beam:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k170/ajmadison/1000_1_RefitE/014.jpg

seadude

Used Scooterman's suggestion and did the following tonight. As for the spacing of the pods in the second pic, I did some rough calculations and each pod (In the same row) is 3 1/2 inches between them.  

seadude

There's something else I forgot to ask: Since the engine pods are made with clay (air dry) as shown above, Then do I need to put on some sort of clear coat, laquer, varnish, etc. to protect them in any way before I paint them?
If so, then with what?

seadude

I'm pretty much done making the 2 dozen teardrop shaped propulsion pods for my Habakkuk as you can see in the first pic below.
The only thing I need to do is add the propeller support struts, shafts, and the propellers. When I started building the Habakkuk, I bought a lot of extra 1/700 ship kits for spare parts (guns, structures, etc.). I went through all those extra kits tonight and got together all the propellers, struts, etc. that I needed. Unfortuneately, everything is all different sizes, etc. even though it's still all 1/700 scale (See second and third pics below). Fortuneately, another modeler is helping me by offering to make about 3 dozen new propellers for me. ;) And I'll probably use thin brass rod for the propeller shafts. But now here's the trick: How the heck am I going to make the 2 dozen support struts? And they all need to be the same size/scale too. Anybody got any good tips and suggestions?

seadude

A long time ago, I think I had mentioned somewhere in this thread the following about how the outside of the pykrete hull of the Habakkuk would be covered in some form of insulation layer.

QuoteWallace's Warship article says of the outer layer for the Habbakuk:

"The outside hull would be insulated by a complex 9in thick composite material, made of plywood and insulation boards (masonite type) in 27 layers. This tough outer shell would dovetail together and be attached to the hull by 1ft 6in dowels embedded in the ice."

So to better explain and show what that means, I decided to try and do a sample drawing of the following. My apologies if anybody can't see it clearly enough. I scanned the drawing into my comp.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/icyhusky/HMS%20Habakkuk%20model%20project/habsketch.jpg

seadude

Small update.

Talked to another modeler on the IPMS website forums days ago, and he helped to make some propellers for me as shown in the pic. All I need to do now is figure out the propeller support struts. I've talked to another modeler about those and I sent him some extra pods and other parts in the mail to experiment with and see what he can come up with. As far as other things go, I'm working on other details like adding extra searchlights, more life rafts, detailing the interior cross-section, detailing aircraft, and a few other odds and ends.

seadude

While not about my Habakkuk model, the following is "Habakkuk related" sort of. A friend emailed me the story.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1316517/Ice-boat-sinks-sea-BBC-presenters-ship-melts.html

Mossie

Quite funny!  Seems they didn't really put to much consideration into it, first thing that struck me on seeing the pics was that the Pykrete was in direct contact with the water.  The various experts seem to have it all worked out.

Quote'I think we've proved that Pykrete works but it is unstable.'

Funny that, being made of ice! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Having the odd engineer on the design team may have helped too. <sigh>

When WILL the Beeb realise they don't know everything 'in house' and start to call in real experts when it gets to the nitty-gritty? And it's OUR licence money they're spending (or sinking....) too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

seadude

Long time, eh? Not much new to report. Pretty much the entire month of October, I have been lazy and unmotivated to work on the Habakkuk. :P Not sure why, but I just have been. Been in a modeling rut I guess. Unfortuneately, a model contest is coming up in a week, so I guess I'll have to get back to work.
Biggest hurdle is still the damn engine pods. The pods themselves are done. The propellers were cast and shipped by another modeler. But the next hurdle is the propeller support struts. I've asked another modeler for help with those, but have not heard anything back. I'm really unsure of what to make them with.
If I can't find or think of anything, then I suppose I could just insert a small length of rod into the Habakkuk propulsion pod, then attach the propeller at the end, and call it done. But, I tend to think that might look "cheapish" or tacky if I didn't have the propeller struts also. Might look tacky or something else when being viewed for judging during contests, know what I mean? Anybody got any ideas or suggestions?

Hobbes

I assumed the prop would be directly on the end of the pod, like this: