1/700th scale HMS Habakkuk WIP (aka Project Habakkuk)

Started by seadude, July 19, 2009, 05:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

And the left side is done for adding the engine pods. ;) However........I'm not sure what I did wrong, but the pods on the right side don't match up to the ones on the left.  :banghead: I did all my measurements correctly to the best of my ability. But if you were to stand on a chair and look straight down on the Habakkuk from above, you'd see that the pods don't quite match up being "across" from one another. The pods on the right side should match the same positions as the ones on the left, and vice versa. But they don't. There appears to be a variance in 1/4 - 1/2". I don't know what the hell I did wrong.  :unsure:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead: It's too late to change anything as all the pods are glued on. If I remove them, I'll end up damaging the red painted hull.
*sigh* This whole project has been a nightmare from hell. If anybody plans to build a Habakkuk in the future, then please take my advice and DON'T. And if you do build one, then Good Luck to you.

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

PR19_Kit

Ah yes, that difference in the position of the pods on each side was to minimise the harmonics of the wake, so that it didn't generate the resonant frequency that matched the natural frequency of the Pycrete............  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

seadude

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 01, 2011, 05:04:44 PM
Ah yes, that difference in the position of the pods on each side was to minimise the harmonics of the wake, so that it didn't generate the resonant frequency that matched the natural frequency of the Pycrete............  ;)

:blink:  :unsure:  :blink:  :unsure:
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

scooter

That would have been...bad.

BTW gorgeous work.  And I probably would've settled for a WL model, so as not to punish my brain any further.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

philp

Quote from: seadude on February 01, 2011, 05:10:23 PM

:blink:  :unsure:  :blink:  :unsure:

He means that it could be possible that if the engines to Port were in the same position as the engines to Starboard, the vibrations could hit that exact frequency that would cause Pycrete to separate (I think).

What he is trying to say is that if anyone asks, it is supposed to be the way you did it.  I mean, who is going to know.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

seadude

I think some people might be confused by my Post 375 where I said the pods didn't match the positions correctly.
Take a look at the following link. Specifically the middle diagram with the above view of the Habakkuk hull. The green lines I added are how all the pods are supposed to be: The left side being "across" from the right side, and vice versa.
The red lines are how all the left side pods actually ended up after I glued them all on. All the pods for the left side of the hull are slightly further forward than the right side ones, mostly by 1/4 - 1/2". I'm not sure what to do, if anything, to correct the issue. :( Should I just leave both sides "as is" and call it done for adding the pods?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: philp on February 02, 2011, 09:45:49 AM
He means that it could be possible that if the engines to Port were in the same position as the engines to Starboard, the vibrations could hit that exact frequency that would cause Pycrete to separate (I think).

What he is trying to say is that if anyone asks, it is supposed to be the way you did it.  I mean, who is going to know.

Exactly!  :thumbsup:

Being a structural test engineer, amongst other things, I know all about resonant frequencies and stuff.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

philp

Seadude,
Just leave it as is and get er done.  No one is going to running around the contest circuit with a set of Habbakuk plans and you can only look at one side at a time.

And if someone actually has the audacity to question the placement, just use Kit's explanation.  Besides, the plans could have changed if the real thing had been built and they found out Kit was right, right?

In other words, you have done so much cool stuff on this build, don't fret it.  Besides, I can't wait to nominate it for a Whiffie.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

seadude

DONE!  WELL.......ALMOST.  :drink:  :drink:  :drink:

All engine pods, propeller struts, propeller shafts, and propellers, have now......FINALLY......been added. Damn, I should get a medal for all the hard work I've done. The engines have been the most frustrating process of this whole project. But, here they are in color photos. Enjoy. Now the only things left should be minor details like more life rafts, some searchlight platforms, detailing a few more aircraft, and some other stuff. Comments and questions about anything are welcome as always.

Ed S

Congratulations on an exceptional accomplishment.   Well Done!

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

NARSES2

This has been a truely monumental piece of work - very well done  :thumbsup: :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: seadude on February 02, 2011, 07:25:46 PM
Damn, I should get a medal for all the hard work I've done. 

No doubt about THAT! Failing a medal, a Whiffie would be just deserts, it's magnificent in so many ways.

How much does it weigh though? Do you need a fork lift to carry it about?

Regards
Kit

Stargazer

I hope you get a Whiffie for this, it's certainly well deserved!!!  :thumbsup:

Although you say it was hell completing that project, I think the end result is largely worth the efforts and sweat. Don't you think so?

Cliffy B

Crack open the beers its time to celebrate!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Stellar accomplishment sir, STELLAR!  Even though it gave you hell you can always look at it and feel immensely proud of what you were able to build.

Now, where's that airwing?  Hmmmm???   ;D
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

seadude

QuoteHow much does it weigh though?

I have absolutely no idea. Model + base? Maybe 10+ lbs. or so?

But as I said, There's still more to do. This model ain't 100% done yet (Though I wish it was.). Mostly smaller details like:
* Adding more life rafts
* Possibly adding more flight deck markings, though I'm not sure what?
* Finish adding a few more British aircraft, as well as finishing/adding some American aircraft.
* Add a few searchlight platforms around the circumference of the hull.
* Add Mk.51 directors for 40mm guns.
* Detail amidships cranes with rigging.
* Finish detailing the display base with Specifications sheet and other details for size comparison.
* Add flightdeck tractors and forklifts.