B-58H Hustler 1/144th Scale

Started by Modelling_Mushi, August 12, 2009, 04:58:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modelling_Mushi

G'day all

Latest project on the go follows, had a bit of delay in posting it while the computer tossed up wether to live or die in a cloud of acrid smoke.

Story behind this one is that in late 1962, at the end of the B-58 production run, General Dynamics/Convair was running a think tank predicting future air warfare needs and strategies. It was quickly realised that although the B-58 was, performance wise, a world beater, it's reliance on tanker support for deep penetration was a drawback that would limit it's service life. What was feared by GD/Convair was that, in around 10 to 12 years time, a B-58 replacement with greater range but lesser performance otherwise would be procured, and whispers were about that Rockwell were considering a mockup using the latest swing wing technology. GD/Convair felt that the basic design of the B-58 was more than adequate, what was needed was some tweaking at the edges.

In mid 1963 the basic design concept of what was known as the B-58H was locked down, and by year's end the USAF had ordered 4 pre-production airframes. The H model differed from the A model in having a clean wing profile with canted winglets; four uprated J79-GE engines, capable of a maximum of six hours continuous operation at maximum thrust, mounted at the rear of the airframe; a large mid section fuselage extension housing fuel, uprated electronic defence and navigational aids; reduction in crew numbers to two;  and large forward canards. The multi-systems under fuselage pod was retained, however the Vulcan cannon was deleted.

With these changes the B-58H kept its scorching performance, even in the face of greatly increased MTOW, and added a greater weapons capacity to boot. Of more importance was the fact that the dash range of the aircraft, both at high and low level, was over two and a half times that of the A model. Effective mission range was now well in excess of 3,000 miles, as measured from the point of last pre-strike refeulling, greater than the B-52 and flown at just over mach 2 to boot.

By September 1964 all four pre-production H models had been produced and flown, and in the first three months of test flying 12 of the 19 world speed and altitude records set by the A model were bettered by the H model. In March 1965 the USAF placed an order for 156 examples, the first being accepted into service in October 1965 and the type soldiering on until finally withdrawn in June of 1993, some 28 years later.

The Model. Donor plastic is an Academy 1/144 scale B-58A. I am just about ready to bring the major components together and start the hard work.

Picture below shows the main components laid out.

Picture below shows them in place, giving an idea of the final layout.

Still to come is some obvious puttying and sanding, geting the weapons pod together, and fitting the canards. Any comments, ideas etc welcomed.

Ciao

Mass
Going to be finished in 2021 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Studio

JayBee

Gerry Anderson, eat your heart out.
:wub: :wub: :wub: :cheers:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

The Rat

COOL!

I agree with JayBee, and I think we need a new phrase for stuff like this: Very Gerry - def: 1) A what if model with a look that would fit comfortably into the Gerry Anderson type of universe, as in "That beauty is Very Gerry,  2) A modeler who has a propensity for turning out such models, as in "That guy is Very Gerry".

And this model is 'Very Gerry'!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

jcf

Personally I 'd go with that's Very Meddings or Very Trim as those guys were really the folks that gave us the Anderson look
machines. Props to Gerry for series concepts and production, but the other guys deserve more credit for design.

Modelling_Mushi

G'day all, some quick pix of the B58H as she is ready for the grey primer. I've modified the external weapons/fuel tank to a RAM/SCRAM jet powered cruise missile, will be mounted a la the B58A. Hopefully will have her in colours by months end.
As usual, any comments etc more than welcomed.
Ciao
Mass

Going to be finished in 2021 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Studio

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Shasper

Thats is bada** sir!

Do you plan on finishing her wheels up or wheels down? If you're going dirty may I suggest moving the nose wheel to somewhere aft of the canards?
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

upnorth

Good lord is that a nasty looking beast! I love it ! :thumbsup:
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

tigercat2

What a fantastic concept and a great model; can't wait to see the finished product.  What paint scheme will you use:  NMF, SEA cammo, SIOP grey, etc?

Wes W.

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

That is outstandingly gorgeous!  :wub: :thumbsup: Makes a Blinder look positively dowdy.....

Reminds me of a big version of one of the unsuccessful TSR-2 contenders, but I can't think which one off-hand....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Sauragnmon

Sweet Zombie Jesus that is a wicked delta bomber.  The podded engines, the long nose, she's just WICKED!!!!!
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

tanktastic43

jcf

The mission pod to shark-like cruise missile conversion is brilliant.  :wub:

frank2056

This is a great build! You should put a shark mouth on that cruise missile!